Joan Rivers - Great Hair Day - thinning hair fill-in powder

Joan Rivers - Great Hair Day - thinning hair fill-in powder
Joan Rivers Great Hair Day Ingredients

on 3/9/2017 1:03:00 PM

I had high hopes for this, based on the advertising, but I find it hard to apply, always patchy and hard to blend, and the blonde shade looks very reddish on me. If I can get it to look right, it only lasts for a few hours, then becomes very patchy. I suppose it could depend on what hair products one uses, or how oily your hair and scalp are. I have normal, not oily, hair. The brush is nice, but does not help with blending. I tried using a makeup sponge, and that worked better for getting coverage, but again, it only looks good for a few hours.

I have dark hair so I got the brunette. I've been using Toppik and it works but thought this might work better and easier to apply in spots. VERY disappointed. It didn't do anything at all for me. NO COLOR cover up. I have thin hair due to hormones and a couple of spots that are quite sparse. I kept applying over and over and still nothing. It's going back and I'll ask for a refund. Will stay with toppik

on 2/9/2015 5:21:00 PM

I have fairly dark hair, and light skin. My hair is starting to gray and I now have my hair professionally colored in a shade just a bit lighter than my natural brown. When my roots begin to grow out, the gray is really noticable and makes it appear as if my hair is very thin around my hair line. That's where this product comes in. I use it to hide those gray roots between salon coloring visits. I no longer want to do any dye myself...just too messy. And for me, this has worked better than any of the other temporary solutions I have found. I apply it around my hairline and along my part...just anywhere the roots are obvious. Works great!

on 4/7/2016 2:13:00 PM

Dealing with hypothyroidism and hormonal issues, I've suffered through cycles of hair loss and regrowth over the past 10 years. I'm currently using Lipogaine for women to maintain the hair I have (it's like Rogaine but with additional DHT-blocking ingredients) but recently after going through a telogen effluvium caused by DHEA supplements my well-meaning Dr had me take, my scalp became obvious in the frontal area as well as the corners of my hairline.

I lost a bagful of hair because of the DHEA supplements 4 months ago; I even had to have 8 inches cut off because my hair was everywhere and clogging the drains. This lasted 3 months and left me with see-through hair I needed something to get my self-esteem back. I decided to try the Joan Rivers great hair day in Blonde for my highlighted hair, after seeing the generally positive reviews; As others have said the Blonde is a medium brown shade that blends in well with brown roots, I think any shade of brown roots would work with the Blonde except the darkest brown. Right away after the first application I was so happy; the brush gives you excellent control over where the product goes (unlike hair fibers), it looks completely natural and for once I wasn't thinking about my scalp. It stays on without budging and I've never had pillow transfer. As one reviewer mentioned, it is matte so you have to be careful when you apply close to the hairline.

Another benefit of this product is that it contains Pro-capil which is supposed to fortify the hair roots; I've seen Pro-capil added in a number of other hair regrowth products. New hairs are growing on my scalp as I'm recovering from my last shed so it's a definite plus for me to have a product that will protect and fortify the new hair roots as it conceals. To my knowledge, this is the only hair concealer that has Pro-capil in it.

A lot of people complain about the price and compare it to eyeshadow; but it's really not the same thing because eyeshadow just doesn't have the staying power of JRGHD. Yeah it is a little expensive, it would be nice if they could make it in a refillable case and you could just purchase the refill pans instead of the whole kit every time. I only apply it on the front top of my scalp and in one corner that is particularly thin so the pan is lasting me a long time. JRGHD looks a million times more natural than hair fibers (Toppik etc) I feel so much better about my hair situation.

on 11/16/2014 7:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I have blonde for my dark brown hair. It works well in concealing my grey which is what I use it for. The brush it comes with is very good quality compared to other fill in powders. I use the brush when I try to use Wow root concealer - but that product pretty much is useless. Covers the grey roots and gives a little volume. It's a good product.

on 2/19/2015 10:17:00 AM

OK, I'm lazy. I started using Rogaine but realized after a few days that I was not willing to commit to a daily application for the rest of my life! So I tried the JR fill-in product in blonde (my hair is dark brown) and it has worked beautifully, as other reviewers have said. My only complaint was that the brush that comes with it was too small - maybe not for use at the hairline, but for use on top of my head and along my part. My solution was to apply it with a fairly stiff-bristled foundation brush and Voila! I was finished in no time! As others have also noted, it looks very natural and stays on until you shampoo it out. Caution - if you are blonde, I don't think even the light blonde color would be light enough for you, but for those of us with darker hair, it is truly a great find.

on 11/24/2012 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Today, I received this product in Light Blonde. First, I had a problem opening the compact-like container. After I managed to open it, the lid separated from the bottom and I will have to work at it to put the compact back together - in which case it will be difficult to open again. The product looks like a cake of light brown eye shadow - which had I bought that would not have cost me $29.50 plus $4.47 S&H. I applied some (with the brush) to my grey roots and it's okay in terms of color. You can't get it too close to your hairline because the color is so obvious on your scalp. The instructions do say to avoid the quarter inch before the hairline. Frankly, I feel ridiculous for ordering this product (from QVC) as the only advantage to it is making Joan Rivers even richer than she already is. One more thing - there is a mirror inside the compact. Who in the world would use a tiny mirror to brush on hair color?
----------------------------------
After posting the above, I read AndreaJunelle's posting just below mine. The net weight of the product is .24 oz or 6.8 grms. That's not large - it's tiny for hair color. Also, note the photo of the product which looks like an easel. Try to reassemble the pieces after disassembling them.

on 11/24/2012 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Best thing ever. I have been using it for a few years now, if you are thinning at all it makes all the difference in the world for your confidence. Also works for eyebrows and covering roots. I recommend rinsing the brush after each use, you get a better application.

on 1/7/2014 4:01:00 PM

wow, this product has changed my life!! I've used Caboki as a hairloss concealer for a few years and although its worked very well, I always had a problem applying it on my hairline, which is where I need it most. it seems all hair concealing products suggest not to put it on the hairline because it will look vampirish, but unfortunately for me that is where I need it most.

comparing Caboki to Joan Rivers I found that Joan rivers is probably more geared towards women than men. It would take forever for a man to apply the Joan River's to a big bald spot at the back of the head, and you'd likely have to use a mirror, or better yet, get someone to apply it for you. the Caboki in this sense, is much easier for a guy... just shake it liberally all over the bald spot and it looks great! Unfortunately it looks terrible at the hairline - for some reason it clings to the scalp there and I really had to fiddle with it to make it look presentable.
The Joan Rivers worked great on my hairline!! It didn't look completely natural, but at least it didn't sit on my scalp and was much easier to control how much is needed where. the color match was perfect for me as well (brunette for my Asian hair).

both are supposed to be waterproof, but if it rains I suggest you get an umbrella.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Very smelly. It's not a bad smell, but it's strong & if you're scent sensitive it never goes away. A small amount goes a long way. It's easy to go from "I don't notice a benefit" to "I look like I drew in my scalp" so practice with it before leaving the house. Definitely get the blonde if you have brown hair as Joan says. It sticks to your scalp, but if you scratch your head you will see it on your finger nail so keep that in mind when out. I've never used this product outside of trying it around the house because the smell & the feel of it on just bother me, but I'm scent sensitive. Since it's on QVC & returnable, I'd say definitely try it.