Filtered by skin tone : Medium Brown

Price: $

on 3/8/2013 2:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure

**UPDATE May 1st 2013
upped my zinc intake to 100-150mg (temporarily) and skin improved DRAMATICALLY. it has been 8 weeks since i've taken zinc and skin has improved immensely. just hyperpigmentation marks that will eventually fade but no crazy breakouts or cystic pimples. tone and texture of skin also looking good (i think, also thanks to the peter thomas roth gentle complexion corrector pads). i highly recommend zinc to everyone-be patient and your patience will pay off.

----------------------

I got off birth control recently (Yasmin.. horrible stuff) and it screwed me up hormonally, leaving me with horrible acne breakouts. I never had any problems with acne, not even in high school (in fact my skin was perfect prior to this) so this is new to me. at first i tried benzac10, finacea, toner for acne prone skin, everything but nothing worked. instead it seemed to get worse, resulting in skin pigmentation. and this all happened within the course of 3 weeks!!!

i researched online and found that i might have acne due to hormonal imbalances and that some people found evening primrose to be helpful. So, last week on friday, i asked my naturopath who worked at the same chemist as i do about evening primrose. She actually recommended me to take a zinc test - if you live in Australia, Ethical Nutrients do a good zinc test - to see if my hormones are the cause of my sudden acne and not something else (she didn't believe evening primrose to do the trick). lo and behold, i had hormone imbalance as the zinc test showed. she got me on a daily dose of zinc, a vitamin B5 B6 (a naturopath/practitioner only range called Metagenics) and told me to test it again in about a month. She also said the vitamin B will work with the zinc to accelerate healing.

it's already been one week since i started taking and i noticed my acne, instead of going cystic and ugly, are quite calm. i stopped breaking out daily (so far i only had 3 new pimples since started taking zinc, but nothing cystic) and my other acne seems to be healing relatively well compared to the previous weeks.

The general tone and texture of my skin seems better too. i also tested my zinc levels today (it's my seventh day on zinc) and according to the chart i am improving slightly. i will test again in about 3 weeks since it takes a while for this supplement to kick in. apparently zinc is also good to heal skin pigmentation.

it's still too early to say, but so far i am quite happy with zinc as far as regulating my hormones. i dont feel that depressed as when i was on the birth control. i feel optimistic that zinc will help my skin in the long run.

please note that i also changed my diet - eating cleaner, salmon 3 times a week, fruit and my doctor prescribed me with docycycline (antibiotics for acne) 2 days after starting on zinc so perhaps that also helped.BUT from my research, i found more positive reviews for zinc that i have for docycyline. After trial and error, i found natural and complementary therapy is heaps better than prescribed medicine as it heals your body naturally with little to no side effects (when monitored by a professional).

so everybody with hormonal acne - i urge you to give zinc a try. but it's not a miracle worker so you have to be patient. and use a zinc test you can buy easily from a pharmacy as that may help u regulate your zinc (too much of it can be toxic). i also bought a copper supplement in case i overdose on zinc. once my hormones regulate i will change my zinc dosage to maintainance level.

What I take now, once a day for my skin:
Ethical Nutrients zinc Fix with 61 mg zinc (22.5mg) elemental zinc, raspberry flavour
Bioceuticals Zinc drops 7.5mg as a 'hit' 1-3 times a day
Vitamin B5B6 from Metagenics
Vitamin D
Evening primrose
Going to start on a copper supplement

Diet:
Salmon at least 3 times a week
cut down on sugar

Skin cleansing routine:
stripped everything down to just Cetaphil wash, Cetaphil moisturizer during the day (toner was drying up my already sensitive skin from the topical creams and gels) and rosehip oil at night

on 11/8/2012 2:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

My skin has never looked better. Honestly, my pores have shrunken greatly, no other product has been able to achieve this. I've been taking Zinc for about 3 weeks, I got quite discouraged in the beginning but I realized that the other products I was using also contributed to the worsening of my acne. So far, Zinc has given me a really nice glow, more even toned skin, my pimples and bumps are reduced and is slowly fading away dark patches. I plan to stop at 4 weeks due to the fact that excessive Zinc may be detrimental. However, I will probably just take it once a week, or twice a week, depending on how much more improvement my acne needs. So glad its apart of my skin regimen now :)

Popular Other Products