Swiss Kriss Herbs (Loose)

I decided to try this out after Amy Sedaris endorsed it on The Top Shelf (from Into The Gloss). If you're not familiar with her, aside from being awesome and hilarious, she's in her fifties and has gorgeous, glowing skin.

I'm not religious with this, but when my skin's messed up or I have a bit of extra time to pamper it, I mix about a tablespoon of the flakes in a large metal bowl with some hot water (about 208°). I mix it a bit with a chopstick and put my head over the bowl with a towel over my head, which I try to seal around the bowl. If it gets uncomfortably hot (and it usually does at the beginning), I'll lift up the towel a bit to cool things down. Set a timer! I'll steam like that, schvitzing into the bowl, for five minutes.

I can see why some people are so dedicated to this as part of their beauty routine. I won't claim to know why, but afterwards, your skin feels so smooth and healthy. It looks more even and clear. Today I did the steam and I even noticed that my nemesis, a line on my forehead that was looking unusually prominent today completely disappeared. Today my boyfriend saw me doing the steam and wanted to try. I definitely noticed his skin looked more even and glowy after, too, so I don't think it's just placebo. While my pores are still nice and loose from the steam, I personally like to follow with a mask (Queen Helene Mint Julep or Aztec Healing Clay), followed by moisturizer. I've been using clay masks for years, and I feel like with the steam there's a synergistic effect and the mask can be extra effective and thorough.

While I haven't been diligent enough with the steam to call it indispensable, I definitely think it makes a difference, and I'd like to make an effort to do it at least once a week. Considering how cheap it is and if nothing else a nice ritual to do when you really feel like spa-ing out, I would recommend trying it.

on 8/25/2012 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Warm

I am probably on my 10th box of this stuff. I first read about it in the 70s in a beauty how-to book. When I want THE cleanest feeling skin I can get, this is what I turn to.
It's soothing, cheap, and no cleanser on earth will achieve this new-born babe skin feeling.

I bring a pan of water to a boil, dump in a few tblspns of the Swiss Kriss, let it 'rest' a few minutes, then make a tent with a towel over the concoction and just relax. I wipe skin dry with cotton pads or a fresh towel and sometimes even repeat the process.

To Read all 4 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/31/2009 1:32:00 PM

Excellent product. I've used it since I was 13. So soothing, tightens pores, gets rid of impurities. 100% reccomended.

on 7/18/2009 5:02:00 PM

This review is for SWISS KRISS BULK HERBS. Don't be mislead by the product name because it says "laxative". Yes, it is used for that purpose, but can also be used as a facial - they are just a mixture of pure, dried herbs! :>)

SWISS KRISS HERBAL FACIAL SAUNA:

I've been using these herbs in the dried loose form since I was 13. It makes an excellent at-home, herbal steam facial. Best of all, it's cheap, it''s relaxing, fun and really good for eliminating toxins from the skin. At the drugstore or health food store buy a box of the Swiss Kriss herbs. Do not buy the pill form, you will want to buy the loose herbs. They come simply packages in a green and white box (see photo) and then in a small clear cellophane bag. Once opened, I like to repackage in a ziplock.

Fill a 2-quart pot with water and bring to a boil. Add one to two tablespoon(s) of the herbs and place on a table. If the table is glass or wood, place a thick towel underneath the pot to protect the surface. Protect your hair with a plastic cap. Cover your head with a large bath towel, put your face over the pot and do not let the steam escape. Let the steam go right into your face keeping it at a comfortable distance from the steam for three minutes. Later increase it to five minutes.

Put on a timer. Your face will perspire and loosen stale make-up, rancid oils, blackheads, and every bit of dirt in just a few minutes. Your pores will be wide open and ready to be cleaned out. You might be shocked at what comes out of your pores at first. With regular use, your skin becomes accustomed to this and you will be get compliments that your skin is "glowing".

Then, I follow with this pulverized oatmeal masque that I make with :
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons whole uncooked (dried) oats (pulverize into a fine powder in a spice gringer or mortar and pestle)
1 tablespoon honey

There is something about this blend that gets out anything that is left over in the pores after the steaming. You smooth it on, let it dry, then gently scrub it off with warm water. Then use a moisturizer. Don't do this if you have any active pimples though. The lemon content will irritate your skin. It makes your skin glow like crazy. Regular use eliminated all of my blackheads. Irregular use means a Biore Pore Strip before I begin.