Sigma F55 - SMALL DUO FIBRE BRUSH

Filtered by skin type : Normal

2.5

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the absolute worse brush I've ever used. I was hoping to find a dupe for the MAC brush for stippling, but I was very wrong. Don't waste your money on this brush-- it sheds like crazy! I've had this brush for half a year, and it sheds 1cm long black bristles all over my face. After applying my liquid foundation, I have to go back and pick off each bristle-- SOO ANNOYING! So now I've finally moved on to better quality brushes. I believe even drug store brand stippling brushes are better than this one.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I am new to this stippling / duo-fibre / skunk brush hype, I'll admit. In fact, this is my first one. Originally, I wanted to get the MAC 188 or Laura Mercier Finishing Brush, but I simply can't justify the costs at the moment (with all the summer collections coming out, I'm on a tight budget!). However, I am saving up for a MAC 130 now, since it's a LE and will be repromoted in one of the up and coming collections soon.

On to the Sigma... I really do like it, and I think this is a product that can't be faulted for the price point it is at. I bought mine for around 8 or 9 on love-makeup.co.uk, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore (so I'm very glad I bought it whilst it was available). For comparison the MAC 188 is 25, so over 3x the price! The brush arrived very neatly packed with a cheap plastic brush guard, which is a plus in my book since even high-end companies don't include those most of the times. Anyway, the Sigma is soooo soft that I just love to run my hand over it. It isn't terribly firm, but it is by no means floppy. The ideal middle ground leaning towards softness and flexibility, I guess. I used it to apply pigmented cream blush, and for the first time I didn't look like a slapped clown. My fingers didn't do the trick when applying it, and my Prescriptives foundation blush (which was suggested by a MUAer) was way too stiff and couldn't blend properly. I also tried using is as a foundation brush, and loved the finish it gave! In fact, this was one of the very few methods (the other being damp sponge) that worked with my VERY problematic Laura Mercier Oil-Free Foundation. The only niggle was that it is slightly too small to cover the face as quick as a larger brush would, so a bigger counterpart would work better for this task.

Despite it being a cheap brush, I haven't encountered any major problems with it. It doesn's splay too much, and it doesn't bleed dye at all (I know that some people have encountered this problem). The only thing that I don't like about it is the shedding. It sheds a lot by any standard. And even though you have to pick a few hairs off your face after the application, it isn't a deal-breaker for me. Once it stops shedding, I'll be more than willing to increase the rating from four lippies to five.

If you're on a budget and looking for this kind of brush, this is the one to jump at. Even if it irks you that they are apeing MAC. I would re-buy this in a heartbeat, as it performs all the tasks it is assigned to very well. If it weren't for the shedding, I would love it, so I hope it'll start in a while. Definitely a good brush!

Popular Makeup Brushes