Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium

4.4

on 12/24/2016 9:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

So Iike many other people on this forum, I've had an interesting (read: frustrating) skin experience. I had mild acne when I was around 13, so I started Proactiv and I swear to god my life was like one of their damn commercials. My skin was gorgeous, luminous, and totally problem-free - even if I occasionally slept in my makeup. I didn't worry about my diet or irritation from makeup, and people would regularly compliment my complexion.

Enter my 18th birthday and my Freshman year of college....almost overnight my face erupted with widespread, painful cystic acne that would NOT go away. At first I assumed it was some sort of weird, delayed hormonal reaction so I decided to wait it out. After a couple of months, I began trying new skin products, including prescription-grade topical medication like Retin-A, Differin, etc. These only dried out my skin, and my breakouts (I feel like a more dramatic word is necessary, though) proceeded to become worse. Finally, after about 6-7 months my doctor put me on birth control (Ortho Tri-Cyclin). Fast forward another 9 months of trying different brands and my skin was notably improved, but not perfect. That was fine with me.

For about 5 years, I was on birth control and I continued to have hormonal breakouts around my period, but things were much more under control. Then, I moved overseas and my birth control was not available so I decided to hedge my bets and try going off it. And it worked! For about two months, my skin actually improved! I also found, just as an aside, that I lost about 12lbs, my mood was much better and my period had returned fairly quickly. Woo hoo!

But 3 months after I went off it I needed to take Plan B, which was a DISASTER for my skin. about 3 days after I took it, I once again erupted in hormonal, inflamed cystic acne. I waited to see if it would clear up on its own after my body processed that huge surge of hormones, but things were not improving. The only thing that seemed to be helping at all with the pain and inflammation was Ibuprofen, but we definitely should not be taking NSAIDs long-term, amirite? My doctor wanted me to go back on birth control, but I had really had enough at this point of hormone treatment. I did some research online and decided to try 50mg of zinc supplements (did you know that most people with acne are zinc deficient?), along with cod liver oil capsules (the recommended daily dose on the bottle).

HOLY CRAP THIS STUFF IS AMAZING. Within 36hours of taking the zinc and cod liver oil, the cysts were noticeably less inflamed and I had developed no new ones. It has now been about 5 days since I began the supplements and my acne is almost gone, my skin is well-hydrated, and I have experienced no side effects. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it's been less than a week, and I want to make sure that no side effects pop up. Seriously though, I would highly recommend it for anyone feeling hopeless about their skin and fed up with hormonal and topical treatments. If you want to confirm that you're Zinc deficient (which might be a good idea, considering that it can build up in your body and become toxic), you can ask your doctor to run a blood test. You can also get zinc from foods and I would obviously advocate for a healthy diet, but supplements might be a good option for people who need an extra boost during breakouts. Good luck, everyone!

on 8/8/2016 1:02:00 PM

Hi everyone! I have been lurking on these boards for a while now trying to find my almighty cure and I have finally found it thanks to you guys! Ever since I switched my birth control a few months ago , my skin has gone haywire. I wouldn't say its HORRIBLE, but moderate acne feels horrible to me. I do the oil cleansing method with coconut oil and take zinc which manages it but I still get bumps here and there and it sucks and took a toll on my self esteem.

I read all over that other vitamins can help cure you from the inside. I had nothing else to loose so I thought I might as well try. I bought some NOW brand Vitamin A 25,000 IU tablets, some SPROUTS brand Vitamin E 400 IU and take it with my zinc 50 mg tablets.I take one each after I eat my breakfast. LET ME TELL YOU.... I HAVE NOT HAD ONE BUMP SINCE TAKING THESE!!!!! I am in complete shock! This along side with my habits of drinking lots of water has cleared my skin! So PLEASE, if you are feeling sad and fed up with your skin, just try it you have nothing to loose! :D

