Filtered by age: 25-29

4.3

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Take these on a full stomach- after breakfast preferably. They can cause extreme nausea on an empty stomach.

I just started taking zinc this week, so I won't touch on its effectiveness yet. However, I feel like I have to comment on some of the concerns from the reviews here...

For everyone freaking out about people "overdosing" on zinc, please do your research- I highly recommend the National Institutes of Health site. Yes, women need about 8mg of zinc per day and yes 40 mg is the tolerable upper limit according to the US, but don't you wonder why all of the zinc at the drug store is 15+mg and the most popular is 25-50mg?? That's because the item pictured is NOT 50mg of elemental zinc (which is what daily value takes into consideration and a blood test would find). It is 50mg of zinc gluconate- which is about 13% elemental zinc by weight, which means 50mg of zinc gluconate (as pictured) is about 6.5mg of elemental zinc. All of the different forms of zinc contain a different amount of elemental zinc. Please stop with the all caps reviews XD

Another great thing to look into if you are considering supplementing zinc is the list of foods that contain zinc to decide how much zinc you are getting on an average day. The highest amounts of zinc are found in oysters, lobsters and crabs. Also worth noting is beef, dark meat chicken, baked beans and pork chops. Per serving, these give 19% of your daily value or higher (Oysters give nearly 500% per serving). On the lower amounts are dairy products milk, certain cheeses, yogurt (however my yogurt has no zinc) and chicken breast which gives a measly 6% of your DV per serving.... All of this info is available on the site I mentioned.

So for me, I can say I'm not getting consistent zinc. I do eat beef, but if I look into extra lean ground beef (as I eat), it does not list any zinc. I eat chicken sometimes, but not usually dark meat. I stopped drinking milk to try to eliminate hormone imbalances. I don't eat seafood, baked beans, or many of the specific cheeses they listed. I would wager there are many days where I don't get any zinc at all and at best maybe I get half my daily intake, but only sometimes.

These are definitely things to consider. Don't be afraid to go to your doctor about your concerns. Another thing to consider is if you have other symptoms of low zinc. Zinc plays a huge role in immune function and inflammatory response. Think inflammation- acne, eczema, psoriasis, respiratory infections, arthritis, etc. It's also linked to difficulty losing weight, weight gain, fatigue, depression and anxiety. I have low thyroid (also inflammation) and it shares many symptoms with zinc deficiency. I also have psoriasis on my scalp and this correlation between low thyroid, psoriasis and zinc is a little interesting!

I will update with how this works for me. Currently I am taking 100mg of zinc gluconate (so about 13mg of elemental zinc). If it helps, I may ease back to just 50mg/6.5mg elemental once hopefully my skin is clear. I am also taking a probiotic supplement and I have a probiotic yogurt every day. I won't update for about a month unless something ground breaking happens. Leaving this at a hopeful 4 lippies for now.

I've always had acne. But zinc changed my life, maybe not only zinc but because I changed my routine in face washing. I changed to carrot soap and use the reparing treatment lotion from proactiv, Ialong with my makeup which is now the revlon colorstay foundation in buff and olive oil from filippo that I use as a makeup remover.and most importantly I started using this supplement. And I'm a 100% clear now thank you God. I dose myself with 6 zinc tabs a day 2 each meal from breakfast to dinner. I no longer breakout and I never get oily skin now. It has only been a week but is do notice a big difference on my skin since it has started getting whiter and less red and the spots seem to miraculously disappear. All I can say is that we always learn from trying, I've tried so much of facials tuff just to remove my acne but did te ealize the simple ones would be the most effective of all. Carrot soap has vit a which helps renew skin and helps as well in anti aging, olive oil helps repair and retain moisture in skin, revlon colorstay doesn't clog pores when I remove it with olive oil, and zinc has the super antioxidant our bodies all need. I'm so thankful to God.really, the greTest thing is that I was able to stop using the pore clogging bb cream I always buy from Japan which has always worsened the condition of my skin thNk God so much for this.

