Filtered by skin tone : Other

4.6

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I was going through some old stuff this morning and throwing out all these old supplements (apparently, over the years I have collected TONS) and came across a couple old bottles of Zinc and Optizinc. I used to suffer from chronic cystic/nodular acne. Anyone whose ever suffered chronically from this kind of acne will inevitably go on the internet in search of help and eventually, they will discover that zinc is like, THE supplement to take.

Unfortunately, zinc would always work for the first few days I took it and then BAM, it always seemed as if it slowly worsened my acne! But what the hell?! It seemed to me that everybody in internetland was always raving about how great zinc was as a "cure" for acne--there are even scientific studies to back it up, right? Surely it was just in my head that it was making my acne worse...but I tried to take zinc several times over the years with the same horrible results every time.

I have since learned that THE PROBLEM WITH TAKING SOME ZINC SUPPLEMENTS can be that a lot of zinc supplements come with a mega dose of B vitamins (B6) and no joke, taking too much B vitamins CAN GIVE YOU ACNE. If you're gonna take one, just make sure you get your zinc supplement without all that evil b vitamin (also FYI don't take a zinc supplement if you're on antibiotics bc it can interfere with absorption!). While you're at it, check your daily multivitamin to see if it has mega doses of B vitamins....i used to take a daily vitamin that had like 500-1000% of various b vitamins and within DAYS of when I finally stopped taking it my skin got considerably better.

Anyways, I'm not sure if b-vitamins have this effect on everyone but they sure as hell do on me and i only wrote this review cause I really wish someone had told me! I do know that UCLA did a recent study that confirmed it with B12, at least, but I know from experience that B6 does it to me too.

on 3/4/2014 10:03:00 PM

I am 33 yrs old and I have very bad cystic acne. It was treated with tetracycline and Accutane when I was a teenager and I had stellar results. To see my acne return at this age is beyond frustrating. However, I refuse to go back on Accutane based on how dangerous of a drug it is. I was so fed up that I did go on Minocycline just to give my skin a break from the painful cystic bumps and eventual deep scarring. I literally cry because it hurts so bad. I recently have been trying to follow a vegan diet, which, from lots of research, is a diet that leaches zinc from your body. As well, I blame hormones for my breakouts, despite being on birth control continuously and never taking the placebo pills so that I skip having my period (all under my Dr.'s supervision, of course). Anyway, I found this excellent article that has explained exactly what I believe I am going through with Zinc deficiency and I am very hopeful that with consistent usage, it will cure my acne once and for all. At the recommendation of my MD I am also taking Vit. A, B and E and Brewer's yeast, spirulina and Zinc monomethionine with copper at 30 mg/day. I am starting this regime just this week but this article has pointed out very important information about taking Zinc with antibiotics and the proper timing of when to take these meds. I hope this article is helpful to some looking for answers. I didn't realize so many people have a Zinc Deficiency so maybe others will find this encouraging. I will update when I see how this all turns out for me in a few months. Here is the article in the meantime...

on 3/29/2010 4:11:00 PM

Wow! This is amazing and cost me $4 for a bottle that will last two months! My 30+ yr. old skin has a really oily T-zone, some red areas, and I get the occasional pimple with more breakouts around my period. I have been taking zinc (50 mg) for two weeks now, one pill a day after my evening meal (you will get sick if you don't take it with food) and I am much less oily and my skin is clearing dramatically! By that I mean the tone and texture is much smoother and more even. The redness is fading and my skin feels firmer. I have not changed anything else in my routine - I wash my face in the morning and at night with a little Dr.Bronners peppermint castille soap and I don't use moisturizer except in the dead of winter. For the first week I did have some kind of purging process around my nose (extra breakouts) but that cleared up quickly and I honestly feel like my skin is glowing and that gives me the kind of confidence you can't put a price tag on!!! Everyone should use this if you have any kind of skin/acne issues - zinc helps your body heal itself and I can see that every time I look in the mirror. You should already be taking a multi-vitamin, definitely add this to your regimen. Just be sure to take it with food or you will have stomach cramps. It is so cheap I challenge anyone to try it for a month and see how much it improves their skin!!!!!!!

on 3/25/2010 5:08:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

THis review is for using zinc topically, ie zinc oxide on acne and other skin issues. This works great on both oily and dry spots. It evens evens out everything, making areas less oily or less dry. It also take the red out of pimples and makes them a lot less angry. I use zinc in a lot of soothing diaper cremes on my face. I love badger diaper cream, it also contains camomile. Very soothing and smells really pretty. Love it. I use it mainly for dry areas and acne. If oily skin, it may not work as well as other zinc products, I don't know.

on 2/1/2010 3:12:00 PM

I've been on Retin A Micro and Differin for years and have gotten maybe 85% clear - which is a major improvement for me. However, it wasn't until I started taking a 50mg a day zinc supplement that I've become 100% CLEAR. As in, no oiliness (my skin is now combination as opposed to oily), no breakouts, fewer blackheads.

The biggest improvement I've seen is in my monthly hormonal breakouts on my chin and cheeks, and also the complete clearing of my cystic acne.

I take 50mg (you can also try 25mg) with a meal - your stomach must adjust to the supplement gradually. I've tried both and did not notice too significant differences between zinc gluconate and chelated zinc but you can try both and see which works better for you!

Bottom line is zinc has changed my complexion in ways no prescription product, OTC topical or any other product has. I would highly urge those with stubborn acne to try it!

Popular Other Products