PS zinc alone helped a little but with all of these, im CLEAR

on 5/25/2015 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have successfully used Zinc to treat a couple of different skin issues. I have also noticed an interesting side effect, my skin has actually improved greatly since I started this supplement. Which was to combat PD.
I take 25 MG of Zinc every day that I got at Walmart. I also topically would apply a highly concentrated cream that has 40% Zinc Oxide. It's actually butt cream for babies, but it does have a higher concentration and I can find it easily.
Periorificial Dermatitis, for those who know what this is, I'm sorry, and for those of you who don't know - consider yourself lucky. I actually was only recently officially diagnosed after years of wondering. There would sometimes be years between flareups of this condition, and I attributed it to sensitive skin.
Anyhow back to the Zinc. I used only two main things to clear up a particularly nasty recent flareup, Zinc supplement/cream and probiotics called Acidophilus Lactobacillus. It'd been years since my last saga with this, I had forgotten how bad it was.
The flareup is gone, I still take zinc every day because of the obvious skin benefits and occasionally I will use the cream on any type of bump on my face. My skin is clear, color is good and my overall complexion just looks much healthier than before I began. I also I'm using an organic sunscreen with Zinc 10% in it as well and it's just wonderful.

* I should mention that I wash using the OCM, and tried violet extract. I don't think the e tract did anything. < with regard to the PD.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am 41 with acne prone skin. I have had breakouts since I was a teenager. I have visited dermatologists, and tried just about every topical product available.

I researched natural ways to prevent acne/breakouts and zinc quickly rose to the top of my list of supplements to try. I can honestly say, after using zinc for about 2 weeks, my skin is clearer than it has been in years.

Every evening I take 30 mg of zinc picolinate. I don't take more than the recommended dosage as some suggest. The brand that I bought is a generic store brand, and it is in the form of a capsule that contains a gelatin capsule, cellulose, and magnesium stearate.

I plan to continue using this supplement. It is working for me, and if you have suffered with breakouts, I highly recommend giving this product a try!

on 5/20/2014 10:45:00 AM

It's actually disgusting that none of the dermatologists I've ever had in my life ever recommended me zinc. I've tried basically everything there is to try for my hormonal acne (big inflamed cysts around the mouth and jawline, tiny whiteheads all over my forehead and hairline, that get dramatically worse when I'm PMSing and on my period). You name it, I've gone through a month-long stint of it--Proactiv, Clean & Clear, Neutrogena Acne Stress Control, LaRoche Posay, Murad, on to prescription topicals like Tretinoin, Clindamycin, and, most recently, Differin gel.

Some specific background: My hormonal acne wasn't even that bad (maybe just mild, one or two smallish pimples a week) until I fucked up and had to take Plan B for the first time in my life. A few days later my acne EXPLODED across my entire face, deep cysts that refused to budge, every day more pimples that I could tell were in the process of becoming cysts, purple scarring, just horrible. I've always had horrendous PMS and really heavy periods with really bad cramps, but this time around, when my period came (which, sidenote: thank god) it was so heavy I bled through a pad an hour and my cramps were so bad no amount of painkillers could help me. I knew that the Plan B had done something terrible to my whole body--not just my face, and did some research.

I came to the conclusion that I've most likely always had an estrogen dominance, that was just reaaaaally amped up when I took the Plan B. And you guys, you really need to look into this if you think your acne is hormonal. If your acne usually erupts like a bunch of volcanoes on your period, if you have really bad PMS symptoms (extreme mood swings, bloating, insomnia, excessive hunger, painfully sore boobs), or if your periods are really heavy with tons of cramping, it's HIGHLY possible that your acne is caused by an estrogen dominance. Look it up if you don't believe me, there are tons of studies on this.

And, basically, if I condense all the stuff I read in the studies--estrogen dominance results from deficiencies in certain types of vitamins and minerals, and (obviously) too much estrogen, especially if you're taking any sort of contraceptive pill. One of the main things you can do to fix this is to take zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B supplements--three of the major minerals in your body that work to inhibit estrogen.

Anyway! My (really shitty, I now realize) dermatologist wasn't even listening to me when I told her my acne was DEFINITELY caused by the Plan B and was therefore hormonal--and just prescribed me Differin, saying, "all acne is essentially the same." NOPE. That was the last straw. Differin only irritated my skin, made it redder, flakier, and increased breakouts from the irritation, all while my hormonal breakouts continued to erupt across my face.

