Nubian Heritage African Black Soap

Nubian Heritage African Black Soap

4.2

African black soap base, African shea butter, oats, aloe, plantain extract, vitamin E, essential oil blend, vegetable glycerin, palm ash, rosemary extract, iron oxides.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

For soooo many years I tried all sorts of different face washes in an attempt to combat acne. Nothing ever really made a marked difference, even products that I stuck with for a good while. I started reading reviews for this soap, then found it one day at a local health food store & decided to pick it up. That was one of the best decisions I've ever made for my skin.

Before this soap, I'd label myself as "acne-prone". Now, when I do break out it's just one pimple that clears up on it's own relatively soon, instead of several severe, stubborn, huge ones all over my face. My skin isn't oily or dry... it's in between. Lots of people seem to find this product to be somewhat drying. That's not the case for me but I'd still recommend moisturizing skin after use just to replenish what's being stripped away by this deep cleansing soap.

The scent of this is slightly reminiscent of artificial banana. I can't quite put my finger on it. At first I was a little turned off by the smell. It wasn't what I expected & I wasn't used to it, but now I've grown quite fond of the fragrance. There are oats embedded in this bar of soap. I think maybe they're there for exfoliation purposes if you use this on your body? It doesn't bother me at all but I could see some people not liking that.

If you struggle with acne I highly recommend trying this stuff. If it doesn't work for you, you can always still use it on your body or to wash your hands. I've been through 4 bars since I started using it last year & will continue to repurchase as long as it continues to agree so beautifully with my skin.

This is literally the only product/cleanser that has helped control my breakouts and cleared my skin. I'm forever grateful that I discovered this product. I have combination/oily skin. Before using this product, i used to break out quite frequently. I tried everything from Proactiv to oral antibiotics but all had short term results with negative long term effects. I was fed up and wanted to try something more natural without all the harsh chemicals. And then, I discovered African black soap. My skin doesn't break out any more (unless its that time of the month!). But other than that, I have seen a massive improvement. This is my holy grail cleanser and I don't think I'll ever stop using it. It also super cheap and lasts very long.

I recommend this product for oily/combination/acne-prone skin. It is a little drying so I would NOT recommend it to those with dry skin. Moisturize your skin liberally after use!

TIP: I cut the bar of soap into little pieces and store it in a small container for easier application each time.

To Read all 76 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/7/2016 6:29:00 PM

I found this product on Amazon (it was not a reseller) and I love it. It feels great to know that you're putting organic and natural products on your face. This is cruelty-free, too!

It does a great job at cleaning and nourishing my skin. I like to use this with my Spin for clear skin by Vanity Planet. As a person with acne prone skin, this has kept my skin clean but I have never received any dramatic results using this soap.

The packaging is rather unconvenient but I put it in a little plastic box that I daily clean with water. The price of this product is amazing, though: I got two soap bars that are probably going to last me very long forever for only €8

Yup,love this!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I highly recommend this for those struggling with acne. Combined with a toner and moisturizer this soap completely cleared up my cystic acne that wouldn't go away no matter how many face washes I tried. I've gone through at least four bars of this stuff and will continue repurchasing forever.

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

So I know this isn't raw/real african black soap (because that stuff isn't black and usually comes in a block) but that doesn't mean this product doesn't work for me. I've been using black soap consistently for about 7 months now and think it really has brightened up my hyperpigmentation. It gives me a very fresh look when I wash in the morning. I would say give the product a good month to see noticeable results, but I have had days where I swear I looked better by the next morning.

BUT you must put a moisturizer on afterwards. This soap is quite drying. I'm hoping by next May, with a combination of a few other products, my PIH will be nonexsistant.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I had really high hopes for this. I used it for a little over 2 weeks and stopped. Although it did clear up the majority of my inflamed acne, i looked at my face in the sunlight and noticed so many clogged pores and little bumps. I think it was the coconut oil. Also, whenever i would wash with it at the sink, it left a residue and sometimes small chunks of it would flake off into my sink and shower.. but i still love this soap because it smells AMAZING, like bananas, and i can still use it on my body so no harm done. It seems that it helps a lot of people with acne but i would be careful if you are clog prone because coconut oil can do that.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I purchased this soap while seeking a natural face wash that would help with breakouts and acne scarring.

I have been using this for about a month now and am happy with it.

The price was around $4 for one bar at my local Sprouts which is a local natural whole foods supermarket. Considering that I am using it as a facial cleanser and most are either around this price point or higher, I consider it to be fine.

The packaging... well, it's soap. You just take it out of the box and throw it away. The packaging isn't exactly spectacular but what can you expect? It does the job which is keep the soap safe until you take it out of the box and put it in your shower.

Okay now on to the good stuff... yes this soap is BLACK. It lathers black and everything. This doesn't bother me whatsoever. It leaves no dark cast on the skin. One thing about this soap that I wasn't really expecting is there are large pieces of oat all throughout the bar of soap. I don't rub the soap directly on my face for that reason (in theory it sounds like it could be exfoliating, but too harsh on the face, for me.) So I just lather some up in my hands and apply like that.

The scent... it's not what I was expecting. If you are very sensitive to earthy/natural scents then you won't like this. If you look at the ingredients and see the essential oils and stuff in it... that's essentially what this soap smells like. If I had to pinpoint a particular fragrance I'd say that it vaguely resembles banana (possibly from the plantain extract?) but not really.

Ingredients: African Black Soap Base, Shea butter, Oats, Aloe, Plantain Extract, Vitamin E, Essential Oil Blend, Vegetable Glycerin, Palm Ash, Rosemary Extract, Iron Oxides.

I must say, my skin has cleared up. It didn't happen right away, but I was getting those types of pimples that just explode onto your mirror whenever you squeeze them. I would have multiple ones at a time. Now, I have none of those and any blemishes that do appear are very mild. I have not yet noticed any difference in my acne scarring but I truly do feel that using this soap has a better chance of diminishing their appearance than any facial cleanser on the market that is loaded with chemicals, etc, and nothing truly good for your skin.

Finally, I HAVE used this on my body once or twice. It works. Leaves you squeaky clean and smelling good.

on 8/3/2015 12:46:00 PM

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Medium

Not a fan. First, I guess I didn't realize that it was BLACK - the lather, the residue, everything. I hated that I had black traces in my tub and soap dish. Second, I couldn't stand the way it smells. I realize this is subjective, but it really was very unappealing to me and left me with a headache. And the over-powering scent lingered in my bathroom. I just couldn't get past it. I would not use this again.

on 4/5/2015 12:52:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I love this soap so much. It smells so good and it makes my skin feel so clean and smooth. I don't use this on my face as it can be slightly drying for it. But I just love how it lathers and I love how it rinses black. Very detoxifying and helps with my back acne. Love

on 12/14/2014 7:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I use this product every morning. And have seen such improvement on my combination/ acne prone skin. It is drying for me, but I just make sure to put moisterizer on.

Overall, I cant live without this stuff. And it only cost like 3$ CAN on IHerb.