eos Smooth Sphere Lip Balm

Filtered by eye Color : Green
eos Smooth Sphere Lip Balm
Smooth Sphere Lip BalmSmooth Sphere Lip Balm

3.5

Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Beeswax (cire d'abeille)*, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Flavor, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Stevia Rebaudiana Leaf/Stem Extract*, Tocopherol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract*. *ORGANIC

on 1/4/2016 4:24:00 PM

I finally gave in and spent the £7.99 Topshop was selling these for (the only place in the UK that sold them until a few months ago) after seeing everyone on the internet, especially youtubers, recommend this product. After seeing the adorable packaging, and smelling the delightful, fruity scents, I was instantly drawn in. However, the I was very much disappointed after the first time I used it, as instead of delivering a hydrating formula, it seemed to dry out my lips even more. I assumed this was because it was near the end of winter, and so allergy season was coming closer. I religiously used this for the next few months, and I even convinced myself to buy a new one, thinking that because all the other youtubers seemed to like it, it must've been me being very strange. I was shocked to find that after applying the blue (Blueberry?) EOS, that my lips began peeling, and after continuous application, began burning. My lips hurt so much I could barely move them. Definitely do not recommend

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

This is a general review as I feel people should know that all the 'flavors' are not alike.
The package is always the same, just a different color....a sphere that has a slight flattening on two sides so you can set it on a surface without rolling. Honestly, people, it's no more prone to rolling than a regular cylindrical balm. If you need something that won't budge, you're going to be stuck with either pots, like what Carmex or Rosebud Salve come in, or those cube balms that are ripping off EOS.
The spheres are not pocket-friendly, but they're super easy to find blind in your bag due to the unusual shape.
Yes, the part where it screws together gets a little icky sometimes, but if you're honest with yourself, you know that Chapstick-style tubes get icky around the cap too. So it's a wash in those respects.
The formulas ARE different, and I think that's where people are getting bad information.
For example, the lemon flavor contains sunscreen, which alters the texture and is horrible for me (I react to chemical sunscreens, and I wish they made lemon in non-SPF 'cause the scent is divine). One (the tangerine, I think?) is medicated, like Carmex. Two or three are designed to be 'softer' than the regular formulation (the ones with the swirls on the sphere). And so on.
Overall they ARE on the waxy side of the lip balm world, which you'd expect because they have to hold a spherical shape even when you're smashing it against your mouth, not to mention they contain fewer chemical/petroleum products than mainstream balms.
You get a VERY generous supply; the sphere is solid balm, and even when you get to the 'framework' at the bottom, there is more underneath that you could take a lip brush to.
They are not pricey in the grand scheme of things. I own three dollar lip balms, twelve dollar lip balms...I mean, they make fifty dollar lip balms if that's your bag. Try one; you can hardly go too wrong for 2.99. I have tried: sweet mint, lemon drop, blueberry acai, raspberry pomegranate, coconut milk, the blue swirl one (name escapes me), watermelon wonderland, sweet vanilla,orange blossom, aloha Hawaii, and whatever the other ones in the Rachel Roy limited edition set were.
My personal faves are the pomegranate, aloha Hawaii, sweet vanilla, and the pink grapefruit Rachel Roy (don't remember the name!! D'oh!!!)
The sweet mint was my first one, even though I dislike mint...the texture of that one is less waxy and the sphere color is too cute. Lemon drop disagreed with me cause o' the SPF, and I just didn't care for the scent of the others. The coconut milk one smells tangy to my nose, though it too is soft and plusher than the others.
Aw, give it a try. It's three dollars and it'll last you at least six months. I know they're trendy and all, but i could not possibly care less what a Kardashian is putting on or in her mouth. If anything, the fact that they hawk them makes me LESS likely to want in on it...so that should tell you how nice and pleasant some of the formulations are. I will continue to buy in spite of the company they keep!!!!

on 4/7/2015 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Pros: -Smells good
-Cute packaging
-Cheap
-Variety of colors/scents

Cons: -End up throwing it away before finishing
-Starts to smell weird after a couple months of having it
-Starts to collect grime very quickly
-Doesn't moisturize well if you have chapped/flaky lips. Make sure to exfoliate your lips before using this.
-Thick and waxy
-Leaves your lips wanting more, must keep reapplying

All in all, it's ok, but definitely not the best.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I used these for about two years because I love the look of the packaging. I thought that I just had very dry lips, because every morning and evening I would scrub flakes off my lips while washing my face. After trying a couple of different balms, I realized why: the eos spheres barely moisturize. I apply lip balm every one or two hours because I find the feeling of dry lips so unpleasant. With the eos spheres, if I didn't have access to balm as soon as I needed it, my lips would become painful - not just dry-feeling.

The other thing, as a couple of other reviewers have noted, is that the twisty part collects an obscene amount of grime. It's pretty gross and I put up with cleaning it because I love the packaging, but really: you can do better. You can find lip balms that moisturize AND that you don't have to clean. If you want to try an alternative, I'm currently using and liking the Nivea Essential lip balm.

Before I tried this lip balm I thought the packaging was literally the stupidest thing ever invented, however, after using the product I know realize how terribly wrong I was. They conform so perfectly to your lips, allowing for easier and faster application.

I should also note that I am on Accutane and only a handful of lip balms can actually moisturize my lips, and this brand is one of them. I have tried the lemon, orange, melon and today bought the coconut. So far the coconut seems amazingly moisturizing.

on 11/23/2014 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Such a hyped up product, but it sort of sucks. It's too hard and isn't very moisturizing at all. I don't really have anything good to say about it aside from the round ball, which makes application easy (though you have to run it over your lips about twenty times to even get any balm on you).

on 9/25/2014 3:16:00 PM

Yes, I will always buy these again, even if my 2nd grader takes a bite out of them, even if I misplace them. I started buying these in 2008. Originally they had the Lemon Drop flavor w/out sunscreen & it was delicious & moisturizing, but my then toddler kept eating them. The flavor disappeared & I quit buying the other (mostly like scented) flavors. When they brought it back, it's just to drying. They've rolled out with the swirled domes and these are MUCH better. I like the vanilla-mint flavor. I think they have an extra humectant ingredient in there? Anyway, stick to the swirled domes for the best moisturizing.

on 9/16/2013 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

This is actually a review for the little sphere things in Blueberry Acai (couldn't find it xD):
Although the whole line is listed as a moisturizing balm, they really don't do that much moisturizing. The packages are really cute, but they're hard to store anywhere due to their spherical shape. The scents and variety are also great, but as far as I can tell it's purely cosmetic. The Blueberry Acai sphere doesn't moisturize, but when applied overnight it does leave me with fuller lips in the morning. I don't know what it is about it, but it's a happy accident ^.^

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I love EOS products and I was so excited when I saw this product in Duane Reade... I only ever saw the spheres and thought the sticks were only sold online. It is about the same price as one of the spheres too.
First off, I love the packaging. It's very seek, simplistic, and futuristic... like all EOS balms. It feels nice to hold in my hands too.
It moisturizes well. The reason I gave it 4 lippies instead of 5 was because the vanilla scent is sort of fake and plastic-y. I would like to try the pomegranate stick to see how it compares.

on 9/19/2012 10:45:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I do understand that the packaging is cute and the smell of these are wonderful etc.. but the product itself is rather lackluster and I don't feel it does a good job at moisturizing my lips which is what it's supposed to do.
Would not repurchase.