So, I did the research I told you about, and ordered zinc and vitamin B supplements online. Within TWO HOURS of taking these two supplements, the inflammation of my acne was greatly reduced, my cysts were smaller and softer, and a lot of my tiny white bumps seem to have magically disappeared. A bonus is that my skin has also gotten considerably less oily. It was SO OILY it was practically dripping by noon, but now it's almost at a normal-person level. I've been using these in conjunction with magnesium (which apparently goes well with the other two) for the past week, and I've already seen a dramatic clearing of my volcanic Plan B acne. I also am generally less irritable, sleep better, and, even though it's a week before my period, haven't experienced ANY PMS symptoms, which is a miracle. I'm excited for when my period comes, because I'm anticipating it'll be lighter, and my cramps will be manageable.

Really people, do your own research (of course!) but please try this if you fit the characteristics I described above. I heard this is also a good treatment for people who have just come off of birth control. Topicals and retinoids, I think, can do wonders for acne caused by bacteria, but it does nothing for hormonal acne--I wish my dermatologist had listened to me when I asked about that. I never really believed in holistic treatments before this, but wow, do I believe in them now. I thought Plan B had ruined my face forever, and am so glad I found this information online.

Hope this helps someone!

on 4/3/2014 9:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I've been taking zinc off and on for over eleven years and it's one of the most effective things I've found for fighting acne. It doesn't completely stop some of my hormonal acne but it does work for the rest. One warning about zinc is that taking too much of it can cause an imbalance of vitamins and minerals in the body, one of them being copper levels. Two months on and a month off is best.

I've always had acne. But zinc changed my life, maybe not only zinc but because I changed my routine in face washing. I changed to carrot soap and use the reparing treatment lotion from proactiv, Ialong with my makeup which is now the revlon colorstay foundation in buff and olive oil from filippo that I use as a makeup remover.and most importantly I started using this supplement. And I'm a 100% clear now thank you God. I dose myself with 6 zinc tabs a day 2 each meal from breakfast to dinner. I no longer breakout and I never get oily skin now. It has only been a week but is do notice a big difference on my skin since it has started getting whiter and less red and the spots seem to miraculously disappear. All I can say is that we always learn from trying, I've tried so much of facials tuff just to remove my acne but did te ealize the simple ones would be the most effective of all. Carrot soap has vit a which helps renew skin and helps as well in anti aging, olive oil helps repair and retain moisture in skin, revlon colorstay doesn't clog pores when I remove it with olive oil, and zinc has the super antioxidant our bodies all need. I'm so thankful to God.really, the greTest thing is that I was able to stop using the pore clogging bb cream I always buy from Japan which has always worsened the condition of my skin thNk God so much for this.

on 9/10/2013 6:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought zinc from the brand Now Foods (Optizinc - 30mg), which also have copper in it. I take the birth control pill for birth control purposes (obviously) but it never did anything for my acne. I have whiteheads and sometimes inflamed pimples around my jawline, and blackheads in my nose and cheeks. I have also oily skin...

Zinc seemed ok to take, and many people said it helped a lot with their acne and oily skin. I only took it for 2 weeks, because after that i had to take antibiotics, and i was afraid that zinc would affect it's absorption. After one week i had to take it only 2 to 3 times a week, because i was experience a lot of tiredness and a little of nose bleeding... But i notice a difference on my skin. It was looking healthier, less oily and inflamed spots were gone.

I stopped taken it, but i also noticed a difference on my period which came a couple of days after i stopped zinc. The bleeding was really minimal and different from my usual periods, which i clearly attribute to the taking of zinc. Zinc levels play an important role on menstrual cycle, by regulating the hormones. Its proven to make menstrual cramps better, but it also reduces bleeding. (i had no premenstrual pain, which i usually do) I'm now very skeptical about taking it again... if it can do this with my menstrual cycling, it's because is messing with it in certain way, and i'm not really comfortable with that... It's a shame...but i really don't want to mess with my internal system, i can make it worse by not knowing exactly what kind of imbalance i have.

on 5/18/2013 3:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm one of those girls who have hormonal acne. I've tried hormonal (birth control) treatment for years and it used to work for me, but in the last year I coudn't stand the side effects of the pills, so I stopped. (I highly recommend all girls [and boys! and whatever] to read about all the trouble birth control pills can make in your life. Yes, I'm talking about trombosis and AVC risks. So, do researches and find out).
My dermatologist tried to make me like benzoyl peroxide. It's ok, but didn't help that much. Other acids didn't solve the problem too. In fact, I never believed that much in topical treatments. If the problem is hormonal, why make so much effort everyday using 897969 gels, creams and lotions? Please.

