Sigma F55 - SMALL DUO FIBRE BRUSH

Filtered by age: 25-29

3.4

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

One of the worst brushes I own. It sheds like CRAZY, every time I use it I have to pick stray hairs of my face. The brush is so thin that it is not at all good for applying foundations. I think you would be better off with a coastal scents brush because this one is terrible. Don't waste your money on this brush, some of sigmas brushes are amazing and definitely up to par with more expensive brands but but the f55 is not one of them!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've never owned a Mac brush since they are way out of my price range, so I picked this up. I do have some shedding when I clean it up nothing major. This gives the most perfect application with cream blushes, I have always found it hard to use my finger to apply them and that can make my cheeks look a little blotchy and uneven. And if a blush is very vivid and bright this gives a nice sheer application giving that nice glow. Something none of my other brushes give with those types of blush. I am considering purchasing another since it is a skunk brush and holds the color you last used. Also, the brush is super soft. So, yes of course I will buy again.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I use the Sigma Makeup SS188 every morning to apply my liquid foundation, and haven't been disappointed in it yet! It's small enough to get under my eyes (and hide those dark circles!), around my nose, and also blends a smooth layer of foundation on the rest of my face. I think this is a great brush!

i wanted to find out what all the hype was about on youtube, so i bought the ss188 brush. keeping in mind that it is not exactly like the mac brush, it delivered the same airbrushed result. I liked how the bristles allowed a little bounce-it wasn't too stiff/firm- the perfect firmness to apply foundation.

the ss197 is a great brush to reduce streakiness, that's what i used to buff out all my makeup. it's out of stock now though, didn't know it was that popular! i guess you can be on the waiting list though.

good brush for good price.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I can't live without my MAC 187 or 188. If I had to choose between one I would probably pick the 188, so that's why I decided to buy this brush as a back up to my MAC one.

This brush is an okay brush, but doesn't compare anywhere to the MAC one. The bristles are a bit longer on the Sigma 188, so it has a tendency to droop when I press it on my face. The MAC 188 bristles are a tiny bit shorter and denser, but I think make for better blending of foundation and concealer. The Sigma brush isn't bad for light bronzer or blush, but I wish it would blend like its MAC counterpart. Not bad for the price, but I wouldn't recommend this one.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I think this brush is okay. It does the job. I wish it was more stiff to stipple my foundation. I prefer my MAC 188 brush.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I bought the Sigma SS188 specifically to apply liquid foundation using a stippling technique. While I do like this brush it is by no means perfect, it has definite pros and cons.

CONS: The SS188 sheds. Upon first washing it shed two hairs. Since then it has shed one to two hairs per use and also per washing. I wish the SS188 were just a bit more dense. The shorter black bristles on a duo fiber brush work by holding the longer white bristles in place. I wish the white bristles were a little denser and more finely distributed so that I could get a finer application. I also wish the black bristles were denser so they could hold the white bristles in place more securely. Application could be better - the white bristles don't stay as separated as I'd like and so I get larger "pixels" of foundation than I'd like when stippling. The white bristles that end up sticking together also pick up more liquid foundation than the white bristles that stay separated - this makes for an uneven application, which requires another going-over with the brush, which makes the foundation thicker, which defeats the purpose of stippling which is supposed to create an airbrush thin layer of "pixelated" makeup...you get the idea.

PROS: First and foremost, the price - $14. This truly is a quality brush for the price. The question is though, is this brush a quality brush amongst other duo fiber brushes out there. Price wise, the SS188 lands in the middle - cheaper than MAC, more expensive than Sonia Kashuk & Coastal Scents. I think it's pretty easy to say in this particular instance that you get what you pay for - the MAC 188 is best, the Sigma SS188 is next in line, followed closely by the Sonia Kashuk, and finally Coastal Scents. The SS188 has an excellent long black wooden handle with nickel-plated ferrules - the look of this brush is very MAC. I can see the quality and fine craftsmanship in the handle & ferrule. The bristles on this brush are nice and springy - they are firm enough to bounce over my skin when I stipple on my liquid foundation while being pliable enough not to harshly poke my face. Application using a stippling technique with the SS188 is nice, not perfect though - it does work the makeup into the texture of my skin which gives my foundation a more natural appearance.

OVERALL: I'm glad I got this brush. It's not perfect but it's a great backup brush for me because I really love the effects I get from dup fiber brushes (thus I use them a lot). I would recommend this brush as a backup brush for people who love their MAC 188 and want an extra duo fiber brush for when their 188 is dirty or still wet from washing. I would highly recommend this brush for someone who is just starting out with makeup - I certainly would have LOVED to have a brush this nice back then. It's got it's pros and cons but the Sigma SS188 is a quality brush for the price. It's an impressive product considering how new the company is. Hopefully Sigma brushes will continue to improve as the company reviews feedback from consumers.

Popular Makeup Brushes