on 10/31/2013 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I thought this could be it when I read all the glowing reviews on here to fix acne. I've been off bc for almost a year now and I feel like a teenager again. It's depressing, and I didn't go on bc for my skin, but it did make it better. I've been taking zinc for 3 months now and my acne went down maybe 20%. It's better than nothing, but it's not my cure. I started off using the food-based New Chapter 15mg - which didn't do anything - then switched to food-based Garden of LIfe 30mg a day. That's when I noticed a slight change. I haven't tried synthetic versions and I don't plan to, since the reason I went off bc was to have a clean lifestyle. I could up my intake of zinc, but the recommended daily value is 15mg (according to The Immune System Cure) so I won't.

on 5/18/2013 3:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm one of those girls who have hormonal acne. I've tried hormonal (birth control) treatment for years and it used to work for me, but in the last year I coudn't stand the side effects of the pills, so I stopped. (I highly recommend all girls [and boys! and whatever] to read about all the trouble birth control pills can make in your life. Yes, I'm talking about trombosis and AVC risks. So, do researches and find out).
My dermatologist tried to make me like benzoyl peroxide. It's ok, but didn't help that much. Other acids didn't solve the problem too. In fact, I never believed that much in topical treatments. If the problem is hormonal, why make so much effort everyday using 897969 gels, creams and lotions? Please.

So I tried Zinc 30 mg. Thank you, internet. Zinc is great! I have 80% less breakouts than I used to have before. Much less cystic acne. My skin looks so better now.
The next step is clearing the dark spots. It's an external problem, so in this case I believe in topical treatment.

Of course I'm still using a good facial cleanser (La Roche Posay Effaclair) and some topical products, like benzoyl peroxide and nicotinamide. I'm drinking a lot of water, too. Drink water, people.

And don't forget: If you want to try Zinc, you must take Cooper too.

on 3/8/2013 2:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure

**UPDATE May 1st 2013
upped my zinc intake to 100-150mg (temporarily) and skin improved DRAMATICALLY. it has been 8 weeks since i've taken zinc and skin has improved immensely. just hyperpigmentation marks that will eventually fade but no crazy breakouts or cystic pimples. tone and texture of skin also looking good (i think, also thanks to the peter thomas roth gentle complexion corrector pads). i highly recommend zinc to everyone-be patient and your patience will pay off.

----------------------

I got off birth control recently (Yasmin.. horrible stuff) and it screwed me up hormonally, leaving me with horrible acne breakouts. I never had any problems with acne, not even in high school (in fact my skin was perfect prior to this) so this is new to me. at first i tried benzac10, finacea, toner for acne prone skin, everything but nothing worked. instead it seemed to get worse, resulting in skin pigmentation. and this all happened within the course of 3 weeks!!!

i researched online and found that i might have acne due to hormonal imbalances and that some people found evening primrose to be helpful. So, last week on friday, i asked my naturopath who worked at the same chemist as i do about evening primrose. She actually recommended me to take a zinc test - if you live in Australia, Ethical Nutrients do a good zinc test - to see if my hormones are the cause of my sudden acne and not something else (she didn't believe evening primrose to do the trick). lo and behold, i had hormone imbalance as the zinc test showed. she got me on a daily dose of zinc, a vitamin B5 B6 (a naturopath/practitioner only range called Metagenics) and told me to test it again in about a month. She also said the vitamin B will work with the zinc to accelerate healing.

it's already been one week since i started taking and i noticed my acne, instead of going cystic and ugly, are quite calm. i stopped breaking out daily (so far i only had 3 new pimples since started taking zinc, but nothing cystic) and my other acne seems to be healing relatively well compared to the previous weeks.

The general tone and texture of my skin seems better too. i also tested my zinc levels today (it's my seventh day on zinc) and according to the chart i am improving slightly. i will test again in about 3 weeks since it takes a while for this supplement to kick in. apparently zinc is also good to heal skin pigmentation.

it's still too early to say, but so far i am quite happy with zinc as far as regulating my hormones. i dont feel that depressed as when i was on the birth control. i feel optimistic that zinc will help my skin in the long run.

please note that i also changed my diet - eating cleaner, salmon 3 times a week, fruit and my doctor prescribed me with docycycline (antibiotics for acne) 2 days after starting on zinc so perhaps that also helped.BUT from my research, i found more positive reviews for zinc that i have for docycyline. After trial and error, i found natural and complementary therapy is heaps better than prescribed medicine as it heals your body naturally with little to no side effects (when monitored by a professional).

so everybody with hormonal acne - i urge you to give zinc a try. but it's not a miracle worker so you have to be patient. and use a zinc test you can buy easily from a pharmacy as that may help u regulate your zinc (too much of it can be toxic). i also bought a copper supplement in case i overdose on zinc. once my hormones regulate i will change my zinc dosage to maintainance level.

