Filtered by eye Color : Black

4.7

on 3/9/2018 6:33:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Update:- (1 month later)

I still got 2-3 cystic pimples after my last review so in terms of prevention I guess this amount of zinc couldn't do much. That being said, 2-3 is still bearable compared to the crazy flare up i had, and the cysts went down faster on zinc.

On zinc alone, my closed comedone clusters are taking more time to go away though, but they're a lot calmer than the initial flare up. I must mention that these clusters on my jawline came about due to irritation and dryness from prolonged use of spot treatment gel with 3% salicylic acid on that area :/. So my experience is that zinc works better on cystic type/hormonal acne rather than acne caused by skin irritation. I am using aloe Vera gel (from the plant) for those areas to help speed up the healing.

On a side note I noticed my fingernails were much shinier and healthier looking!

___________________________

I've been taking zinc (15mg) for nearly 2 weeks now and it has made such an improvement on my skin. At the time that I started, I had 3 huge cysts on my chin that hurt even when I washed my face, and they have all reduced considerably in size within a week, compared to the 3-4 weeks that cystic acne usually last on my chin. Clusters of closed comedones along my jawline are also improving a lot,and I have not had any new pimples so far. This is great from someone who has suffered breakouts since I was a teenager!

While desperately researching for acne remedies recently I read about the connection between zinc deficiency and hormonal acne ,which is apparently common in vegetarians and vegans. Since I was a kid I hardly ate meat, and put two and two together and decided to give it a try. I wish I found this out sooner, it could have saved me 6 months being on doxycycline in my teens and then suffering the vengeance of angrier cysts much later when I went off them. Also could have saved me from all the redness and irritation from constant application of harsh topical ointments that weren't as effective as they claimed to be!

I took the zinc after dinner so thankfully did not experience nausea or stomach upset, but it did make me super hungry the day after. Hopefully my skin will continue to improve and I'll probably take vitamin e to help with the pigmentation and scarring. Worth a try!

on 5/20/2014 10:45:00 AM

It's actually disgusting that none of the dermatologists I've ever had in my life ever recommended me zinc. I've tried basically everything there is to try for my hormonal acne (big inflamed cysts around the mouth and jawline, tiny whiteheads all over my forehead and hairline, that get dramatically worse when I'm PMSing and on my period). You name it, I've gone through a month-long stint of it--Proactiv, Clean & Clear, Neutrogena Acne Stress Control, LaRoche Posay, Murad, on to prescription topicals like Tretinoin, Clindamycin, and, most recently, Differin gel.

Some specific background: My hormonal acne wasn't even that bad (maybe just mild, one or two smallish pimples a week) until I fucked up and had to take Plan B for the first time in my life. A few days later my acne EXPLODED across my entire face, deep cysts that refused to budge, every day more pimples that I could tell were in the process of becoming cysts, purple scarring, just horrible. I've always had horrendous PMS and really heavy periods with really bad cramps, but this time around, when my period came (which, sidenote: thank god) it was so heavy I bled through a pad an hour and my cramps were so bad no amount of painkillers could help me. I knew that the Plan B had done something terrible to my whole body--not just my face, and did some research.

I came to the conclusion that I've most likely always had an estrogen dominance, that was just reaaaaally amped up when I took the Plan B. And you guys, you really need to look into this if you think your acne is hormonal. If your acne usually erupts like a bunch of volcanoes on your period, if you have really bad PMS symptoms (extreme mood swings, bloating, insomnia, excessive hunger, painfully sore boobs), or if your periods are really heavy with tons of cramping, it's HIGHLY possible that your acne is caused by an estrogen dominance. Look it up if you don't believe me, there are tons of studies on this.

And, basically, if I condense all the stuff I read in the studies--estrogen dominance results from deficiencies in certain types of vitamins and minerals, and (obviously) too much estrogen, especially if you're taking any sort of contraceptive pill. One of the main things you can do to fix this is to take zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B supplements--three of the major minerals in your body that work to inhibit estrogen.

Anyway! My (really shitty, I now realize) dermatologist wasn't even listening to me when I told her my acne was DEFINITELY caused by the Plan B and was therefore hormonal--and just prescribed me Differin, saying, "all acne is essentially the same." NOPE. That was the last straw. Differin only irritated my skin, made it redder, flakier, and increased breakouts from the irritation, all while my hormonal breakouts continued to erupt across my face.

