Filtered by hair type : Straight

4.1

on 5/22/2017 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Note: VERY IMPORTANT to take Zinc tablet on a full stomach, like a piece of bread or something substantial to avoid extreme nausea and barfing. NOT just liquid like tea or coffee. I learned this the hard way. Needless to say. I won't forget again.

-----

Two years ago my doctor recommended that I take B12 and D supplements. At the time, I was relatively clear skinned. I am NC 30-35 , Asian olive combination skin, now tending towards dry, with an oily T zone. (Years before, I had been on Retin A Micro (Avila/ tretinoin), differin/ aldapene and glycolics, then some ill advised dermatological laser which left me with dark spots). I am prone to recurrent milia (even after extraction) and hives.

After Taking B12, I've had some persistent outbreaks, nothing major, but agggravating since I spend a lot of effort on my skin. Read that B12 may contribute to outbreaks, and that zinc, taken orally (best bioavailabilty being picolinate or chelated) could help. Since 15mg is the recommended daily allowance, I decided to take solgar zinc picolinate 22 mg and omit the B12. My skin has improved. I really wish I had read about this sooner! Note: the review of MsVengeance below was helpful Re B6 also causing some skin issues for her. Reviewer Koalion takes zinc plus B supplements to good effect, so YMMV as to the B.

I do use a niacinamide serum (which is B3) and alternate between a regimen of OTC retinol plus hydroqunone or OTC AHA/BHA a few nights weekly. Am pretty sure that it is not only stopping the B12 that has gotten my skin back, since it's better than before. Only other recent change (in the past few weeks) is the Zinc. No purging or other issues, but I don't purge much even with retinol.

Note: I did read that next to zinc, selenium is supposed to be great for skin, but I'm going to wait a while before adding something else.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I was going through some old stuff this morning and throwing out all these old supplements (apparently, over the years I have collected TONS) and came across a couple old bottles of Zinc and Optizinc. I used to suffer from chronic cystic/nodular acne. Anyone whose ever suffered chronically from this kind of acne will inevitably go on the internet in search of help and eventually, they will discover that zinc is like, THE supplement to take.

Unfortunately, zinc would always work for the first few days I took it and then BAM, it always seemed as if it slowly worsened my acne! But what the hell?! It seemed to me that everybody in internetland was always raving about how great zinc was as a "cure" for acne--there are even scientific studies to back it up, right? Surely it was just in my head that it was making my acne worse...but I tried to take zinc several times over the years with the same horrible results every time.

I have since learned that THE PROBLEM WITH TAKING SOME ZINC SUPPLEMENTS can be that a lot of zinc supplements come with a mega dose of B vitamins (B6) and no joke, taking too much B vitamins CAN GIVE YOU ACNE. If you're gonna take one, just make sure you get your zinc supplement without all that evil b vitamin (also FYI don't take a zinc supplement if you're on antibiotics bc it can interfere with absorption!). While you're at it, check your daily multivitamin to see if it has mega doses of B vitamins....i used to take a daily vitamin that had like 500-1000% of various b vitamins and within DAYS of when I finally stopped taking it my skin got considerably better.

Anyways, I'm not sure if b-vitamins have this effect on everyone but they sure as hell do on me and i only wrote this review cause I really wish someone had told me! I do know that UCLA did a recent study that confirmed it with B12, at least, but I know from experience that B6 does it to me too.

on 4/3/2014 9:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I've been taking zinc off and on for over eleven years and it's one of the most effective things I've found for fighting acne. It doesn't completely stop some of my hormonal acne but it does work for the rest. One warning about zinc is that taking too much of it can cause an imbalance of vitamins and minerals in the body, one of them being copper levels. Two months on and a month off is best.

Zinc is an important mineral and I take 15 mg a day, which is the recommended daily allowance for adult females.

I am concerned to see people here (who are not medical professionals) advocating taking 100 mg, or even 150 mg!, per day --- the United States government's daily maximum "upper intake level" for zinc is 40 mg, and the United Kingdom government's "safe upper level" is 25 mg.

