Filtered by eye Color : Blue

4.6

on 12/24/2016 9:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

So Iike many other people on this forum, I've had an interesting (read: frustrating) skin experience. I had mild acne when I was around 13, so I started Proactiv and I swear to god my life was like one of their damn commercials. My skin was gorgeous, luminous, and totally problem-free - even if I occasionally slept in my makeup. I didn't worry about my diet or irritation from makeup, and people would regularly compliment my complexion.

Enter my 18th birthday and my Freshman year of college....almost overnight my face erupted with widespread, painful cystic acne that would NOT go away. At first I assumed it was some sort of weird, delayed hormonal reaction so I decided to wait it out. After a couple of months, I began trying new skin products, including prescription-grade topical medication like Retin-A, Differin, etc. These only dried out my skin, and my breakouts (I feel like a more dramatic word is necessary, though) proceeded to become worse. Finally, after about 6-7 months my doctor put me on birth control (Ortho Tri-Cyclin). Fast forward another 9 months of trying different brands and my skin was notably improved, but not perfect. That was fine with me.

For about 5 years, I was on birth control and I continued to have hormonal breakouts around my period, but things were much more under control. Then, I moved overseas and my birth control was not available so I decided to hedge my bets and try going off it. And it worked! For about two months, my skin actually improved! I also found, just as an aside, that I lost about 12lbs, my mood was much better and my period had returned fairly quickly. Woo hoo!

But 3 months after I went off it I needed to take Plan B, which was a DISASTER for my skin. about 3 days after I took it, I once again erupted in hormonal, inflamed cystic acne. I waited to see if it would clear up on its own after my body processed that huge surge of hormones, but things were not improving. The only thing that seemed to be helping at all with the pain and inflammation was Ibuprofen, but we definitely should not be taking NSAIDs long-term, amirite? My doctor wanted me to go back on birth control, but I had really had enough at this point of hormone treatment. I did some research online and decided to try 50mg of zinc supplements (did you know that most people with acne are zinc deficient?), along with cod liver oil capsules (the recommended daily dose on the bottle).

HOLY CRAP THIS STUFF IS AMAZING. Within 36hours of taking the zinc and cod liver oil, the cysts were noticeably less inflamed and I had developed no new ones. It has now been about 5 days since I began the supplements and my acne is almost gone, my skin is well-hydrated, and I have experienced no side effects. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it's been less than a week, and I want to make sure that no side effects pop up. Seriously though, I would highly recommend it for anyone feeling hopeless about their skin and fed up with hormonal and topical treatments. If you want to confirm that you're Zinc deficient (which might be a good idea, considering that it can build up in your body and become toxic), you can ask your doctor to run a blood test. You can also get zinc from foods and I would obviously advocate for a healthy diet, but supplements might be a good option for people who need an extra boost during breakouts. Good luck, everyone!

Zinc is an important mineral and I take 15 mg a day, which is the recommended daily allowance for adult females.

I am concerned to see people here (who are not medical professionals) advocating taking 100 mg, or even 150 mg!, per day --- the United States government's daily maximum "upper intake level" for zinc is 40 mg, and the United Kingdom government's "safe upper level" is 25 mg.

Although vitamins, minerals, herbs, and some hormones (such as melatonin) are available in the US over-the-counter without a prescription, that does not mean that they are safe taken in any amount whatsoever.

Many of these substances can have serious health consequences, either when the person has a deficiency (not enough) or a surplus (too much) of them.

It may be hard to identify when a substance is building up to toxic levels in your body, because the side effects may not be what you expect, or they may be doing damage on the inside that isn't immediately clear to you.

Also, many vitamins and minerals need to be taken in a balance with each other -- taking too much of one while not taking any of another, or taking 50 times the recommended daily intake of one while only taking 2 times the recommended daily intake of another CAN be really detrimental to your health, over time.

In the example of zinc, it should be taken along with copper. That doesn't mean that if you take a low-dose multi-vitamin that has a small amount of copper in it (usually they will have 1 mg of copper), that you can then go and take 150 mg of zinc in a standalone supplement and be okay for the copper:zinc ratio! The daily one-a-day multi-vitamin will already have the correct zinc and copper ratio in it, so you can't add 10 times the zinc to your daily intake by popping extra zinc pills and rely on the little 1 mg of copper in the one-a-day to balance that amount of zinc out.

The ratio of zinc to copper should be anywhere from 8:1 to 15:1. That means, from 8 mg of zinc to 1 mg of copper, to 15 mg of zinc to 1 mg of copper - somewhere in those boundaries. Therefore, if you take 30 mg of zinc, take at least 2 mg of copper.

