Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone

4.2

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Take these on a full stomach- after breakfast preferably. They can cause extreme nausea on an empty stomach.

I just started taking zinc this week, so I won't touch on its effectiveness yet. However, I feel like I have to comment on some of the concerns from the reviews here...

For everyone freaking out about people "overdosing" on zinc, please do your research- I highly recommend the National Institutes of Health site. Yes, women need about 8mg of zinc per day and yes 40 mg is the tolerable upper limit according to the US, but don't you wonder why all of the zinc at the drug store is 15+mg and the most popular is 25-50mg?? That's because the item pictured is NOT 50mg of elemental zinc (which is what daily value takes into consideration and a blood test would find). It is 50mg of zinc gluconate- which is about 13% elemental zinc by weight, which means 50mg of zinc gluconate (as pictured) is about 6.5mg of elemental zinc. All of the different forms of zinc contain a different amount of elemental zinc. Please stop with the all caps reviews XD

Another great thing to look into if you are considering supplementing zinc is the list of foods that contain zinc to decide how much zinc you are getting on an average day. The highest amounts of zinc are found in oysters, lobsters and crabs. Also worth noting is beef, dark meat chicken, baked beans and pork chops. Per serving, these give 19% of your daily value or higher (Oysters give nearly 500% per serving). On the lower amounts are dairy products milk, certain cheeses, yogurt (however my yogurt has no zinc) and chicken breast which gives a measly 6% of your DV per serving.... All of this info is available on the site I mentioned.

So for me, I can say I'm not getting consistent zinc. I do eat beef, but if I look into extra lean ground beef (as I eat), it does not list any zinc. I eat chicken sometimes, but not usually dark meat. I stopped drinking milk to try to eliminate hormone imbalances. I don't eat seafood, baked beans, or many of the specific cheeses they listed. I would wager there are many days where I don't get any zinc at all and at best maybe I get half my daily intake, but only sometimes.

These are definitely things to consider. Don't be afraid to go to your doctor about your concerns. Another thing to consider is if you have other symptoms of low zinc. Zinc plays a huge role in immune function and inflammatory response. Think inflammation- acne, eczema, psoriasis, respiratory infections, arthritis, etc. It's also linked to difficulty losing weight, weight gain, fatigue, depression and anxiety. I have low thyroid (also inflammation) and it shares many symptoms with zinc deficiency. I also have psoriasis on my scalp and this correlation between low thyroid, psoriasis and zinc is a little interesting!

I will update with how this works for me. Currently I am taking 100mg of zinc gluconate (so about 13mg of elemental zinc). If it helps, I may ease back to just 50mg/6.5mg elemental once hopefully my skin is clear. I am also taking a probiotic supplement and I have a probiotic yogurt every day. I won't update for about a month unless something ground breaking happens. Leaving this at a hopeful 4 lippies for now.

on 5/7/2017 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I have been taking these for a while off an on over the years to mainly to reduce oil production on my face and for immunity support.

Then I had a copper IUD in Oct 2015, 4 months later my skin just exploded in acne and my anxiety / depression progressively was getting worse. Nothing drastic just a steady decline into a mess. My skins change could be attributed to new products I was using, hormonal surges, stress that sort of thing.

Then I read of a woman who had a copper IUD and then proceeded to have acne issues not touched by topicals nor internal medicines since insertion. She had a zinc serum test done and her levels were low. She took supplements and adjusted her diet, under medical supervision and her blood zinc serum levels became normal.

This mystery woman had the best case situation within the medical establishment. I live in the UK, without the funds to get private blood tests done. My GP was dismissive of the copper / zinc in-balance from such a tiny amount of copper. I made a deal to find some convincing studies and couldn't find any gold standard randomised controlled trials directly linking copper iud's and zinc depletion. Grrrr.

Anyway I went off and looked up copper toxicity and trying to balance this out blind. I do not recommend it. At all. I do not take more than the recommended daily allowance and I still take a low form of copper that is in a multi vitamin and mineral supplement. All I can say is my skin has been able to respond to my treatments, reduction of hyper pigmentation dark spot life and less likely to pick up a cold. My anxiety depression has lessened, not totally gone but I think the zinc depletion aspect to it is addressed by supplementing. I know this by taking a 3 months worth then forgetting to restock for a month and certain symptoms were becoming magnified again. I have been back on them for 6 wks and yeah I "feel" better. How is that for science??