Although vitamins, minerals, herbs, and some hormones (such as melatonin) are available in the US over-the-counter without a prescription, that does not mean that they are safe taken in any amount whatsoever.

Many of these substances can have serious health consequences, either when the person has a deficiency (not enough) or a surplus (too much) of them.

It may be hard to identify when a substance is building up to toxic levels in your body, because the side effects may not be what you expect, or they may be doing damage on the inside that isn't immediately clear to you.

Also, many vitamins and minerals need to be taken in a balance with each other -- taking too much of one while not taking any of another, or taking 50 times the recommended daily intake of one while only taking 2 times the recommended daily intake of another CAN be really detrimental to your health, over time.

In the example of zinc, it should be taken along with copper. That doesn't mean that if you take a low-dose multi-vitamin that has a small amount of copper in it (usually they will have 1 mg of copper), that you can then go and take 150 mg of zinc in a standalone supplement and be okay for the copper:zinc ratio! The daily one-a-day multi-vitamin will already have the correct zinc and copper ratio in it, so you can't add 10 times the zinc to your daily intake by popping extra zinc pills and rely on the little 1 mg of copper in the one-a-day to balance that amount of zinc out.

The ratio of zinc to copper should be anywhere from 8:1 to 15:1. That means, from 8 mg of zinc to 1 mg of copper, to 15 mg of zinc to 1 mg of copper - somewhere in those boundaries. Therefore, if you take 30 mg of zinc, take at least 2 mg of copper.

If you take a daily one-a-day multi-vitamin/mineral which probably already has 15 mg of zinc in it and 1 mg of copper, then you also take a standalone zinc supplement of another 15 mg - or even of 30 mg or 50 mg or whatever - then you will need to take a standalone copper supplement that will bring the total zinc:copper ratio into balance again.

And recall that the US recommended *maximum* daily level of zinc is 40 mg, and the UK's is 25 mg. The health department scientists of the national governments do not publish their recommended upper intake maximum levels without doing research and taking many factors into consideration. Yes, sometimes their ideas are pretty conservative, and sometimes there are good medical reasons to go above the recommended upper intake levels, especially of course when one is being treated by a medical professional who knows what she/he is doing, but if you haven't researched the area yourself and know the potential pros and cons, it is folly to dose yourself with a *huge* amount of anything, just because you can buy it on a store shelf without anyone stopping you, because it seems to be harmless in small amounts, and because some of the side effects of taking a toxic amount of it might be what you are looking for (like less skin oil, less acne) -- while some of the detrimental side effects may be doing untold damage to other parts of your body, and you may not even know it.

A few years ago I saw one resource on the internet that said that taking 50 mg of zinc would help painful menstrual cycles, but I checked around and found that there wasn't anything else to back that up. Just as one example, Dr. Ray Sahelian, a proponent of supplements (far more than most American mainstream M.D. doctors are) says on his site that he doesn't know of any research supporting that claim about zinc helping difficult menstrual periods, and he does not recommend a high dose of zinc (not over the RDA of 15 mg a day).

Supplements can have really strong, wonderful effects on the health, and many that I've researched on my own and bought over-the-counter have improved my health (including herbs and hormones). They can also throw you for a big loop, and cause all kinds of unwanted side effects, deficiencies, etc. These things can really be as powerful as prescription drugs, especially in high doses.

