4.4

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Take these on a full stomach- after breakfast preferably. They can cause extreme nausea on an empty stomach.

I just started taking zinc this week, so I won't touch on its effectiveness yet. However, I feel like I have to comment on some of the concerns from the reviews here...

For everyone freaking out about people "overdosing" on zinc, please do your research- I highly recommend the National Institutes of Health site. Yes, women need about 8mg of zinc per day and yes 40 mg is the tolerable upper limit according to the US, but don't you wonder why all of the zinc at the drug store is 15+mg and the most popular is 25-50mg?? That's because the item pictured is NOT 50mg of elemental zinc (which is what daily value takes into consideration and a blood test would find). It is 50mg of zinc gluconate- which is about 13% elemental zinc by weight, which means 50mg of zinc gluconate (as pictured) is about 6.5mg of elemental zinc. All of the different forms of zinc contain a different amount of elemental zinc. Please stop with the all caps reviews XD

Another great thing to look into if you are considering supplementing zinc is the list of foods that contain zinc to decide how much zinc you are getting on an average day. The highest amounts of zinc are found in oysters, lobsters and crabs. Also worth noting is beef, dark meat chicken, baked beans and pork chops. Per serving, these give 19% of your daily value or higher (Oysters give nearly 500% per serving). On the lower amounts are dairy products milk, certain cheeses, yogurt (however my yogurt has no zinc) and chicken breast which gives a measly 6% of your DV per serving.... All of this info is available on the site I mentioned.

So for me, I can say I'm not getting consistent zinc. I do eat beef, but if I look into extra lean ground beef (as I eat), it does not list any zinc. I eat chicken sometimes, but not usually dark meat. I stopped drinking milk to try to eliminate hormone imbalances. I don't eat seafood, baked beans, or many of the specific cheeses they listed. I would wager there are many days where I don't get any zinc at all and at best maybe I get half my daily intake, but only sometimes.

These are definitely things to consider. Don't be afraid to go to your doctor about your concerns. Another thing to consider is if you have other symptoms of low zinc. Zinc plays a huge role in immune function and inflammatory response. Think inflammation- acne, eczema, psoriasis, respiratory infections, arthritis, etc. It's also linked to difficulty losing weight, weight gain, fatigue, depression and anxiety. I have low thyroid (also inflammation) and it shares many symptoms with zinc deficiency. I also have psoriasis on my scalp and this correlation between low thyroid, psoriasis and zinc is a little interesting!

I will update with how this works for me. Currently I am taking 100mg of zinc gluconate (so about 13mg of elemental zinc). If it helps, I may ease back to just 50mg/6.5mg elemental once hopefully my skin is clear. I am also taking a probiotic supplement and I have a probiotic yogurt every day. I won't update for about a month unless something ground breaking happens. Leaving this at a hopeful 4 lippies for now.

on 3/9/2018 6:33:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Update:- (1 month later)

I still got 2-3 cystic pimples after my last review so in terms of prevention I guess this amount of zinc couldn't do much. That being said, 2-3 is still bearable compared to the crazy flare up i had, and the cysts went down faster on zinc.

On zinc alone, my closed comedone clusters are taking more time to go away though, but they're a lot calmer than the initial flare up. I must mention that these clusters on my jawline came about due to irritation and dryness from prolonged use of spot treatment gel with 3% salicylic acid on that area :/. So my experience is that zinc works better on cystic type/hormonal acne rather than acne caused by skin irritation. I am using aloe Vera gel (from the plant) for those areas to help speed up the healing.

On a side note I noticed my fingernails were much shinier and healthier looking!

___________________________

I've been taking zinc (15mg) for nearly 2 weeks now and it has made such an improvement on my skin. At the time that I started, I had 3 huge cysts on my chin that hurt even when I washed my face, and they have all reduced considerably in size within a week, compared to the 3-4 weeks that cystic acne usually last on my chin. Clusters of closed comedones along my jawline are also improving a lot,and I have not had any new pimples so far. This is great from someone who has suffered breakouts since I was a teenager!

While desperately researching for acne remedies recently I read about the connection between zinc deficiency and hormonal acne ,which is apparently common in vegetarians and vegans. Since I was a kid I hardly ate meat, and put two and two together and decided to give it a try. I wish I found this out sooner, it could have saved me 6 months being on doxycycline in my teens and then suffering the vengeance of angrier cysts much later when I went off them. Also could have saved me from all the redness and irritation from constant application of harsh topical ointments that weren't as effective as they claimed to be!

I took the zinc after dinner so thankfully did not experience nausea or stomach upset, but it did make me super hungry the day after. Hopefully my skin will continue to improve and I'll probably take vitamin e to help with the pigmentation and scarring. Worth a try!

on 5/22/2017 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Note: VERY IMPORTANT to take Zinc tablet on a full stomach, like a piece of bread or something substantial to avoid extreme nausea and barfing. NOT just liquid like tea or coffee. I learned this the hard way. Needless to say. I won't forget again.

