Filtered by hair type : Wavy

4.9

on 5/25/2015 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have successfully used Zinc to treat a couple of different skin issues. I have also noticed an interesting side effect, my skin has actually improved greatly since I started this supplement. Which was to combat PD.
I take 25 MG of Zinc every day that I got at Walmart. I also topically would apply a highly concentrated cream that has 40% Zinc Oxide. It's actually butt cream for babies, but it does have a higher concentration and I can find it easily.
Periorificial Dermatitis, for those who know what this is, I'm sorry, and for those of you who don't know - consider yourself lucky. I actually was only recently officially diagnosed after years of wondering. There would sometimes be years between flareups of this condition, and I attributed it to sensitive skin.
Anyhow back to the Zinc. I used only two main things to clear up a particularly nasty recent flareup, Zinc supplement/cream and probiotics called Acidophilus Lactobacillus. It'd been years since my last saga with this, I had forgotten how bad it was.
The flareup is gone, I still take zinc every day because of the obvious skin benefits and occasionally I will use the cream on any type of bump on my face. My skin is clear, color is good and my overall complexion just looks much healthier than before I began. I also I'm using an organic sunscreen with Zinc 10% in it as well and it's just wonderful.

* I should mention that I wash using the OCM, and tried violet extract. I don't think the e tract did anything. < with regard to the PD.

on 11/19/2012 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Honestly, who knew?

I went off birth control in January of this year, things were fine until two months later when my jawline began breaking out in horrible acne and I began to get tiny bumps all over my forehead. Now I've never had perfect skin (this is partly my skin-picking fault) but this was something I've NEVER had before in my life. I'm 23, never suffered from jawline acne (those horrible kind under the skin). So after my confidence kept taking huge hits and my period refused to regulate (this is how I knew my acne was HORMONAL) I decided to give zinc a try... that brings me to my question

Who knew this stuff was so amazing!?!?!

I have been taking OptiZinc brand (purchased from Amazon) for over 2 months now and my jawline hormonal acne has completely gone away (or like 95%). I just take one a day. Its actually eradicated my acid reflux I experience after having an alcoholic beverage too. Bonus!!

I can't recommend this stuff enough to women who think their acne is caused by hormonal imbalances. Give it at least one month, okay? I noticed dramatic results within 2 weeks.

Again, I use the OptiZinc brand because it contains copper, which taking zinc will deplete. I only take one pill a day @ 30mgs of zinc monomethionine and 300mg of copper sebacate.

Good luck everyone!

on 10/13/2010 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Without a doubt, this works. I did some research prior to buying a zinc supplement and read that it's important for wound healing and immune system maintenance. I can see an enormous difference in the clarity and tone of my skin since I started taking this. I started out taking this every day for 2 weeks (50mg - chelated zinc), but have now cut back, and take it every 4 days, or whenever I remember. I won't say that my skin is perfect, and I also don't want to overdose on this, so I am a bit careful with taking supplements.

Either way, it's something to try that works!

on 3/25/2010 5:08:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

THis review is for using zinc topically, ie zinc oxide on acne and other skin issues. This works great on both oily and dry spots. It evens evens out everything, making areas less oily or less dry. It also take the red out of pimples and makes them a lot less angry. I use zinc in a lot of soothing diaper cremes on my face. I love badger diaper cream, it also contains camomile. Very soothing and smells really pretty. Love it. I use it mainly for dry areas and acne. If oily skin, it may not work as well as other zinc products, I don't know.

on 3/4/2010 8:17:00 PM

WOW, everyone needs to know about Zinc's effect on acne... it WILL clear your skin! I started taking 50mg of generic (CVS brand or whatever) Zinc about a month ago. The first week, my forehead broke out in a disgusting way. At the same time I started drinking much more water again in attempts of beautiful skin, so I believe my skin was having a "purge". I almost stopped taking the zinc because I thought I might be having an unfortunate reaction to it. But I stuck with it, and I'm very happy. My skin has improved tone and texture and a much improved case of the oilies. I take 50mg once a day, every day. Take with food or it will make you slightly nauseous. My skin is continuing to improve every week. I will never stop taking zinc as long as it has this AMAZING effect on my skin... and for so cheap!! Ah, love it :-) And it's good for your immunne system people.

This has been a godsend for me. I've always had troubling cystic acne on my chin. I've never been too keen on taking BCP because of side effects and whatnot. So, I just decided to deal with my hormonal chin acne. But it was more than just a breakout around my time of the month. It was all the time! When one cystic-huge-mother would go away, another would come up. They were all on my chin and lower cheek/jawline. I tried changing my diet, since cystic acne is usually an internal problem, but that didn't work either.

Then one day on the skin care board, I saw someone mention zinc for chin acne. I did a lot of research on other boards and acne.org reviews on zinc, and it seemed to work for most people. I thought hey, why not? I swiped up a bottle of Zinc Gluconate 50mg for under $5, and started taking one daily. I was worried about my multivitamin containing 15mg of zinc as well, but when I run out of this bottle I'm going to go out and find a 30mg supplement so I don't have to worry about overdosing. My multi also has copper, which I think is sufficient enough for me to not have low levels. Definitely take your multi at a different time of day than the zinc. The copper and other minerals in it can compete for absorption. I've also *heard* that it's better to take the zinc an hour before you eat or 2 hours after (for better absorption as well). I try to take mine a few hours after dinner. It doesn't really bother my stomach...and I have a weak one. I remember once or twice I felt like I might puke but never did, and the feeling went away in less than 5 minutes.

I am NOT joking when I say I saw immediate results. I didn't get another cystic pimple after I started taking these for at least 3 weeks. This is huge for me, considering I usually would get 2-3 new cystics a week! Then my time of the month came, I had a small breakout (1 cystic), and then continued to look great after that. Any other small pimples I get (probably from products) heal very quickly. My skin also seems less oily. It's amazing.

I've been taking them now almost 3 months. I haven't gotten any new cystic pimples since the last one I mentioned (even during my cycle). I've also incorporated 4000IU of vitamin D3 per day for my acne as well. This has helped a lot, too. I highly recommend this (and D3) to anyone that suffers from the type of cystic chin/jawline acne that I used to have.

(update 2/3/13) I still take 30mg of zinc every single day. Please don't let people worry you into thinking you can easily get zinc poisoning. Just make sure you take a multivitamin containing copper too—at different parts of the day.

on 8/31/2009 8:52:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I did some research on Zinc as an acne treatment. I didn't believe that zinc would do anything for acne. I always thought that having to much zinc in your body will actually cause you to break out. Boy was I wrong! After doing adequate research, I came to realize that there were a lot of people taking zinc to help out with their acne. I bought a bottle of zinc (50 mg) and started taking it. I didn't really see results like right away. But it's been about a week now and my acne has DEFINATELY improved. My face is so clear and so radiant. I use this in conjunction with Neostrata glycolic products and it has done wonders for me. I will definately repurchase.

Popular Other Products