If you can get a blood test, either for copper toxicity levels or for serum zinc levels, as both work in tandem, would be best. If copper is too high then zinc will be low, both minerals are essential to our being only if they are balanced. Ummm yeah

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I was going through some old stuff this morning and throwing out all these old supplements (apparently, over the years I have collected TONS) and came across a couple old bottles of Zinc and Optizinc. I used to suffer from chronic cystic/nodular acne. Anyone whose ever suffered chronically from this kind of acne will inevitably go on the internet in search of help and eventually, they will discover that zinc is like, THE supplement to take.

Unfortunately, zinc would always work for the first few days I took it and then BAM, it always seemed as if it slowly worsened my acne! But what the hell?! It seemed to me that everybody in internetland was always raving about how great zinc was as a "cure" for acne--there are even scientific studies to back it up, right? Surely it was just in my head that it was making my acne worse...but I tried to take zinc several times over the years with the same horrible results every time.

I have since learned that THE PROBLEM WITH TAKING SOME ZINC SUPPLEMENTS can be that a lot of zinc supplements come with a mega dose of B vitamins (B6) and no joke, taking too much B vitamins CAN GIVE YOU ACNE. If you're gonna take one, just make sure you get your zinc supplement without all that evil b vitamin (also FYI don't take a zinc supplement if you're on antibiotics bc it can interfere with absorption!). While you're at it, check your daily multivitamin to see if it has mega doses of B vitamins....i used to take a daily vitamin that had like 500-1000% of various b vitamins and within DAYS of when I finally stopped taking it my skin got considerably better.

Anyways, I'm not sure if b-vitamins have this effect on everyone but they sure as hell do on me and i only wrote this review cause I really wish someone had told me! I do know that UCLA did a recent study that confirmed it with B12, at least, but I know from experience that B6 does it to me too.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Okay, so I've suffered from acne for a good 9-10 years now. I am a 20-year-old female and I live in a humid, tropical country. I mostly get consistent, moderate acne and maybe one or two minor cysts before my period. The worst part about my acne is how consistent it is: no sooner do I get rid of one pimple does another one appear, either in the same or different part of my face. When I started getting treatment, at the age of 15, my acne looked like this:
- Thousands of large clogged pores on my forehead and nose, and a couple of inflamed pimples every month
- Consistent moderate inflamed pimples / one-two minor cysts on cheeks

And here is my treatment story, in chronological order:

1) Initially, I was put on doxycycline, tretinoin and BP for a few months. This worked very well and I was clear but the moment I went off the Doxy, the acne came back with a vengeance. In my teenage folly, I also slathered on way too much of the tretinoin and BP and that dried out my skin, making my skin flaky and gross on top of acne-prone.

2) Tretinoin and BP for 4-5 years and non-comedogenic makeup. This did not make my acne any worse, but certainly didn't make it any better. In any case I was going through my hormonal teenage years and because the derm said this was hormonal acne, we opted to wait it out instead of starting on birth control, and I did not want to do Accutane because of the possible side effects.

3) Another course of Doxy at the age of 19 (last year), along with the tretinoin and BP. Again, this was great in the short term, did zilch in the long run.

4) After I finished the doxy and was back on tretinoin and BP, I began wondering why exactly my skin had yet to clear up. I was still suffering hormonal outbreaks at an age where most other girls had gotten over the hyper-hormonal swings of the teenage years. So for the past year or so I began experimenting with other treatments in an effort to find and treat the root cause of my skin problems.

5) Firstly, I added a non-comedogenic mosturizer. This definitely helped a lot in improving the texture of my skin but did nothing for the acne. that meant that my acne was not just caused by dry skin clogging my pores.

6) Secondly, I visited a better dermatologist that basically told me to stop slathering on the tretinoin and BP, and to use very little of the tretinoin every other night, and I started using a well-formulated sunscreen with no irritating ingredients. Again, this did a lot for the texture and overall health of my skin but not much for the acne itself.

Now, I happened to read on the internet that vegetarians tend to be deficient in zinc, and that zinc deficiency may cause acne. And I am vegetarian so I figured I'd order some supplements off the internet and see what happens. I've been taking 30mg zinc (Now Foods - L-Optizinc) for 3 days and these are the first three days I can remmber in a LONG TIME that I have NOT had ANY new pimples. This is an incredible milestone for me. This has not happened to me for a decade. My skin also looks a lot healthier and a lot less inflamed. Could this be my magic bullet? I realize it has only been 3 days (hence 3 lippies not 5 because I'm not sure about long term) but I'm having a good feeling about this, especially because my period is due in a few days and this time of the year is usually when the nasty cysts hit. I'm going to continue the 30mg Optizinc for 2-3 months to confirm that it is indeed the zinc that is helping, and that this is not just the placebo effect. After that, I plan to cut down to 15mg of Zinc Picolinate (can't get Optizinc in 15mg forms for whatever reason) and hopefully use that as a maintenance dose . I am so glad this seems to be working and I hope my review was helpful to you. I will edit my review as the days go by so we'll see what happens.

