John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Liquid Shine Illuminating Shampoo & Conditioner

John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Liquid Shine Illuminating Shampoo & Conditioner

4.2

WATER, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE, COCAMIDOPROPYL BETAINE, COCAMIDE MEA, HYDROLYZED SILK, OLIVE OIL, AMODIMETHICONE, BENZYL ALCOHOL, POLYQUATERNIUM-10, CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, TRIDECETH-12, DISODIUM EDTA, MALIC ACID, SODIUM CHLORIDE, GLYCINE, PPG-9, METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE, METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE, FRAGRANCE, EXT. VIOLET 2

on 2/4/2016 7:36:00 AM

For the shampoo (as per picture of brown tube):

This is probably one of the best 'drugstore' shampoos you can buy, with a few caveats. It has solid ingredients that differentiate it from the standard shampoos (silk, olive oil, amodimethicone, cetrimonium chloride), without adding filler ingredients or 5+ different forms of fragrance as is often the norm in cheap shampoos (and others in the JF range of course).

In terms of performance, it really does add shine. Its subtle but it's there. Personally I find SLS-based shampoos too harsh, so I alternate this with a very gentle product. So I am not using it all the time, but use it to clarify and remove buildup. It has made my hair a little bit shinier and a little bit softer - and I guess because I use it as an occasional "harsher" shampoo, it does give some volume after the first wash.

I'm taking a lippie off for the fragrance.....whilst it is a floral scent, it definitely matches the packaging well - "brown" somehow? I hate those kinds of sweet floral-y scents, but it's manageable as I'm not using it every day. I would prefer no fragrance obviously, but as that's a near impossibility in haircare you have to let it slide. And I wish it had a different preservative system.

But yeah, this is a very solid shampoo. For the money ($12 at Priceline) and size and what you get - and obviously the fact that it does actually make your hair a bit shinier. I am not thinking of buying it again because I currently have this plus 3 other shampoos to finish, and as it will last a while. It is still an average shampoo, but I guess it's sort of the 'average' that all other shitty drugstore shampoos should look towards trying to achieve!

on 3/30/2015 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

this review is only for the shampoo.

i love this shampoo! it cleans my hair very well and definitely gives it a nice shine. it smells good and the bottle seems to last a pretty long time even though it's only 8 oz.

To Read all 33 Reviews, Login or Join

I used this when I stayed at my sister's house. I have fine, oily scalp, dry end hair which I have to wash most days. Although this combo made my hair look totally gorgeous after blow-drying (body, shine, no dry ends or flyaways in sight - and all without product!) it also left build-up in my hair. The conditioner contains the dreaded dimethicone. I am on the fence about buying this duo for myself - if it's on special offer I probably will but only for special nights out and using a clarifying shampoo the next day.

on 10/17/2012 10:18:00 AM

Wowwww wow wow! My hair was naturally dry,dull & ashy, I haven't colored my hair in 2 yrs and didn't want to start now. So Happy I bought this product because now my hair shines and looks as if I just had my hair treated. Thus far I have only used the shampoo cause I wanted to test it out first and now I will be going back for the conditioner, money well spent! So ladies if you're looking to liven up your dull hair I highly reccomend this, there's nothing else @ this price for what it does.

on 8/9/2012 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Just simply awful. I was hoping for beautiful waves of glossy brunette hair cascading down my back after shelling out NZ $50 on the shampoo and conditioner. It was not to be. Even after following the instructions explicitly and trialing them desperately, the shampoo burns my scalp turning it into a big mess of itch and the conditioner somehow manages to make the roots of my hair drier with a mass of flyaways and the end are a horrible greasy mess. Also I found my hair starting to break off. I was completely horrified. Never again.

I received this as a sample in the mail and just tried it and it is AMAZING! I equally liked both the shampoo and conditioner. They both looking a little shimmery when coming out of the package and the smell was great. I only had to use a little bit of shampoo on my shoulder length hair and it went a long way and it seemed to get my hair really clean. I applied the conditioner all over my hair and left it on for a few minutes to soak in. My hair felt incredibly soft when rinsing out and after my shower. My hair was even shiny when still wet before drying it. Now I have naturally curly/wavy hair and it tends to frizz a lot and I like to straighten it a lot during the week. My blowout was so smooth and soooo shiny. I didn't even have to flat iron my hair that much afterwards to get it straight. And my hair then stayed straight, smooth and incredibly shiny all day and was even great the next day for second day hair. I would recommend this to anyone. The price seems a little high but you can find this on sale at your local drugstore often. I think that the price is worth it because your are getting great products and not salon prices. I have dark brown hair with light blond chunks that can tend to be dry or frizzy looking because of the bleaching. These products smoothed out the blond chunks and made them look healthy again. LOVE THESE and will be buying again!

on 2/11/2012 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I real soooo many good reviews about this and I wanted to love it sooooo much but when I wash my hair it dries the part where I put it on so much! It's hard to explain but when I come out of the shower and brush my hair, I feel as though my scalp got so dry that I cant even run a brush through it...I'm also noticing shedding so I just dont undersatnd how so many people like this, is it only me? I also notice it makes my hair near my scalp (where i use it) very dry and its obvious that its dry during the day..... i wanted to love it but im gona use it only when im out of my other shampoos..ugh disappoing.

I bought these on offer and I love them. My hair had become so frizzy everytime I washed it. Particularly if I blow-dried it. But not anymore! They are a little pricey if you're on a tight budget, but as the saying goes, 'a little goes a long way'. If you make sure to use only a small amount they can last for at least a couple of months. Thanks to these lovely items my hair now is no longer frizzy, but instead looking healthy, soft and shiny.

on 11/16/2011 7:53:00 AM

I bought the shampoo and conditioner along with the Liquid Shine gloss/serum on a 3 for 10 offer as I wouldn't as happily part with my money to buy them otherwise.
I originally bought these as I was sick of how frizzy my hair became since using hair dyes. Blow drying my hair was a definite NO, as it only seemed to make the frizziness worse! I had bought John Frieda Brilliant Brunette shampoo and conditioner before and they lasted me months, (you only need a small amount each time) so I knew these would last me a while.
I admittedly was a bit sceptical as to whether these would work but having used all three each time I wash my hair, I wouldn't be lying by saying they actually do make a difference. My hair once again looks shiny and frizz-free :)

on 10/23/2011 2:21:00 PM

I got the shampoo on sale, which made it reasonably priced. But it's over priced for the size of container normally. I also find that the packaging isn't that great because when I leave it in the shower water collects in the cap and when I go to open it a bunch of water falls out.

I have naturally thick, dark auburn hair that's decently shiny in its current short cut. This shampoo hasn't done anything to make it more shiny, I don't know what these other reviewers are talking about. I guess it depends on your hair type, but I definitely won't be buying this line of products again.