Nubian Heritage African Black Soap

Nubian Heritage African Black Soap
African Black SoapAfrican Black Soap

African black soap base, African shea butter, oats, aloe, plantain extract, vitamin E, essential oil blend, vegetable glycerin, palm ash, rosemary extract, iron oxides.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used this years ago before my skin became more sensitive after Accutane. It worked fine, I even used it on my face occasionally (even though you shouldn't use soap on your face). Now it gives me contact dermatitis, particularly in the space under my armpits. It's just too abrasive for me. I still use it to clean my makeup brushes, though.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

So I read a lot of reviews here of people who had a lot of issues with the product. I will say this isn't your every day product, moreso like once or twice a week. I would use this if I am doing a hydrating facial immediately after. The product has a clarifying effect so it will strip off everything. I love this for my whole body including to wash my hair with since I have a buzz cut. I love how it foams up so lavishly and just gets the job done.

on 1/27/2018 5:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I decided to try this soap out hoping it would cure my mild / cystic acne.
Skin type: oily T-zone at times, dry/very dry everywhere else

Pros -
Nice smell
Very affordable

Cons -
Dry, tight feeling after use
had opposite affect on acne, ended up making it worse and even giving me roscea which has never happened before
Didn't help with pigmentation
Personally a bit hard to use and store as its a soap bar
extremely dirty and unhygenic as bars of soap tend to attract a lot of bacteria
Pieces in the soap are a bit sharp and rough, can make small cuts and tears in skin.
Way too dark in color, meaning preservatives + extra colours, normally black soaps are brown-darkbrown in color as the products its made of arent black.

on 10/11/2017 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE I TRIED USING THIS AFTER 2 DAYS IM SAYING OKAY ITS CURING MY OILY SKIN BOY WAS I WRONG IT MADE MY ACNE WORSE LIKE BIG BUMPS ON MY FOREHEAD GREAT PRICE BUT AWFUL PRODUCT

on 9/18/2017 9:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I bought this off iherb.com for $5, plus extra shipping, with goals to clear my moderate acne/hyperpigmentation many months back. I'd seen generous amounts of great reviews on Youtube and everywhere so I decided that I might as well give it a try as it's affordable

Skin type: oily

Pros -
Nice smell
Very affordable

Cons -
Dry, tight feeling after use
Didn't clear any acne instead broke me out a bit
Didn't help with pigmentation
Personally a bit hard to use and store as its a soap bar
Pieces in the soap are a bit sharp and rough (the oats, I'm guessing?)

I'm not African-American but I was also recommended this and it was still worth a try. I didn't see it helping my skin, however I continued to use it for a couple of weeks, even tried it with bacne or a spin brush for deeper cleansing but still didn't see any results. It's actually been in my cupboard for months not being used. So honestly and unfortunately it didn't work for my skin. Not everything works for everyone. But there's many great reviews on this and I'm sure it may help with some other people's skin massively. Won't be buying again, but could be worth a try for you.

on 5/8/2017 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

If you have acne, just try this soap. If it doesn't do anything for your breakouts, you can use it up on your body. I've been using it for almost two years and in conjunction with an alcohol-free toner my skin went from very breakout prone to only somewhat breakout prone. I can usually get a bar for around $4 dollars and sometimes I can find it on BOGO sale. I find that this product can make my skin feel kind of tight (squeaky clean) so I always moisturize after cleansing my face with it.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I'm not sure if this is the exact brand I want to review but this sounded similar enough. My mother bought African black soap in a deal on Groupon when it was very popular. She's not a huge fan of it so I am currently using what's left of it since I like it a lot. It's very cocoa butter smelling and is a nice creamy texture. I am not personally African American, I'm white with 1/8 Native American blood but I rather like African black soap and know it can be used by multiple skin tones and types. It seems to heal my eczema and acne I get very well and seems very moisturizing. Would definitely buy again!

on 8/16/2016 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Pros: Very affordable, cleared pimples, made my skin look matte(which I love because I have oily skin), resolved discoloration on my cheeks

Cons: Very tight feeling and drying (so dry to normal skin people, not recommended to try ) and smell might be outputting to some.

Where to buy: Singaporeans, I got this on iHerb.com. Not sure if you can find any selling in stores here.

This is literally the only product/cleanser that has helped control my breakouts and cleared my skin. I'm forever grateful that I discovered this product. I have combination/oily skin. Before using this product, i used to break out quite frequently. I tried everything from Proactiv to oral antibiotics but all had short term results with negative long term effects. I was fed up and wanted to try something more natural without all the harsh chemicals. And then, I discovered African black soap. My skin doesn't break out any more (unless its that time of the month!). But other than that, I have seen a massive improvement. This is my holy grail cleanser and I don't think I'll ever stop using it. It also super cheap and lasts very long.

I recommend this product for oily/combination/acne-prone skin. It is a little drying so I would NOT recommend it to those with dry skin. Moisturize your skin liberally after use!

TIP: I cut the bar of soap into little pieces and store it in a small container for easier application each time.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

For soooo many years I tried all sorts of different face washes in an attempt to combat acne. Nothing ever really made a marked difference, even products that I stuck with for a good while. I started reading reviews for this soap, then found it one day at a local health food store & decided to pick it up. That was one of the best decisions I've ever made for my skin.

Before this soap, I'd label myself as "acne-prone". Now, when I do break out it's just one pimple that clears up on it's own relatively soon, instead of several severe, stubborn, huge ones all over my face. My skin isn't oily or dry... it's in between. Lots of people seem to find this product to be somewhat drying. That's not the case for me but I'd still recommend moisturizing skin after use just to replenish what's being stripped away by this deep cleansing soap.

The scent of this is slightly reminiscent of artificial banana. I can't quite put my finger on it. At first I was a little turned off by the smell. It wasn't what I expected & I wasn't used to it, but now I've grown quite fond of the fragrance. There are oats embedded in this bar of soap. I think maybe they're there for exfoliation purposes if you use this on your body? It doesn't bother me at all but I could see some people not liking that.

If you struggle with acne I highly recommend trying this stuff. If it doesn't work for you, you can always still use it on your body or to wash your hands. I've been through 4 bars since I started using it last year & will continue to repurchase as long as it continues to agree so beautifully with my skin.