Filtered by skin tone : Fair

4.3

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Take these on a full stomach- after breakfast preferably. They can cause extreme nausea on an empty stomach.

I just started taking zinc this week, so I won't touch on its effectiveness yet. However, I feel like I have to comment on some of the concerns from the reviews here...

For everyone freaking out about people "overdosing" on zinc, please do your research- I highly recommend the National Institutes of Health site. Yes, women need about 8mg of zinc per day and yes 40 mg is the tolerable upper limit according to the US, but don't you wonder why all of the zinc at the drug store is 15+mg and the most popular is 25-50mg?? That's because the item pictured is NOT 50mg of elemental zinc (which is what daily value takes into consideration and a blood test would find). It is 50mg of zinc gluconate- which is about 13% elemental zinc by weight, which means 50mg of zinc gluconate (as pictured) is about 6.5mg of elemental zinc. All of the different forms of zinc contain a different amount of elemental zinc. Please stop with the all caps reviews XD

Another great thing to look into if you are considering supplementing zinc is the list of foods that contain zinc to decide how much zinc you are getting on an average day. The highest amounts of zinc are found in oysters, lobsters and crabs. Also worth noting is beef, dark meat chicken, baked beans and pork chops. Per serving, these give 19% of your daily value or higher (Oysters give nearly 500% per serving). On the lower amounts are dairy products milk, certain cheeses, yogurt (however my yogurt has no zinc) and chicken breast which gives a measly 6% of your DV per serving.... All of this info is available on the site I mentioned.

So for me, I can say I'm not getting consistent zinc. I do eat beef, but if I look into extra lean ground beef (as I eat), it does not list any zinc. I eat chicken sometimes, but not usually dark meat. I stopped drinking milk to try to eliminate hormone imbalances. I don't eat seafood, baked beans, or many of the specific cheeses they listed. I would wager there are many days where I don't get any zinc at all and at best maybe I get half my daily intake, but only sometimes.

These are definitely things to consider. Don't be afraid to go to your doctor about your concerns. Another thing to consider is if you have other symptoms of low zinc. Zinc plays a huge role in immune function and inflammatory response. Think inflammation- acne, eczema, psoriasis, respiratory infections, arthritis, etc. It's also linked to difficulty losing weight, weight gain, fatigue, depression and anxiety. I have low thyroid (also inflammation) and it shares many symptoms with zinc deficiency. I also have psoriasis on my scalp and this correlation between low thyroid, psoriasis and zinc is a little interesting!

I will update with how this works for me. Currently I am taking 100mg of zinc gluconate (so about 13mg of elemental zinc). If it helps, I may ease back to just 50mg/6.5mg elemental once hopefully my skin is clear. I am also taking a probiotic supplement and I have a probiotic yogurt every day. I won't update for about a month unless something ground breaking happens. Leaving this at a hopeful 4 lippies for now.

As anyone can see from all these reviews, zinc works for acne. I have been to my regular dermatologist under my insurance and I have been to two fancy expensive dermatologists in Beverly Hills that I payed out of pocket for and not one of them told me about zinc. I have had chemical peels and everything except for accutane. I went in to beg my regular derm to do something else and he just sent me home with a higher dosage of topical creams. Ridiculous. They have to know about zinc but they wanted to prescribe and make money. I found out about zinc from my stepdad's hockey teammate. This guy is in his late 50's and he told me he knew the cure to acne and that zinc is what he took when he was my age (I'm 20) when he had acne. So apparently taking zinc for acne has been around for a long time.
I had cystic acne that was painful and itchy. Now I might only get a couple small pimples before my period. My scars are finally healing. I have been on zinc for a few months but I noticed major improvement within the first week. I take 30mg a day.
Zinc changed my life. I didn't even want to go out to look for a job because I was so embarrassed about my acne. Now I don't have to wear foundation every day. Anyone who has acne needs to try zinc. Don't fuss with all these topical creams and antibiotics.

on 1/2/2014 3:26:00 PM

How come zinc isnt working for me:( I took zinc citrate at first for 2 weeks but then I read in sone reviews that zinc picolinate is much more effective so I switched. been almost 4 weeks now, still I cant see a difference. I still get the usual acne that I get when I have my period. I would reeeaaally want this to work for me. can somebody pls tell me why its not working?!:(

Zinc is an important mineral and I take 15 mg a day, which is the recommended daily allowance for adult females.