-----

Two years ago my doctor recommended that I take B12 and D supplements. At the time, I was relatively clear skinned. I am NC 30-35 , Asian olive combination skin, now tending towards dry, with an oily T zone. (Years before, I had been on Retin A Micro (Avila/ tretinoin), differin/ aldapene and glycolics, then some ill advised dermatological laser which left me with dark spots). I am prone to recurrent milia (even after extraction) and hives.

After Taking B12, I've had some persistent outbreaks, nothing major, but agggravating since I spend a lot of effort on my skin. Read that B12 may contribute to outbreaks, and that zinc, taken orally (best bioavailabilty being picolinate or chelated) could help. Since 15mg is the recommended daily allowance, I decided to take solgar zinc picolinate 22 mg and omit the B12. My skin has improved. I really wish I had read about this sooner! Note: the review of MsVengeance below was helpful Re B6 also causing some skin issues for her. Reviewer Koalion takes zinc plus B supplements to good effect, so YMMV as to the B.

I do use a niacinamide serum (which is B3) and alternate between a regimen of OTC retinol plus hydroqunone or OTC AHA/BHA a few nights weekly. Am pretty sure that it is not only stopping the B12 that has gotten my skin back, since it's better than before. Only other recent change (in the past few weeks) is the Zinc. No purging or other issues, but I don't purge much even with retinol.

Note: I did read that next to zinc, selenium is supposed to be great for skin, but I'm going to wait a while before adding something else.

on 5/7/2017 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I have been taking these for a while off an on over the years to mainly to reduce oil production on my face and for immunity support.

Then I had a copper IUD in Oct 2015, 4 months later my skin just exploded in acne and my anxiety / depression progressively was getting worse. Nothing drastic just a steady decline into a mess. My skins change could be attributed to new products I was using, hormonal surges, stress that sort of thing.

Then I read of a woman who had a copper IUD and then proceeded to have acne issues not touched by topicals nor internal medicines since insertion. She had a zinc serum test done and her levels were low. She took supplements and adjusted her diet, under medical supervision and her blood zinc serum levels became normal.

This mystery woman had the best case situation within the medical establishment. I live in the UK, without the funds to get private blood tests done. My GP was dismissive of the copper / zinc in-balance from such a tiny amount of copper. I made a deal to find some convincing studies and couldn't find any gold standard randomised controlled trials directly linking copper iud's and zinc depletion. Grrrr.

Anyway I went off and looked up copper toxicity and trying to balance this out blind. I do not recommend it. At all. I do not take more than the recommended daily allowance and I still take a low form of copper that is in a multi vitamin and mineral supplement. All I can say is my skin has been able to respond to my treatments, reduction of hyper pigmentation dark spot life and less likely to pick up a cold. My anxiety depression has lessened, not totally gone but I think the zinc depletion aspect to it is addressed by supplementing. I know this by taking a 3 months worth then forgetting to restock for a month and certain symptoms were becoming magnified again. I have been back on them for 6 wks and yeah I "feel" better. How is that for science??

If you can get a blood test, either for copper toxicity levels or for serum zinc levels, as both work in tandem, would be best. If copper is too high then zinc will be low, both minerals are essential to our being only if they are balanced. Ummm yeah

on 12/24/2016 9:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

So Iike many other people on this forum, I've had an interesting (read: frustrating) skin experience. I had mild acne when I was around 13, so I started Proactiv and I swear to god my life was like one of their damn commercials. My skin was gorgeous, luminous, and totally problem-free - even if I occasionally slept in my makeup. I didn't worry about my diet or irritation from makeup, and people would regularly compliment my complexion.

Enter my 18th birthday and my Freshman year of college....almost overnight my face erupted with widespread, painful cystic acne that would NOT go away. At first I assumed it was some sort of weird, delayed hormonal reaction so I decided to wait it out. After a couple of months, I began trying new skin products, including prescription-grade topical medication like Retin-A, Differin, etc. These only dried out my skin, and my breakouts (I feel like a more dramatic word is necessary, though) proceeded to become worse. Finally, after about 6-7 months my doctor put me on birth control (Ortho Tri-Cyclin). Fast forward another 9 months of trying different brands and my skin was notably improved, but not perfect. That was fine with me.

For about 5 years, I was on birth control and I continued to have hormonal breakouts around my period, but things were much more under control. Then, I moved overseas and my birth control was not available so I decided to hedge my bets and try going off it. And it worked! For about two months, my skin actually improved! I also found, just as an aside, that I lost about 12lbs, my mood was much better and my period had returned fairly quickly. Woo hoo!