So, I did the research I told you about, and ordered zinc and vitamin B supplements online. Within TWO HOURS of taking these two supplements, the inflammation of my acne was greatly reduced, my cysts were smaller and softer, and a lot of my tiny white bumps seem to have magically disappeared. A bonus is that my skin has also gotten considerably less oily. It was SO OILY it was practically dripping by noon, but now it's almost at a normal-person level. I've been using these in conjunction with magnesium (which apparently goes well with the other two) for the past week, and I've already seen a dramatic clearing of my volcanic Plan B acne. I also am generally less irritable, sleep better, and, even though it's a week before my period, haven't experienced ANY PMS symptoms, which is a miracle. I'm excited for when my period comes, because I'm anticipating it'll be lighter, and my cramps will be manageable.

Really people, do your own research (of course!) but please try this if you fit the characteristics I described above. I heard this is also a good treatment for people who have just come off of birth control. Topicals and retinoids, I think, can do wonders for acne caused by bacteria, but it does nothing for hormonal acne--I wish my dermatologist had listened to me when I asked about that. I never really believed in holistic treatments before this, but wow, do I believe in them now. I thought Plan B had ruined my face forever, and am so glad I found this information online.

Hope this helps someone!

on 3/8/2013 2:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure

**UPDATE May 1st 2013
upped my zinc intake to 100-150mg (temporarily) and skin improved DRAMATICALLY. it has been 8 weeks since i've taken zinc and skin has improved immensely. just hyperpigmentation marks that will eventually fade but no crazy breakouts or cystic pimples. tone and texture of skin also looking good (i think, also thanks to the peter thomas roth gentle complexion corrector pads). i highly recommend zinc to everyone-be patient and your patience will pay off.

----------------------

I got off birth control recently (Yasmin.. horrible stuff) and it screwed me up hormonally, leaving me with horrible acne breakouts. I never had any problems with acne, not even in high school (in fact my skin was perfect prior to this) so this is new to me. at first i tried benzac10, finacea, toner for acne prone skin, everything but nothing worked. instead it seemed to get worse, resulting in skin pigmentation. and this all happened within the course of 3 weeks!!!

i researched online and found that i might have acne due to hormonal imbalances and that some people found evening primrose to be helpful. So, last week on friday, i asked my naturopath who worked at the same chemist as i do about evening primrose. She actually recommended me to take a zinc test - if you live in Australia, Ethical Nutrients do a good zinc test - to see if my hormones are the cause of my sudden acne and not something else (she didn't believe evening primrose to do the trick). lo and behold, i had hormone imbalance as the zinc test showed. she got me on a daily dose of zinc, a vitamin B5 B6 (a naturopath/practitioner only range called Metagenics) and told me to test it again in about a month. She also said the vitamin B will work with the zinc to accelerate healing.

it's already been one week since i started taking and i noticed my acne, instead of going cystic and ugly, are quite calm. i stopped breaking out daily (so far i only had 3 new pimples since started taking zinc, but nothing cystic) and my other acne seems to be healing relatively well compared to the previous weeks.

The general tone and texture of my skin seems better too. i also tested my zinc levels today (it's my seventh day on zinc) and according to the chart i am improving slightly. i will test again in about 3 weeks since it takes a while for this supplement to kick in. apparently zinc is also good to heal skin pigmentation.

it's still too early to say, but so far i am quite happy with zinc as far as regulating my hormones. i dont feel that depressed as when i was on the birth control. i feel optimistic that zinc will help my skin in the long run.

please note that i also changed my diet - eating cleaner, salmon 3 times a week, fruit and my doctor prescribed me with docycycline (antibiotics for acne) 2 days after starting on zinc so perhaps that also helped.BUT from my research, i found more positive reviews for zinc that i have for docycyline. After trial and error, i found natural and complementary therapy is heaps better than prescribed medicine as it heals your body naturally with little to no side effects (when monitored by a professional).

so everybody with hormonal acne - i urge you to give zinc a try. but it's not a miracle worker so you have to be patient. and use a zinc test you can buy easily from a pharmacy as that may help u regulate your zinc (too much of it can be toxic). i also bought a copper supplement in case i overdose on zinc. once my hormones regulate i will change my zinc dosage to maintainance level.

What I take now, once a day for my skin:
Ethical Nutrients zinc Fix with 61 mg zinc (22.5mg) elemental zinc, raspberry flavour
Bioceuticals Zinc drops 7.5mg as a 'hit' 1-3 times a day
Vitamin B5B6 from Metagenics
Vitamin D
Evening primrose
Going to start on a copper supplement

Diet:
Salmon at least 3 times a week
cut down on sugar

Skin cleansing routine:
stripped everything down to just Cetaphil wash, Cetaphil moisturizer during the day (toner was drying up my already sensitive skin from the topical creams and gels) and rosehip oil at night

Popular Other Products