I am concerned to see people here (who are not medical professionals) advocating taking 100 mg, or even 150 mg!, per day --- the United States government's daily maximum "upper intake level" for zinc is 40 mg, and the United Kingdom government's "safe upper level" is 25 mg.

Although vitamins, minerals, herbs, and some hormones (such as melatonin) are available in the US over-the-counter without a prescription, that does not mean that they are safe taken in any amount whatsoever.

Many of these substances can have serious health consequences, either when the person has a deficiency (not enough) or a surplus (too much) of them.

It may be hard to identify when a substance is building up to toxic levels in your body, because the side effects may not be what you expect, or they may be doing damage on the inside that isn't immediately clear to you.

Also, many vitamins and minerals need to be taken in a balance with each other -- taking too much of one while not taking any of another, or taking 50 times the recommended daily intake of one while only taking 2 times the recommended daily intake of another CAN be really detrimental to your health, over time.

In the example of zinc, it should be taken along with copper. That doesn't mean that if you take a low-dose multi-vitamin that has a small amount of copper in it (usually they will have 1 mg of copper), that you can then go and take 150 mg of zinc in a standalone supplement and be okay for the copper:zinc ratio! The daily one-a-day multi-vitamin will already have the correct zinc and copper ratio in it, so you can't add 10 times the zinc to your daily intake by popping extra zinc pills and rely on the little 1 mg of copper in the one-a-day to balance that amount of zinc out.

The ratio of zinc to copper should be anywhere from 8:1 to 15:1. That means, from 8 mg of zinc to 1 mg of copper, to 15 mg of zinc to 1 mg of copper - somewhere in those boundaries. Therefore, if you take 30 mg of zinc, take at least 2 mg of copper.

If you take a daily one-a-day multi-vitamin/mineral which probably already has 15 mg of zinc in it and 1 mg of copper, then you also take a standalone zinc supplement of another 15 mg - or even of 30 mg or 50 mg or whatever - then you will need to take a standalone copper supplement that will bring the total zinc:copper ratio into balance again.

And recall that the US recommended *maximum* daily level of zinc is 40 mg, and the UK's is 25 mg. The health department scientists of the national governments do not publish their recommended upper intake maximum levels without doing research and taking many factors into consideration. Yes, sometimes their ideas are pretty conservative, and sometimes there are good medical reasons to go above the recommended upper intake levels, especially of course when one is being treated by a medical professional who knows what she/he is doing, but if you haven't researched the area yourself and know the potential pros and cons, it is folly to dose yourself with a *huge* amount of anything, just because you can buy it on a store shelf without anyone stopping you, because it seems to be harmless in small amounts, and because some of the side effects of taking a toxic amount of it might be what you are looking for (like less skin oil, less acne) -- while some of the detrimental side effects may be doing untold damage to other parts of your body, and you may not even know it.

A few years ago I saw one resource on the internet that said that taking 50 mg of zinc would help painful menstrual cycles, but I checked around and found that there wasn't anything else to back that up. Just as one example, Dr. Ray Sahelian, a proponent of supplements (far more than most American mainstream M.D. doctors are) says on his site that he doesn't know of any research supporting that claim about zinc helping difficult menstrual periods, and he does not recommend a high dose of zinc (not over the RDA of 15 mg a day).

Supplements can have really strong, wonderful effects on the health, and many that I've researched on my own and bought over-the-counter have improved my health (including herbs and hormones). They can also throw you for a big loop, and cause all kinds of unwanted side effects, deficiencies, etc. These things can really be as powerful as prescription drugs, especially in high doses.