But 3 months after I went off it I needed to take Plan B, which was a DISASTER for my skin. about 3 days after I took it, I once again erupted in hormonal, inflamed cystic acne. I waited to see if it would clear up on its own after my body processed that huge surge of hormones, but things were not improving. The only thing that seemed to be helping at all with the pain and inflammation was Ibuprofen, but we definitely should not be taking NSAIDs long-term, amirite? My doctor wanted me to go back on birth control, but I had really had enough at this point of hormone treatment. I did some research online and decided to try 50mg of zinc supplements (did you know that most people with acne are zinc deficient?), along with cod liver oil capsules (the recommended daily dose on the bottle).

HOLY CRAP THIS STUFF IS AMAZING. Within 36hours of taking the zinc and cod liver oil, the cysts were noticeably less inflamed and I had developed no new ones. It has now been about 5 days since I began the supplements and my acne is almost gone, my skin is well-hydrated, and I have experienced no side effects. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it's been less than a week, and I want to make sure that no side effects pop up. Seriously though, I would highly recommend it for anyone feeling hopeless about their skin and fed up with hormonal and topical treatments. If you want to confirm that you're Zinc deficient (which might be a good idea, considering that it can build up in your body and become toxic), you can ask your doctor to run a blood test. You can also get zinc from foods and I would obviously advocate for a healthy diet, but supplements might be a good option for people who need an extra boost during breakouts. Good luck, everyone!

on 8/8/2016 1:02:00 PM

Hi everyone! I have been lurking on these boards for a while now trying to find my almighty cure and I have finally found it thanks to you guys! Ever since I switched my birth control a few months ago , my skin has gone haywire. I wouldn't say its HORRIBLE, but moderate acne feels horrible to me. I do the oil cleansing method with coconut oil and take zinc which manages it but I still get bumps here and there and it sucks and took a toll on my self esteem.

I read all over that other vitamins can help cure you from the inside. I had nothing else to loose so I thought I might as well try. I bought some NOW brand Vitamin A 25,000 IU tablets, some SPROUTS brand Vitamin E 400 IU and take it with my zinc 50 mg tablets.I take one each after I eat my breakfast. LET ME TELL YOU.... I HAVE NOT HAD ONE BUMP SINCE TAKING THESE!!!!! I am in complete shock! This along side with my habits of drinking lots of water has cleared my skin! So PLEASE, if you are feeling sad and fed up with your skin, just try it you have nothing to loose! :D

PS zinc alone helped a little but with all of these, im CLEAR

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I was going through some old stuff this morning and throwing out all these old supplements (apparently, over the years I have collected TONS) and came across a couple old bottles of Zinc and Optizinc. I used to suffer from chronic cystic/nodular acne. Anyone whose ever suffered chronically from this kind of acne will inevitably go on the internet in search of help and eventually, they will discover that zinc is like, THE supplement to take.

Unfortunately, zinc would always work for the first few days I took it and then BAM, it always seemed as if it slowly worsened my acne! But what the hell?! It seemed to me that everybody in internetland was always raving about how great zinc was as a "cure" for acne--there are even scientific studies to back it up, right? Surely it was just in my head that it was making my acne worse...but I tried to take zinc several times over the years with the same horrible results every time.

I have since learned that THE PROBLEM WITH TAKING SOME ZINC SUPPLEMENTS can be that a lot of zinc supplements come with a mega dose of B vitamins (B6) and no joke, taking too much B vitamins CAN GIVE YOU ACNE. If you're gonna take one, just make sure you get your zinc supplement without all that evil b vitamin (also FYI don't take a zinc supplement if you're on antibiotics bc it can interfere with absorption!). While you're at it, check your daily multivitamin to see if it has mega doses of B vitamins....i used to take a daily vitamin that had like 500-1000% of various b vitamins and within DAYS of when I finally stopped taking it my skin got considerably better.

Anyways, I'm not sure if b-vitamins have this effect on everyone but they sure as hell do on me and i only wrote this review cause I really wish someone had told me! I do know that UCLA did a recent study that confirmed it with B12, at least, but I know from experience that B6 does it to me too.

on 5/25/2015 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have successfully used Zinc to treat a couple of different skin issues. I have also noticed an interesting side effect, my skin has actually improved greatly since I started this supplement. Which was to combat PD.
I take 25 MG of Zinc every day that I got at Walmart. I also topically would apply a highly concentrated cream that has 40% Zinc Oxide. It's actually butt cream for babies, but it does have a higher concentration and I can find it easily.
Periorificial Dermatitis, for those who know what this is, I'm sorry, and for those of you who don't know - consider yourself lucky. I actually was only recently officially diagnosed after years of wondering. There would sometimes be years between flareups of this condition, and I attributed it to sensitive skin.
Anyhow back to the Zinc. I used only two main things to clear up a particularly nasty recent flareup, Zinc supplement/cream and probiotics called Acidophilus Lactobacillus. It'd been years since my last saga with this, I had forgotten how bad it was.
The flareup is gone, I still take zinc every day because of the obvious skin benefits and occasionally I will use the cream on any type of bump on my face. My skin is clear, color is good and my overall complexion just looks much healthier than before I began. I also I'm using an organic sunscreen with Zinc 10% in it as well and it's just wonderful.