EDITS:
1) Day 4: 2-3 very small, inflamed pimples. Much, much smaller than normal. Took 60mg instead of 30mg to see if that'll help. Stomach feels a little funky so hope that works out!

19 Oct 2014: I have been taking this for about a month now. It has NOT been helping! Read my log on my Notepad for the full story. Long story short, swapping this out for 15mg Zinc Picolinate. Will update to see if that works.

on 5/20/2014 10:45:00 AM

It's actually disgusting that none of the dermatologists I've ever had in my life ever recommended me zinc. I've tried basically everything there is to try for my hormonal acne (big inflamed cysts around the mouth and jawline, tiny whiteheads all over my forehead and hairline, that get dramatically worse when I'm PMSing and on my period). You name it, I've gone through a month-long stint of it--Proactiv, Clean & Clear, Neutrogena Acne Stress Control, LaRoche Posay, Murad, on to prescription topicals like Tretinoin, Clindamycin, and, most recently, Differin gel.

Some specific background: My hormonal acne wasn't even that bad (maybe just mild, one or two smallish pimples a week) until I fucked up and had to take Plan B for the first time in my life. A few days later my acne EXPLODED across my entire face, deep cysts that refused to budge, every day more pimples that I could tell were in the process of becoming cysts, purple scarring, just horrible. I've always had horrendous PMS and really heavy periods with really bad cramps, but this time around, when my period came (which, sidenote: thank god) it was so heavy I bled through a pad an hour and my cramps were so bad no amount of painkillers could help me. I knew that the Plan B had done something terrible to my whole body--not just my face, and did some research.

I came to the conclusion that I've most likely always had an estrogen dominance, that was just reaaaaally amped up when I took the Plan B. And you guys, you really need to look into this if you think your acne is hormonal. If your acne usually erupts like a bunch of volcanoes on your period, if you have really bad PMS symptoms (extreme mood swings, bloating, insomnia, excessive hunger, painfully sore boobs), or if your periods are really heavy with tons of cramping, it's HIGHLY possible that your acne is caused by an estrogen dominance. Look it up if you don't believe me, there are tons of studies on this.

And, basically, if I condense all the stuff I read in the studies--estrogen dominance results from deficiencies in certain types of vitamins and minerals, and (obviously) too much estrogen, especially if you're taking any sort of contraceptive pill. One of the main things you can do to fix this is to take zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B supplements--three of the major minerals in your body that work to inhibit estrogen.

Anyway! My (really shitty, I now realize) dermatologist wasn't even listening to me when I told her my acne was DEFINITELY caused by the Plan B and was therefore hormonal--and just prescribed me Differin, saying, "all acne is essentially the same." NOPE. That was the last straw. Differin only irritated my skin, made it redder, flakier, and increased breakouts from the irritation, all while my hormonal breakouts continued to erupt across my face.

So, I did the research I told you about, and ordered zinc and vitamin B supplements online. Within TWO HOURS of taking these two supplements, the inflammation of my acne was greatly reduced, my cysts were smaller and softer, and a lot of my tiny white bumps seem to have magically disappeared. A bonus is that my skin has also gotten considerably less oily. It was SO OILY it was practically dripping by noon, but now it's almost at a normal-person level. I've been using these in conjunction with magnesium (which apparently goes well with the other two) for the past week, and I've already seen a dramatic clearing of my volcanic Plan B acne. I also am generally less irritable, sleep better, and, even though it's a week before my period, haven't experienced ANY PMS symptoms, which is a miracle. I'm excited for when my period comes, because I'm anticipating it'll be lighter, and my cramps will be manageable.

Really people, do your own research (of course!) but please try this if you fit the characteristics I described above. I heard this is also a good treatment for people who have just come off of birth control. Topicals and retinoids, I think, can do wonders for acne caused by bacteria, but it does nothing for hormonal acne--I wish my dermatologist had listened to me when I asked about that. I never really believed in holistic treatments before this, but wow, do I believe in them now. I thought Plan B had ruined my face forever, and am so glad I found this information online.

Hope this helps someone!