If you want to research vitamins and minerals and find the latest evidence, by all means, please look them up widely on the internet, making sure that the sources that you consult are legitimate and relatively trustworthy, and you might try the US government's pubmed.com website which lists research articles and studies from around the world.

on 10/31/2013 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I thought this could be it when I read all the glowing reviews on here to fix acne. I've been off bc for almost a year now and I feel like a teenager again. It's depressing, and I didn't go on bc for my skin, but it did make it better. I've been taking zinc for 3 months now and my acne went down maybe 20%. It's better than nothing, but it's not my cure. I started off using the food-based New Chapter 15mg - which didn't do anything - then switched to food-based Garden of LIfe 30mg a day. That's when I noticed a slight change. I haven't tried synthetic versions and I don't plan to, since the reason I went off bc was to have a clean lifestyle. I could up my intake of zinc, but the recommended daily value is 15mg (according to The Immune System Cure) so I won't.

on 9/10/2013 6:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought zinc from the brand Now Foods (Optizinc - 30mg), which also have copper in it. I take the birth control pill for birth control purposes (obviously) but it never did anything for my acne. I have whiteheads and sometimes inflamed pimples around my jawline, and blackheads in my nose and cheeks. I have also oily skin...

Zinc seemed ok to take, and many people said it helped a lot with their acne and oily skin. I only took it for 2 weeks, because after that i had to take antibiotics, and i was afraid that zinc would affect it's absorption. After one week i had to take it only 2 to 3 times a week, because i was experience a lot of tiredness and a little of nose bleeding... But i notice a difference on my skin. It was looking healthier, less oily and inflamed spots were gone.

I stopped taken it, but i also noticed a difference on my period which came a couple of days after i stopped zinc. The bleeding was really minimal and different from my usual periods, which i clearly attribute to the taking of zinc. Zinc levels play an important role on menstrual cycle, by regulating the hormones. Its proven to make menstrual cramps better, but it also reduces bleeding. (i had no premenstrual pain, which i usually do) I'm now very skeptical about taking it again... if it can do this with my menstrual cycling, it's because is messing with it in certain way, and i'm not really comfortable with that... It's a shame...but i really don't want to mess with my internal system, i can make it worse by not knowing exactly what kind of imbalance i have.

on 7/19/2013 10:13:00 AM

I went through high school without so much as a single blemish and always had porcelain baby skin. After discontinuing birth control, my skin was never the same and I was always getting big, nasty, cystic zits. I started taking zinc and adopted other skincare changes and after about a month, my skin had improved a lot! I stopped getting the cysts, had fewer clogged pores, and even felt less oily. *BUT* as others have mentioned, zinc depletes copper- which I discovered after some research, is important to melanin production in hair. I started noticing not gray, but WHITE baby hairs and some roots growing from my head around my face. I'm only 20! I attribute this to taking too much zinc for a long period of time and not taking an additional copper supplement. I stopped taking it completely, and after a while the skin problems came back, but the white hairs also stopped appearing. Now, I only take zinc 1-3 times a week which is enough to keep my skin clear, but not give me white hair at 20. It takes a while to start working, but it definitely does eventually. I also must agree that taking this on even a semi-empty stomach will make you nauseous for hours.

on 5/18/2013 3:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm one of those girls who have hormonal acne. I've tried hormonal (birth control) treatment for years and it used to work for me, but in the last year I coudn't stand the side effects of the pills, so I stopped. (I highly recommend all girls [and boys! and whatever] to read about all the trouble birth control pills can make in your life. Yes, I'm talking about trombosis and AVC risks. So, do researches and find out).
My dermatologist tried to make me like benzoyl peroxide. It's ok, but didn't help that much. Other acids didn't solve the problem too. In fact, I never believed that much in topical treatments. If the problem is hormonal, why make so much effort everyday using 897969 gels, creams and lotions? Please.

So I tried Zinc 30 mg. Thank you, internet. Zinc is great! I have 80% less breakouts than I used to have before. Much less cystic acne. My skin looks so better now.
The next step is clearing the dark spots. It's an external problem, so in this case I believe in topical treatment.

Of course I'm still using a good facial cleanser (La Roche Posay Effaclair) and some topical products, like benzoyl peroxide and nicotinamide. I'm drinking a lot of water, too. Drink water, people.