* I should mention that I wash using the OCM, and tried violet extract. I don't think the e tract did anything. < with regard to the PD.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Okay, so I've suffered from acne for a good 9-10 years now. I am a 20-year-old female and I live in a humid, tropical country. I mostly get consistent, moderate acne and maybe one or two minor cysts before my period. The worst part about my acne is how consistent it is: no sooner do I get rid of one pimple does another one appear, either in the same or different part of my face. When I started getting treatment, at the age of 15, my acne looked like this:
- Thousands of large clogged pores on my forehead and nose, and a couple of inflamed pimples every month
- Consistent moderate inflamed pimples / one-two minor cysts on cheeks

And here is my treatment story, in chronological order:

1) Initially, I was put on doxycycline, tretinoin and BP for a few months. This worked very well and I was clear but the moment I went off the Doxy, the acne came back with a vengeance. In my teenage folly, I also slathered on way too much of the tretinoin and BP and that dried out my skin, making my skin flaky and gross on top of acne-prone.

2) Tretinoin and BP for 4-5 years and non-comedogenic makeup. This did not make my acne any worse, but certainly didn't make it any better. In any case I was going through my hormonal teenage years and because the derm said this was hormonal acne, we opted to wait it out instead of starting on birth control, and I did not want to do Accutane because of the possible side effects.

3) Another course of Doxy at the age of 19 (last year), along with the tretinoin and BP. Again, this was great in the short term, did zilch in the long run.

4) After I finished the doxy and was back on tretinoin and BP, I began wondering why exactly my skin had yet to clear up. I was still suffering hormonal outbreaks at an age where most other girls had gotten over the hyper-hormonal swings of the teenage years. So for the past year or so I began experimenting with other treatments in an effort to find and treat the root cause of my skin problems.

5) Firstly, I added a non-comedogenic mosturizer. This definitely helped a lot in improving the texture of my skin but did nothing for the acne. that meant that my acne was not just caused by dry skin clogging my pores.

6) Secondly, I visited a better dermatologist that basically told me to stop slathering on the tretinoin and BP, and to use very little of the tretinoin every other night, and I started using a well-formulated sunscreen with no irritating ingredients. Again, this did a lot for the texture and overall health of my skin but not much for the acne itself.

Now, I happened to read on the internet that vegetarians tend to be deficient in zinc, and that zinc deficiency may cause acne. And I am vegetarian so I figured I'd order some supplements off the internet and see what happens. I've been taking 30mg zinc (Now Foods - L-Optizinc) for 3 days and these are the first three days I can remmber in a LONG TIME that I have NOT had ANY new pimples. This is an incredible milestone for me. This has not happened to me for a decade. My skin also looks a lot healthier and a lot less inflamed. Could this be my magic bullet? I realize it has only been 3 days (hence 3 lippies not 5 because I'm not sure about long term) but I'm having a good feeling about this, especially because my period is due in a few days and this time of the year is usually when the nasty cysts hit. I'm going to continue the 30mg Optizinc for 2-3 months to confirm that it is indeed the zinc that is helping, and that this is not just the placebo effect. After that, I plan to cut down to 15mg of Zinc Picolinate (can't get Optizinc in 15mg forms for whatever reason) and hopefully use that as a maintenance dose . I am so glad this seems to be working and I hope my review was helpful to you. I will edit my review as the days go by so we'll see what happens.

EDITS:
1) Day 4: 2-3 very small, inflamed pimples. Much, much smaller than normal. Took 60mg instead of 30mg to see if that'll help. Stomach feels a little funky so hope that works out!

19 Oct 2014: I have been taking this for about a month now. It has NOT been helping! Read my log on my Notepad for the full story. Long story short, swapping this out for 15mg Zinc Picolinate. Will update to see if that works.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am 41 with acne prone skin. I have had breakouts since I was a teenager. I have visited dermatologists, and tried just about every topical product available.

I researched natural ways to prevent acne/breakouts and zinc quickly rose to the top of my list of supplements to try. I can honestly say, after using zinc for about 2 weeks, my skin is clearer than it has been in years.

Every evening I take 30 mg of zinc picolinate. I don't take more than the recommended dosage as some suggest. The brand that I bought is a generic store brand, and it is in the form of a capsule that contains a gelatin capsule, cellulose, and magnesium stearate.

I plan to continue using this supplement. It is working for me, and if you have suffered with breakouts, I highly recommend giving this product a try!

Popular Other Products