If you want to research vitamins and minerals and find the latest evidence, by all means, please look them up widely on the internet, making sure that the sources that you consult are legitimate and relatively trustworthy, and you might try the US government's pubmed.com website which lists research articles and studies from around the world.

on 10/31/2013 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I thought this could be it when I read all the glowing reviews on here to fix acne. I've been off bc for almost a year now and I feel like a teenager again. It's depressing, and I didn't go on bc for my skin, but it did make it better. I've been taking zinc for 3 months now and my acne went down maybe 20%. It's better than nothing, but it's not my cure. I started off using the food-based New Chapter 15mg - which didn't do anything - then switched to food-based Garden of LIfe 30mg a day. That's when I noticed a slight change. I haven't tried synthetic versions and I don't plan to, since the reason I went off bc was to have a clean lifestyle. I could up my intake of zinc, but the recommended daily value is 15mg (according to The Immune System Cure) so I won't.

on 7/19/2013 10:13:00 AM

I went through high school without so much as a single blemish and always had porcelain baby skin. After discontinuing birth control, my skin was never the same and I was always getting big, nasty, cystic zits. I started taking zinc and adopted other skincare changes and after about a month, my skin had improved a lot! I stopped getting the cysts, had fewer clogged pores, and even felt less oily. *BUT* as others have mentioned, zinc depletes copper- which I discovered after some research, is important to melanin production in hair. I started noticing not gray, but WHITE baby hairs and some roots growing from my head around my face. I'm only 20! I attribute this to taking too much zinc for a long period of time and not taking an additional copper supplement. I stopped taking it completely, and after a while the skin problems came back, but the white hairs also stopped appearing. Now, I only take zinc 1-3 times a week which is enough to keep my skin clear, but not give me white hair at 20. It takes a while to start working, but it definitely does eventually. I also must agree that taking this on even a semi-empty stomach will make you nauseous for hours.

on 2/12/2013 7:45:00 PM

I did a ton of research on zinc before I gave it a shot and I wish I took this path 2 years ago. I am currently taking 30mg of zinc because my body is so small and don't want to harm it. At the beginning I was disappointed, but stuck with it because of all the good reviews. I am grateful I stuck with the zinc. It may cause you to break out at first, but that shows it is doing it's job. Zinc helps with the immune system and gets rid of toxins in your body. The toxins come through your skin resulting in pimples. This breakout depends on how much zinc you are taking and how much toxins are in your body. This is why is important to eat healthy. Zinc also helps reduce the amount of oil your body produces. I definitely recommend this, but give it time(:

on 2/11/2013 3:38:00 AM

I wanted to give this a try after my last break-out. First off, my skin has been less oily. Which is a big positive. I haven't had any break-outs since my last one (I tend to suffer from cystic acne every few months) and this helped heal those two spots. I truly believe this can work and does work, because my skin has been better since I started taking this.

The only downside is I do get nauseous if I don't eat after or before. I take one 50mg a day. I find the pill hard to swallow too, because they desolve super easily. But all in all, it's worth it.

on 11/19/2012 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Honestly, who knew?

I went off birth control in January of this year, things were fine until two months later when my jawline began breaking out in horrible acne and I began to get tiny bumps all over my forehead. Now I've never had perfect skin (this is partly my skin-picking fault) but this was something I've NEVER had before in my life. I'm 23, never suffered from jawline acne (those horrible kind under the skin). So after my confidence kept taking huge hits and my period refused to regulate (this is how I knew my acne was HORMONAL) I decided to give zinc a try... that brings me to my question

Who knew this stuff was so amazing!?!?!

I have been taking OptiZinc brand (purchased from Amazon) for over 2 months now and my jawline hormonal acne has completely gone away (or like 95%). I just take one a day. Its actually eradicated my acid reflux I experience after having an alcoholic beverage too. Bonus!!

I can't recommend this stuff enough to women who think their acne is caused by hormonal imbalances. Give it at least one month, okay? I noticed dramatic results within 2 weeks.

Again, I use the OptiZinc brand because it contains copper, which taking zinc will deplete. I only take one pill a day @ 30mgs of zinc monomethionine and 300mg of copper sebacate.

Good luck everyone!

Awesome. I originally tried taking zinc naturally by eating loads of pumpkin seeds. Worked quite well but I couldn't eat enough regularly and got sick of them. I don't like seafood or other zinc rich foods.

My skin has got loads better, only once spot since taking it and this wasn't as bad. Eat with food and its fine. I saw results almost instantly. Even pores on nose are smaller. Yay. I bought two lots of pills. They both say they're 15mg, they're from Sainsbury's and Asda's.

Popular Other Products