And don't forget: If you want to try Zinc, you must take Cooper too.

on 3/24/2013 1:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have finally cured myself of acne. I've had horrible acne since college, mostly due to hormone imbalance and stress. At first I tried all sorts of topical solutions and of course they didn't work. Then tried modifying my diet to include healthier choices, more water, green tea, less sugar, more raw foods etc -none of that worked. Birth control (Yasmin) was really the only thing that worked. But after seeing reports on how some girls died from taking Yasmin, I tried to make several attempts to stop taking Yasmin but always gave up and went crawling back for more Yasmin because my breakups would be worse than ever before.
Last month, I did extensive research on what acne-sufferers are deficient in, and put myself on a new, strict, daily regiment:
(1) 25mg elemental zinc (gluconate) ($5 for 3 months supply)
(2) 3 table spoons of Brewer's yeast (in warm water) ($14 for 1 month supply)
(3) 2 tablets of spirulina ($7 for 3 month supply)
(4) 1 multi-vitamin containing copper ($11 for 3 month supply)
I overlapped my last packet of Yasmin with the above. It's been 1 month since I've stopped taking Yasmin and 2 months of taking my new regiment (1 month of taking it without Yasmin) and Ive only had 3 pimples, and they were very small and lasted 2 days tops -definitely not the large, deep, scarring. cystic pimples that lasted 2 weeks like I usually got before.
Only problem with zinc is that, although the tablet is tasteless, somehow just putting it on my tongue makes me gag. Also must be taken with a meal or else it feels "heavy" in the stomach and kinda nauseous.
Finally, I really can't comment on how effective zinc is by itself, since I've only tried it in combination with Brewer's yeast, spirulina, and a daily multi-vitamin. Do a quick Google search on these ingredients and like me, you;ll find they have a lot of benefits to acne sufferers. Good luck.
[Update] I've been doing this for 3-4 months now and my skin is doing very well. I've noticed a few patches of dry skin which makes sense considering zinc is supposed to decrease oil production. Skin still breaks out with the occasional small pimple but they are manageable and I'm still very happy with my results/progress.
[Update 07-May-2013] People keep messaging me for an update so here's another. I'm starting to lose track of when I started my regiment -I think it's been 5 months now. Due to budget restraints, I've stopped taking the multi-vitamin and the spirulina. But I'm still taking the Brewer's yeast and zinc in same amounts. If my skin flares up, I'll bite the cost and buy more multi-vitamins and spirulina, but so far, I haven't seen any negative effect from this change. My skin is still pretty clear. I've had 1-2 small pimples the past month but they healed on their own within a few days and were small enough that just a little tinted moisterizer was enough to cover them up. Those pimples were on my chin which I know means its hormonal -and they occurred right before my period. BTW, I dont, nor have I recently ever, used any topical acne treatment. More updates later.
[Update 27-Feb-2014] I thought I'd give one last update. Almost one year of taking Brewer's yeast and zinc tablets and my skin is pretty clear. I have absolutely no acne whatsoever on my cheeks, forehead, and nose. I have some breakouts on my chin because I had a slip in my regiment (I moved to a new city and couldn't find a store that supplied Brewer's yeast -so I was without it for a couple weeks until my online shipment arrived) but I'm back on track and havent broken out since. I also brokeout when I traveled for a week on vacation and couldn't fit my giant tub of Brewer's yeast+zinc in my luggage. These slips in my Brewer's yeast+zinc regiment are my evidence that Brewers yeast+zinc are my cure for acne. I hope someone has the same luck with this that I did. Cheers.

on 2/12/2013 7:45:00 PM

I did a ton of research on zinc before I gave it a shot and I wish I took this path 2 years ago. I am currently taking 30mg of zinc because my body is so small and don't want to harm it. At the beginning I was disappointed, but stuck with it because of all the good reviews. I am grateful I stuck with the zinc. It may cause you to break out at first, but that shows it is doing it's job. Zinc helps with the immune system and gets rid of toxins in your body. The toxins come through your skin resulting in pimples. This breakout depends on how much zinc you are taking and how much toxins are in your body. This is why is important to eat healthy. Zinc also helps reduce the amount of oil your body produces. I definitely recommend this, but give it time(:

Popular Other Products