If you take a daily one-a-day multi-vitamin/mineral which probably already has 15 mg of zinc in it and 1 mg of copper, then you also take a standalone zinc supplement of another 15 mg - or even of 30 mg or 50 mg or whatever - then you will need to take a standalone copper supplement that will bring the total zinc:copper ratio into balance again.

And recall that the US recommended *maximum* daily level of zinc is 40 mg, and the UK's is 25 mg. The health department scientists of the national governments do not publish their recommended upper intake maximum levels without doing research and taking many factors into consideration. Yes, sometimes their ideas are pretty conservative, and sometimes there are good medical reasons to go above the recommended upper intake levels, especially of course when one is being treated by a medical professional who knows what she/he is doing, but if you haven't researched the area yourself and know the potential pros and cons, it is folly to dose yourself with a *huge* amount of anything, just because you can buy it on a store shelf without anyone stopping you, because it seems to be harmless in small amounts, and because some of the side effects of taking a toxic amount of it might be what you are looking for (like less skin oil, less acne) -- while some of the detrimental side effects may be doing untold damage to other parts of your body, and you may not even know it.

A few years ago I saw one resource on the internet that said that taking 50 mg of zinc would help painful menstrual cycles, but I checked around and found that there wasn't anything else to back that up. Just as one example, Dr. Ray Sahelian, a proponent of supplements (far more than most American mainstream M.D. doctors are) says on his site that he doesn't know of any research supporting that claim about zinc helping difficult menstrual periods, and he does not recommend a high dose of zinc (not over the RDA of 15 mg a day).

Supplements can have really strong, wonderful effects on the health, and many that I've researched on my own and bought over-the-counter have improved my health (including herbs and hormones). They can also throw you for a big loop, and cause all kinds of unwanted side effects, deficiencies, etc. These things can really be as powerful as prescription drugs, especially in high doses.

If you want to research vitamins and minerals and find the latest evidence, by all means, please look them up widely on the internet, making sure that the sources that you consult are legitimate and relatively trustworthy, and you might try the US government's pubmed.com website which lists research articles and studies from around the world.

on 2/11/2013 3:38:00 AM

I wanted to give this a try after my last break-out. First off, my skin has been less oily. Which is a big positive. I haven't had any break-outs since my last one (I tend to suffer from cystic acne every few months) and this helped heal those two spots. I truly believe this can work and does work, because my skin has been better since I started taking this.

The only downside is I do get nauseous if I don't eat after or before. I take one 50mg a day. I find the pill hard to swallow too, because they desolve super easily. But all in all, it's worth it.

Awesome. I originally tried taking zinc naturally by eating loads of pumpkin seeds. Worked quite well but I couldn't eat enough regularly and got sick of them. I don't like seafood or other zinc rich foods.

My skin has got loads better, only once spot since taking it and this wasn't as bad. Eat with food and its fine. I saw results almost instantly. Even pores on nose are smaller. Yay. I bought two lots of pills. They both say they're 15mg, they're from Sainsbury's and Asda's.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I have been taking 50mg of chelated zinc for nearly a month now and I am honestly shocked at the difference this has made in my skin. I have (sorry - I should say HAD) the most stubborn acne ever. I've been suffering from acne since my late teens and I am now 35. My acne is cystic and appears in my chin and upper lip area with frustrating regularity - it was not uncommon for me to break out weekly. I have tried lots of things for my acne over the years but recently I have been more interested in natural therapies. I've tried several supplements including Vitex and Saw Palmetto and whilst some have had excellent health benefits, they have not cleared my acne. I am not sure why it has taken me so long to try zinc. I think I must have tried it once as part of a multi-vitamin and not seen results... I now realise the dose would have been too low in a multi.

I am taking Blackmores Bio Zinc which is a premium Australian vitamin brand. I am taking 2 tablets per day to get 50mg of zinc. It is important to take your zinc with a meal (preferably your largest meal of the day) and choose chelated zinc - these strategies should hopefully avoid any stomach ache which is a common side effect. I consider myself to have a delicate stomach and as long as I take my zinc after dinner, I have no problems at all. I saw results with my acne within 2 weeks and have also noticed a slight decrease in sebum production. I am thrilled!

There is concern over copper deficiency when taking extra zinc. This is because zinc interferes with copper absorption. I asked a naturopath at Blackmores' website about this issue and she advised me that people should take an additional copper supplement when exceeding more than 50mg of zinc per day. Alternatively, natural sources of copper include shell fish, liver and kidneys, whole grains and, reportedly dark chocolate (yay!). (See: http://www.abc.net.au/health/minutes/stories/2007/06/20/1955070.htm )

For reference, here are the active ingredients per tablet in Blackmores Bio Zinc:
Zinc amino acid chelate (equiv. to Zinc 25 mg)-----------------125 mg