What I take now, once a day for my skin:
Ethical Nutrients zinc Fix with 61 mg zinc (22.5mg) elemental zinc, raspberry flavour
Bioceuticals Zinc drops 7.5mg as a 'hit' 1-3 times a day
Vitamin B5B6 from Metagenics
Vitamin D
Evening primrose
Going to start on a copper supplement

Diet:
Salmon at least 3 times a week
cut down on sugar

Skin cleansing routine:
stripped everything down to just Cetaphil wash, Cetaphil moisturizer during the day (toner was drying up my already sensitive skin from the topical creams and gels) and rosehip oil at night

on 12/9/2012 11:33:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other

Initially I was taking a 25mg pill but after 3 days I suffered all the adverse sickness reactions people have warned about despite taking with a meal like everyone has pointed out so I stopped immediately. I must add that I also take a Skin Hair & Nails vit in the mornings which also contains 15mg Zinc so I was getting a total of 40mg daily.

Clearly this was too much for my system to handle, everyone is different so the 50 mg maximum threshold isn't universal. Do your own trial & research to be safe.

I've since swapped it for a lower dosage of 15mg zinc so am now getting a daily intake of 30mg. My system appears to be fine with this so far. Now I must await results and will be back to update. I'm taking this in the hopes that it will curb all breakouts especially the dreaded hormonal induced kind each month.

The reason for this review is that I want to make sure people are doing their research when it comes to zinc dosing for acne. It's true that overdosing on zinc is detrimental, but you would need to be taking more than 100mg of ELEMENTAL Zinc per day for it to be a health risk.

There is a huge difference between the milligrams of 'zinc' in a supplement and the milligrams of 'elemental zinc' in that supplement. Zinc gluconate, for example, has 14% elemental zinc per weight of zinc gluconate. In other words, a 50mg tablet of Zinc gluconate contains only 7 mg of elemental zinc. The minimum recommended dose for effective acne treatment is 30mg of elemental zinc per day, therefore 200 mg of Zinc gluconate would be well within the safe dosage of elemental zinc - and should be effective for acne treatment.

Every type of zinc supplement has a different percentage of elemental zinc so pleeeease do your research - and don't just start taking 200 mg of zinc gluconate because I said so. Look for scientific sources and studies to back this up and/or ask your doctor. Start by looking up Zinc Dosing on WebMD.com - it specifically addresses Zinc for acne.

I hope this helps!

on 10/13/2010 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Without a doubt, this works. I did some research prior to buying a zinc supplement and read that it's important for wound healing and immune system maintenance. I can see an enormous difference in the clarity and tone of my skin since I started taking this. I started out taking this every day for 2 weeks (50mg - chelated zinc), but have now cut back, and take it every 4 days, or whenever I remember. I won't say that my skin is perfect, and I also don't want to overdose on this, so I am a bit careful with taking supplements.

Either way, it's something to try that works!

on 4/26/2010 1:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I've been taking zinc (50mg) everyday for about a week now and it has given me great results so far. My skin is less oily(this really amazed me since my skin gets oily really fast) and i get less breakouts. It also seems to dry out pimples faster.

on 3/22/2010 3:45:00 PM

anyone who suffers from any acne should try taking zinc. i took natures cure for many years but it didnt help as much as i wanted it too- so i took zinc and the next day you can see a difference. i try not to take it everyday so i dont get used to it, but i think it works great! i also eat a lot of carrots! everyday that i eat carrots my skin seems clearer! i hope i dont get jinxed now but everyone should try these easy steps if you have acne.

Popular Other Products