The Body Shop Body Butter

3.5

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have dry skin and psoriasis in winter. Because of that I need a heavy duty moisturiser, the super thick kind that only comes in tubs, and I was tired of bland bulk pharmacy stuff. I tried TBS Wild Argan Oil body butter and it's amazing! My skin feels soft but not greasy, the scent blends with my winter perfumes, I have no dryness, only two psoriasis patches from before using this, my somewhat sensitive skin didn't react, and my friend said I look like I moisturise religiously! Finally! It's only been 8 years of wallowing in greasy goo for someone to notice.
The texture is like a soft butter and glides on, absorbing quickly to a powder soft finish. Quick repurchase so I don't run out! Very pricey for how much I use but as a luxury/now and then/need a change item it's perfect. I know the 'no animal testing' claim is iffy but I appreciate the attempt at ethics.
The second I tried was the cocoa one. I hate it. Nice light nutty chocolate scent but so greasy. This is resigned to being slapped on my feet before being covered with socks before bed.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I have used: Moringa, Orange, Grapefruit, Mango, Coconut, Shea, Olive and Chocolate.

Pros: THE scent. It is wonderful. I absolutely love Moringa,Grapefruit, Shea, Chocolate, Olive and Coconut, Mango a bit overrated and the Orange scent was way too strong, being almost suffocating for my roommates when I had to apply it. It lasts all day, so you don't really need a body mist after that. It hydrates really good and it feels good over my skin.

Cons: The price. Too high. Not paying 20 bugs for a small lotion like this.

To Read all 14 Reviews, Login or Join

I used the body butter during both of my pregnancies to avoid stretch marks and have to say I was lucky to not get even one. I don't know if it was due to the body butter or if it was good genes... I love the smell but do not enjoy having to scoop out the product with my fingers (pet peeve to have lotion or other things stuck under my nails), nor do I enjoy how long it takes the lotion/cream to absorb into my skin. I bought a tub of this again a few months ago, just a mini size and after using it once I remembered just how greasy this feels to me. I can't seem to bring myself to reach for it again so will not be repurchasing. There are just so many better lotions and creams out there that smell fantastic and do not leave a greasy feel on the skin.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I am now officially OVER the Body Shop's butters in various scents, colors and thicknesses. They mostly smell a bit plasticky and I hate dipping my fingers into the pot (Ick.). Was cool in the '90's - today - not. so. much.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I own the mini's in coconut 1 & recently RIS Smoky Poppy. I love them both & they are the minis so good for keeping in ur bag, I use it after whenever I wash my hands afterwards, for when I'm out & about. I'm wanting to get some of the other travel sized 1s & 1 larger 1 but finances saying NO! As much as I want to get another $20 for the full priced 1s are hard to stomach. I have a ton of bath&bodyworks/vs to finish up anyways I'm kind of more month than the money already lol the smoky poppy is really pretty & fresh; & of course I cannot resist anything vanilla/coconut lol I don't really think these are heavily fragranced (disappointed coz I like very scented items as long as it's not going on my mouth!). Is nice that Ulta carries the body butters. I just never got into TBS or Kiehls I love LUSH too but I just don't purchase lotions much anymore w my B&BW/VS. I would repurchase! They are very high quality.

Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse

I wanted the body butter because I thought it would be better for dry skin. I love the strong scent of the butter - especially the magnolia. Unfortunately, I had to stop using it because it wasn't doing much to better my dry skin - it just made me smell awesome.

i love the body shop body butters because they have lots of scents and they are also very hydrating ,making your skin look and feel gorgeous.The price is ok because a body butter will last you for about 4 -5 months.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is simply not worth the price. 20 bucks for a lotion is way too much. The scents of the lavender and strawberry are simply amazing, and I could smell them ALL day. The product itself is yes-rich and soothing, but so is Eucerin, and that's only what, 5 bucks? The jar is not fun to use as well. Thank goodness I bought this ON SALE!! Don't buy.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse

Normally the price of these beauties are $19-20 (USA) at Ulta or The Body Shop themselves but I actually found a Vanilla Duo at Ross for about $8. When I stumbled upon this I couldn't believe I was holding one in my hands because for a teenage girl who has to pay for her own makeup/beauty items, $20 is a pretty daunting price. Personally, I don't like anything about vanilla but I could not pass up the opportunity to try it. The scent smells almost like it is processed, but it fades quickly. It comes in a round, plastic container with a screw off lid and a divider to seperate the normal lotion from the lotion for dry skin warranting it a four in packaging. The body butter itself for normal skin is very soft and creamy and goes on like a dream. However, the lotion for dry skin (for your knees, elbows, etc.) is mediocre. It is very thick so it clumps together and takes a lot of rubbing for your skin to absorb it fully. It makes my skin very soft especially combined with my Tree Hut body scrub.I love the idea and I would repurchase even at full price.
***EDIT***
Upon continuous use I have changed my mind about this product. When I use this my skin feels somewhat greasy and 'tight' but not in a good way, more like my skin can't breathe. Even the lotion for normal skin feels heavy and tacky. This is kind of a bummer considering that this is normally 20 bucks. Needless to say, I will not repurchase this especially at full price. Next time I will wait until I get over my infatuation with the product to write reviews!

I have been using TBS products since they landed in the US, in the early nineties. After all these years, they are still my favorite bath products. Since L'oreal purchased the company, TBS has become very promotional, which is a good thing, because I always thought their products were overpriced. I have used many different scents on and off over the years, and here's a rundown of my favorite and not so favorite scents:

Candied Ginger: Seasonal ~ It's my new favorite and I absolutely love the scent. IMO, it's a dead ringer for Origins Ginger. I paid $3.00 for the body butter, so I ordered five of them. I ordered multiples of every SKU in this scent. It may become my new favorite, bumping Satsuma and Moringa further down the list. I wish this was offered all year long.

Cranberry Joy: Seasonal ~ I purchased this on sale, and I've been using it everyday since Christmas. I only bought two, one large and one small. It's light and fruity, but not sickening sweet. I don't think it smells like cranberries, but it's a nice scent for this time of year.

Satsuma: Recently discovered; now it's a new favorite ~ Amazing citrus scent that I use year round. The smell lasts at least for hours, and the butter is super creamy. Love to apply this at bedtime, after a long, hot, bath.

Moringa: This was my favorite ~ Bumped by Satsuma ~ Smells like fresh, tropical flowers. By far the best moisturizer of all of the scents I have tried, and it's my winter favorite.

Wild Cherry: Discontinued, but I stockpiled this scent. It's light and fruity cherry scent, and it's my summertime favorite~ I wish it was still available, I ran out of soap.

Aloe: My DH's favorite moisturizer. No scent, so it's the perfect body butter for a man.

Mango: Way too sweet for my taste ~ One of the very few TBS scents that I do not like.

Coconut: Weakest scent of them all ~ I am not a fan of coconut, and I find myself never using this, and I don't miss it.

Raspberry: Offered infrequently. I haven't seen it on the website since Dec'10. Nice, light fruity scent ~ best for summer due to the light consistency ~ very similar to Wild Cherry.

Almond: Nutty, and luxurious, but it's not a scent that I will repurchase~

I stock up twice a year. The end of the year sale is the best. They offer discounts galore, a wide selection and I always order enough product to to hold me over until next fall. If I run out mid year, there is always a great sale in Jul/Aug. One final wish is for TBS to offer a melon scent ~ this is definitely a missed opportunity.