Filtered by skin type : Sensitive

4.2

on 4/3/2014 9:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I've been taking zinc off and on for over eleven years and it's one of the most effective things I've found for fighting acne. It doesn't completely stop some of my hormonal acne but it does work for the rest. One warning about zinc is that taking too much of it can cause an imbalance of vitamins and minerals in the body, one of them being copper levels. Two months on and a month off is best.

on 3/8/2013 2:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure

**UPDATE May 1st 2013
upped my zinc intake to 100-150mg (temporarily) and skin improved DRAMATICALLY. it has been 8 weeks since i've taken zinc and skin has improved immensely. just hyperpigmentation marks that will eventually fade but no crazy breakouts or cystic pimples. tone and texture of skin also looking good (i think, also thanks to the peter thomas roth gentle complexion corrector pads). i highly recommend zinc to everyone-be patient and your patience will pay off.

----------------------

I got off birth control recently (Yasmin.. horrible stuff) and it screwed me up hormonally, leaving me with horrible acne breakouts. I never had any problems with acne, not even in high school (in fact my skin was perfect prior to this) so this is new to me. at first i tried benzac10, finacea, toner for acne prone skin, everything but nothing worked. instead it seemed to get worse, resulting in skin pigmentation. and this all happened within the course of 3 weeks!!!

i researched online and found that i might have acne due to hormonal imbalances and that some people found evening primrose to be helpful. So, last week on friday, i asked my naturopath who worked at the same chemist as i do about evening primrose. She actually recommended me to take a zinc test - if you live in Australia, Ethical Nutrients do a good zinc test - to see if my hormones are the cause of my sudden acne and not something else (she didn't believe evening primrose to do the trick). lo and behold, i had hormone imbalance as the zinc test showed. she got me on a daily dose of zinc, a vitamin B5 B6 (a naturopath/practitioner only range called Metagenics) and told me to test it again in about a month. She also said the vitamin B will work with the zinc to accelerate healing.

it's already been one week since i started taking and i noticed my acne, instead of going cystic and ugly, are quite calm. i stopped breaking out daily (so far i only had 3 new pimples since started taking zinc, but nothing cystic) and my other acne seems to be healing relatively well compared to the previous weeks.

The general tone and texture of my skin seems better too. i also tested my zinc levels today (it's my seventh day on zinc) and according to the chart i am improving slightly. i will test again in about 3 weeks since it takes a while for this supplement to kick in. apparently zinc is also good to heal skin pigmentation.

it's still too early to say, but so far i am quite happy with zinc as far as regulating my hormones. i dont feel that depressed as when i was on the birth control. i feel optimistic that zinc will help my skin in the long run.

please note that i also changed my diet - eating cleaner, salmon 3 times a week, fruit and my doctor prescribed me with docycycline (antibiotics for acne) 2 days after starting on zinc so perhaps that also helped.BUT from my research, i found more positive reviews for zinc that i have for docycyline. After trial and error, i found natural and complementary therapy is heaps better than prescribed medicine as it heals your body naturally with little to no side effects (when monitored by a professional).

so everybody with hormonal acne - i urge you to give zinc a try. but it's not a miracle worker so you have to be patient. and use a zinc test you can buy easily from a pharmacy as that may help u regulate your zinc (too much of it can be toxic). i also bought a copper supplement in case i overdose on zinc. once my hormones regulate i will change my zinc dosage to maintainance level.

What I take now, once a day for my skin:
Ethical Nutrients zinc Fix with 61 mg zinc (22.5mg) elemental zinc, raspberry flavour
Bioceuticals Zinc drops 7.5mg as a 'hit' 1-3 times a day
Vitamin B5B6 from Metagenics
Vitamin D
Evening primrose
Going to start on a copper supplement

Diet:
Salmon at least 3 times a week
cut down on sugar

Skin cleansing routine:
stripped everything down to just Cetaphil wash, Cetaphil moisturizer during the day (toner was drying up my already sensitive skin from the topical creams and gels) and rosehip oil at night

on 11/19/2012 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Honestly, who knew?

I went off birth control in January of this year, things were fine until two months later when my jawline began breaking out in horrible acne and I began to get tiny bumps all over my forehead. Now I've never had perfect skin (this is partly my skin-picking fault) but this was something I've NEVER had before in my life. I'm 23, never suffered from jawline acne (those horrible kind under the skin). So after my confidence kept taking huge hits and my period refused to regulate (this is how I knew my acne was HORMONAL) I decided to give zinc a try... that brings me to my question

Who knew this stuff was so amazing!?!?!

I have been taking OptiZinc brand (purchased from Amazon) for over 2 months now and my jawline hormonal acne has completely gone away (or like 95%). I just take one a day. Its actually eradicated my acid reflux I experience after having an alcoholic beverage too. Bonus!!

I can't recommend this stuff enough to women who think their acne is caused by hormonal imbalances. Give it at least one month, okay? I noticed dramatic results within 2 weeks.

Again, I use the OptiZinc brand because it contains copper, which taking zinc will deplete. I only take one pill a day @ 30mgs of zinc monomethionine and 300mg of copper sebacate.

Good luck everyone!

on 4/16/2010 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I bought a cheap bottle of zinc supplements from Target to try. For the most part, I do not suffer from acne with the exception of hormonal breakouts along my jawline.
Bottom line: These worked for me, but I have to preface that I am pretty bad about taking any sort of supplements. I'm not very consistent with them, and find them a hassle generally. Now if I could find a liquid formula, I'd be much more interested in taking supplements, but I digress. However, when I was consistent in taking one of these daily, there was literally no breakout in sight. Also, heed the warnings here about eating a full meal before taking zinc, or stomach cramping and nauseous feelings will ensue.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just started taking Zinc supplements (50mg) for acne! It seems to be working so far

Popular Other Products