Bobbi Brown Caviar Ink

Caviar Bobbi Brown LinerBobbi Brown Gel Ink Liner

4.4

on 10/23/2011 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

There is something about this product that I think I'm missing out on.
My partner recently took me out for our anniversary the other night, and all I wanted to do was look beautiful.
I had no eyeshadows on, I only had Bobbie Brown Gel Liner in Caviar Ink and YSL Faux Cils mascara as my eye makeup.
This flaked like crazy! I was soo disappointed. The content in my jar was rather dry, it didn't apply as great as I hoped for. I remember I had to dig my brush in the jar just for some product.
I knew the flaking was not from my mascara, I used my mascara religiously and never had that problem.
To me this can never compare to my MAC Fluidline, and seriously I hate Napoleon Perdis product soo much but, I'm not hesitant to say that even the Napoleon Perdis China Doll Liner is much better then this when it was still usuable(Napoleon Perdis China Doll Liner starts off great and then the content dries up later, but this is dry from day one).
I feel as though I'm missing out on something with Bobbi Brown, I've made 2 purchase from Bobbi Brown and both are horrific, and to top things off its expensive.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I bought this because of the reviews in search of a non smudging or transferring gel-liner. Sadly I have to report that it does smudge and transfer in a bad way. Especially when I wear a cat-flick. It's also hard to get a solid opaque line in one go and goes on grainy and blotchy.
I tried this with a very fine tip and a slant tip liner brush. Very disappointing!

I hate this color. I wish I never bought it. I have brown eyes and fair skin and it tends to look a little bit blue. I'd read that it comes out espresso-ish, which it definitely does not. It looks obvious and I prefer a more pulled together eye look. Interested in trying this formulation in another color, but really should've steered clear of this color. Will give it to my blonde/blue eyed friend as I feel like it's a color for girls with more Nordic coloring!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I wore this years ago, and quit when I had some eye troubles. Last week, I went to the BB counter & the MUA did my MU. She used the Caviar Ink after I told her that I really didn't have much against the e/l. It was fun, but afterwards, my eyes were red, irritated, & itchy. They watered during the whole rest of the shopping trip. I was so happy to shower and be rid of the eye makeup when I got home! It was this eyeliner. It did look nice on, with a dark pigment and smooth application. Very dramatic as she used it it a tightline fashion. I will not buy it though since it made my eyes water.

on 6/8/2013 9:58:00 PM

This gel liner offers the exact brownish black color that I was looking for! I used to have to mix Clinique's true black and deep brown to get this look, and I am so glad that I found this based on the reviews here! It also goes on so smoothly, compared to the cream liner from Clinique, which is also smooth, but I feel for this BB gel liner, a little is enough to do the work. I am very happy with it!

Update: I have to say with mixed feeing that, although the color is pretty, this gel almost completely dries out before I used 1/3 of the pot...I tried different methods to revive it and it doesn't work...I hope they made it to last longer.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Where do I begin... I heard so many good raves about this gel liner and since I had a Sephora gift card, I figure I would splurge on this bestseller item. First off, I have oily lids and I don't prime my lids unless I am wearing eyeshadow. Normally, I am an eyeliner gal and maybe some mascara. I chose caviar ink because I didn't want a stark black color but instead, I wanted a softer and muted black. This color does deliver that. I can wear this during the day and the color is great. Not too bold at all. The texture is very smooth and creamy. I use my small eyeliner brush with a flat top and it applies effortlessly. I usually like to tightline too. Well, here is where my troubles began. I put this on at 7am and by noon, I could see smudges near the corner of my eyes. Not a good look. Also, I find that the gel liner will begin to smudge off on my lashes which then smudges onto my bottom lashes. Overall, I have smudges everywhere. Not like raccoon eyes but it is noticeable. Also, color has faded some as well. Not too thrilled or impressed. My pot did not dry up like some other reviewers mentioned. But I have been capping it tightly and storing it into the original box. I love the texture but despise the performance. It's not cheap either. I think I'm going back to my liquid liners. Perhaps if you don't have oily lids, this may work. Overall, I will save this for special nights.

I think its ok. It stays on throughout the day but if I do a lot of activity or sweat a little, it doesn't stay on very well. I had really high expectations after reading all the reviews and paying all that money and I was kind of disappointed. Perhaps I should try I primer underneath it but I don't think it is worth $21. I recently bought the Maybelline gel liner and it seems to work just as well, if not better. I've had my BB for about 5 months and was using it everyday but now I've started using my Mayebelline. I will probably finish my BB though so I don't feel like I wasted $ but again, Maybelline is just as good for a much cheaper price!

on 10/29/2010 9:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I purchased Caviar based on MUA reviews. I already own a couple BB gel liners, so I had high expectations and high hopes. Shortly after Caviar arrived, I dipped my brush into the gel and tightlined the top lid; then I used what remained on the brush to tightline my bottom lids -- just at the lash line, keeping off the waterline and away from my tear ducts. My first impression was Yuck. What a boring and weird dark brown.

I don't look great in brown liners (Mahogany Ink is an exception) because many of them contain too much warmth. Caviar seemed quite unexciting, similar to brewed French Roast coffee grounds or even like the black pine mulch in my gardens. But then I caught sight of myself in a mirror and thought how great my eyes looked. Not how great my makeup looked (which is what I think when I see my reflection wearing Indigo Ink), but how bright and alert and shiny and wide open my eyes appeared, and how perfect and dark and defined were my lashes, even when I wasn't wearing mascara.

Looking at the color again, I see your basic brownish-black mascara, which is the color I wear on a daily basis. Caviar seems like it would be great on fair-skinned, cool-toned ladies, as it provides nice contouring without looking harsh, but I see no reason why it would not work on all skin and eye colors. Caviar is a definite keeper.

on 12/4/2016 8:00:00 AM

This is my go-to liner if I don't want a definite black line. It goes well with various different colors of eyeshadow and doesn't smudge. I wish it could be little cheaper

on 10/23/2013 4:39:00 PM

Finally got my hands on this because I was being cheap and didn't want to fork over money to pay the full price of $23. Honestly, it isn't worth the money. Gel liners are very easy to use; goes on smooth and acurrate. But they dry up. I read a lot of reviews before I made the move from liquid to gel eyeliner. Gel eyeliners will last for a long time, I still have my first one from 2 years ago (thinking about throwing it out incase of germs and such since you can't sanitize gel). But ALL gel eyeliners will dry up.

Outside of that, i love this color. A soft black and def less intense than the black liners on the market.