As anyone can see from all these reviews, zinc works for acne. I have been to my regular dermatologist under my insurance and I have been to two fancy expensive dermatologists in Beverly Hills that I payed out of pocket for and not one of them told me about zinc. I have had chemical peels and everything except for accutane. I went in to beg my regular derm to do something else and he just sent me home with a higher dosage of topical creams. Ridiculous. They have to know about zinc but they wanted to prescribe and make money. I found out about zinc from my stepdad's hockey teammate. This guy is in his late 50's and he told me he knew the cure to acne and that zinc is what he took when he was my age (I'm 20) when he had acne. So apparently taking zinc for acne has been around for a long time.
I had cystic acne that was painful and itchy. Now I might only get a couple small pimples before my period. My scars are finally healing. I have been on zinc for a few months but I noticed major improvement within the first week. I take 30mg a day.
Zinc changed my life. I didn't even want to go out to look for a job because I was so embarrassed about my acne. Now I don't have to wear foundation every day. Anyone who has acne needs to try zinc. Don't fuss with all these topical creams and antibiotics.

on 1/2/2014 3:26:00 PM

How come zinc isnt working for me:( I took zinc citrate at first for 2 weeks but then I read in sone reviews that zinc picolinate is much more effective so I switched. been almost 4 weeks now, still I cant see a difference. I still get the usual acne that I get when I have my period. I would reeeaaally want this to work for me. can somebody pls tell me why its not working?!:(

on 9/10/2013 6:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought zinc from the brand Now Foods (Optizinc - 30mg), which also have copper in it. I take the birth control pill for birth control purposes (obviously) but it never did anything for my acne. I have whiteheads and sometimes inflamed pimples around my jawline, and blackheads in my nose and cheeks. I have also oily skin...

Zinc seemed ok to take, and many people said it helped a lot with their acne and oily skin. I only took it for 2 weeks, because after that i had to take antibiotics, and i was afraid that zinc would affect it's absorption. After one week i had to take it only 2 to 3 times a week, because i was experience a lot of tiredness and a little of nose bleeding... But i notice a difference on my skin. It was looking healthier, less oily and inflamed spots were gone.

I stopped taken it, but i also noticed a difference on my period which came a couple of days after i stopped zinc. The bleeding was really minimal and different from my usual periods, which i clearly attribute to the taking of zinc. Zinc levels play an important role on menstrual cycle, by regulating the hormones. Its proven to make menstrual cramps better, but it also reduces bleeding. (i had no premenstrual pain, which i usually do) I'm now very skeptical about taking it again... if it can do this with my menstrual cycling, it's because is messing with it in certain way, and i'm not really comfortable with that... It's a shame...but i really don't want to mess with my internal system, i can make it worse by not knowing exactly what kind of imbalance i have.

on 5/18/2013 3:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm one of those girls who have hormonal acne. I've tried hormonal (birth control) treatment for years and it used to work for me, but in the last year I coudn't stand the side effects of the pills, so I stopped. (I highly recommend all girls [and boys! and whatever] to read about all the trouble birth control pills can make in your life. Yes, I'm talking about trombosis and AVC risks. So, do researches and find out).
My dermatologist tried to make me like benzoyl peroxide. It's ok, but didn't help that much. Other acids didn't solve the problem too. In fact, I never believed that much in topical treatments. If the problem is hormonal, why make so much effort everyday using 897969 gels, creams and lotions? Please.

So I tried Zinc 30 mg. Thank you, internet. Zinc is great! I have 80% less breakouts than I used to have before. Much less cystic acne. My skin looks so better now.
The next step is clearing the dark spots. It's an external problem, so in this case I believe in topical treatment.

Of course I'm still using a good facial cleanser (La Roche Posay Effaclair) and some topical products, like benzoyl peroxide and nicotinamide. I'm drinking a lot of water, too. Drink water, people.

And don't forget: If you want to try Zinc, you must take Cooper too.

on 2/12/2013 7:45:00 PM

I did a ton of research on zinc before I gave it a shot and I wish I took this path 2 years ago. I am currently taking 30mg of zinc because my body is so small and don't want to harm it. At the beginning I was disappointed, but stuck with it because of all the good reviews. I am grateful I stuck with the zinc. It may cause you to break out at first, but that shows it is doing it's job. Zinc helps with the immune system and gets rid of toxins in your body. The toxins come through your skin resulting in pimples. This breakout depends on how much zinc you are taking and how much toxins are in your body. This is why is important to eat healthy. Zinc also helps reduce the amount of oil your body produces. I definitely recommend this, but give it time(:

Popular Other Products