So I tried Zinc 30 mg. Thank you, internet. Zinc is great! I have 80% less breakouts than I used to have before. Much less cystic acne. My skin looks so better now.
The next step is clearing the dark spots. It's an external problem, so in this case I believe in topical treatment.

Of course I'm still using a good facial cleanser (La Roche Posay Effaclair) and some topical products, like benzoyl peroxide and nicotinamide. I'm drinking a lot of water, too. Drink water, people.

And don't forget: If you want to try Zinc, you must take Cooper too.

on 3/24/2013 1:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have finally cured myself of acne. I've had horrible acne since college, mostly due to hormone imbalance and stress. At first I tried all sorts of topical solutions and of course they didn't work. Then tried modifying my diet to include healthier choices, more water, green tea, less sugar, more raw foods etc -none of that worked. Birth control (Yasmin) was really the only thing that worked. But after seeing reports on how some girls died from taking Yasmin, I tried to make several attempts to stop taking Yasmin but always gave up and went crawling back for more Yasmin because my breakups would be worse than ever before.
Last month, I did extensive research on what acne-sufferers are deficient in, and put myself on a new, strict, daily regiment:
(1) 25mg elemental zinc (gluconate) ($5 for 3 months supply)
(2) 3 table spoons of Brewer's yeast (in warm water) ($14 for 1 month supply)
(3) 2 tablets of spirulina ($7 for 3 month supply)
(4) 1 multi-vitamin containing copper ($11 for 3 month supply)
I overlapped my last packet of Yasmin with the above. It's been 1 month since I've stopped taking Yasmin and 2 months of taking my new regiment (1 month of taking it without Yasmin) and Ive only had 3 pimples, and they were very small and lasted 2 days tops -definitely not the large, deep, scarring. cystic pimples that lasted 2 weeks like I usually got before.
Only problem with zinc is that, although the tablet is tasteless, somehow just putting it on my tongue makes me gag. Also must be taken with a meal or else it feels "heavy" in the stomach and kinda nauseous.
Finally, I really can't comment on how effective zinc is by itself, since I've only tried it in combination with Brewer's yeast, spirulina, and a daily multi-vitamin. Do a quick Google search on these ingredients and like me, you;ll find they have a lot of benefits to acne sufferers. Good luck.
[Update] I've been doing this for 3-4 months now and my skin is doing very well. I've noticed a few patches of dry skin which makes sense considering zinc is supposed to decrease oil production. Skin still breaks out with the occasional small pimple but they are manageable and I'm still very happy with my results/progress.
[Update 07-May-2013] People keep messaging me for an update so here's another. I'm starting to lose track of when I started my regiment -I think it's been 5 months now. Due to budget restraints, I've stopped taking the multi-vitamin and the spirulina. But I'm still taking the Brewer's yeast and zinc in same amounts. If my skin flares up, I'll bite the cost and buy more multi-vitamins and spirulina, but so far, I haven't seen any negative effect from this change. My skin is still pretty clear. I've had 1-2 small pimples the past month but they healed on their own within a few days and were small enough that just a little tinted moisterizer was enough to cover them up. Those pimples were on my chin which I know means its hormonal -and they occurred right before my period. BTW, I dont, nor have I recently ever, used any topical acne treatment. More updates later.
[Update 27-Feb-2014] I thought I'd give one last update. Almost one year of taking Brewer's yeast and zinc tablets and my skin is pretty clear. I have absolutely no acne whatsoever on my cheeks, forehead, and nose. I have some breakouts on my chin because I had a slip in my regiment (I moved to a new city and couldn't find a store that supplied Brewer's yeast -so I was without it for a couple weeks until my online shipment arrived) but I'm back on track and havent broken out since. I also brokeout when I traveled for a week on vacation and couldn't fit my giant tub of Brewer's yeast+zinc in my luggage. These slips in my Brewer's yeast+zinc regiment are my evidence that Brewers yeast+zinc are my cure for acne. I hope someone has the same luck with this that I did. Cheers.

Popular Other Products