Clairol Natural Instincts in 36 Midnight - Neutral Black

No Image

4.5

This is my go to for between Level 3 colors. My hair always feels amazing after this. It's really damaged and has gotten quite long over the last year. Since you use this in damp hair one box does cover my past the shoulders length, and doesn't damage as much as a perm color. Can't hate this product, and it's budget friendly at Walmart. Doesn't smell horrible either. I miss the old Loving Care, but this is a good replacement for it. And 10 minutes is awesome too.

on 5/19/2016 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm on an amateur salsa team, and the summer performance season is kicking up so I wanted to do have a bolder look with more contrast for stage lighting, but not drastic: think adding the "X-Pro II" filter to real life.

I'd already applied some sunless tanner since my skin is pale/olive toned, and wanted to bring my (natural) deep espresso hair color to an even darker shade. I've been going back and forth on buying a black henna dye online but walking through the grocery store made this an impulse buy...bonus points for it being ammonia-free.

I was initially worried that something natural, that only sets for 10min, wouldn't create a noticeable color but the following day I had friends compliment the sneaky change. I'm extremely pleased with the tone as well, as I wanted to avoid strong blue/red blacks. In the sunlight, the sheen is very neutral, with only a bit of my natural warm tone coming through. I have very thick, layered hair almost 1/3 way down my back and there was plenty of product (when paying attention to spread it with a comb as it was applied). There was no chemical smell in the dye, and the post-care conditioner has a lovely coconut smell which may be a drawback if you're sensitive to fragrance or if the worst hangover of your life was Malibu rum-induced.

Afforability: A few bucks more than a Venti caramel macchiato, and those don't last 20min.
User friendly: Yes, it takes longer to wait on the bus.
Smell: Pleasant, beachy coconut that's not too strong
Color: Not blue black, or red black, or purple black, but black black, which was good good.

on 10/3/2013 2:09:00 PM

I bought this product based on the reviews and will definitely repurchase. Revlon's Hi Definition haircolor in "Bittersweet" was my HG and I have been looking for a new favorite since it was dx'ed 3+ years ago. Since my hair started to gray (late 30's) I have been using permanent color because I was under the impression that semi permanent would not cover my gray. I have struggled with "hot roots" from many permanent hair color brands in the super dark brown shades yet found that the "natural black" shades added an ugly reddish undertone and that the "jet blacks" were too dark and cool for me. Plus my iron rich well water contributes to dullness/fading ... and I tried so many brands in the last few years - never finding a brand that I loved.

I stood in front of the huge hair color display at ULTA and used the MUA app to look up reviews for "hair color" + "black" and despite my misgivings, I bought this one based on the reviews...

THANK YOU MUA!!

It's now 3 weeks later and this is my new HG... and I love that my hair feels good AND looks good.

I took 1 lippie away because the 2 week follow up "color treat" refresher was a total miss. I am just getting some visible gray roots along my temples and part (I usually need a touch up at 3-4 weeks, darn gray) and I had high hopes that this would do the trick at 2-1/2 weeks. It didn't do anything to to noticeably enhance my color or cover my gray -- but it did dye my scalp and visible part a deep *FUSCHIA* which actually made my grays more noticeable in contrast... so next time I will skip the refresher -OR- I may do a root retouch and then use the refresher as an after treatment.

This will be a repurchase for me!! Thanks MUA reviewers!

on 6/5/2013 7:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This product is amazing. I'm a hair color junkie and love to try new things, but always come back to this tried and true color. The color is perfect natural black black. The reviews here complaining that it's more permanent than demi (like it's advertised) let me just say this...it's BLACK. Any kind of black hair color is going to stay on your hair until you lift it out. There is really no such thing as a semi permanent black color. The reason it's semi/demi is because it is a deposit only color...but it will NOT wash out of your hair. No black color will.
With that being said...it's amazing. It doesn't fade (which is a plus for me) and colors my naturally BLONDE roots black as the rest of my hair. It only takes around 10 minutes (I leave mine in a big longer to make sure it covers my roots) and it really does make my hair soft and shiny and not damaged at all.
It is one of the most gentle and effective colors I have ever used and I will continue to use it until they discontinue it, which hopefully is never.

on 6/25/2013 11:44:00 AM

So for those of us ladies that absolutely love that dark rich black with shine and depth, this color is for you!!! There is no questions- It's BLACK!! I have died my hair black for many years and have struggled to find a die that is that is dark, deep and rich in color that doesn't fade to a brown. This "Demi" Permanent dye has lasted the longest on my hair then any other dye I have ever used without fading or losing shine. My hair still looks just freshly dyed 3 months later!!! I will probably have to touch up my roots soon but thats it. I did try the color refresh packet that comes in the box and it wasn't anything special. It comes out a purple color and is a little messy. Truthfully the dye lasts so long that you don't need it and by the time you have roots your probably just ready for another box of dye. I have tried almost every box dye in the darkest black and have gotten my hair professionally dyed black at the salon and bought salon quality black dye at Sally's and nothing compares to this. It does not feel damaging to my hair either. Since it is so gentle, it only deposits color rather then lifts and deposits like most permanent drugstore black dyes. I can't recommend this color enough to anyone who wants that deep rich black that LASTS!!!

on 5/29/2014 11:00:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This product was amazing and the color is true to the box. I went from red hair to a gorgeous jet black color in 10 minutes. The application is not messy and the product smelled wonderful. The conditioner that came with the product left my hair feeling soft and undamaged. i recommend this to anyone looking for a great black hair color and i would definitely repurchase.

Well, this was a bust. I shouldn't have wasted my money. This came out a weird consistency, and was just totally blah. I used this in black, and the 2 week color refresher was purple. Yuck! Next time I will stick with Clairol Radiance Colorgloss.

on 5/28/2012 4:44:00 PM

I really enjoy using this product. It doesn't take long to process - 10-15minutes works well - and is easy to apply. The color is initially inky black, with a bluish tint, but after a few washes looks more natural. It'll stain because it's so dark but with immediate cleanup, that's not a problem. It spreads nicely, although it makes my hair feel tangled when the dye's in it and when it's rinsed out. The included conditioner is really awesome and reverses that dryness. That's what I think that tangled feeling is from; dryness, not damage. This stuff has a floral scent that's not too chemically and I don't think it's very damaging. It's also super cheap.

My only issue is that this is barely semi-permanent. My hair isn't too light naturally but this still stains it pretty permanently. I've never tried to lift it but I've had that experience will NI in general. It really sticks without being too damaging, though, so that's nice if you want a perm color without AS much damage or commitment!

For reference, I think that Natural Instincts in general is a great product. Not too damaging, smells nice, works well. I have naturally medium brown hair, all one color and netural to warm in tone. I've used Natural Instincts in Cinnaberry (medium auburn), Nutmeg (dark brown), and Midnight (black).

on 10/22/2011 5:24:00 PM

Just dyed my hair last night with CLairol's #36. This is the best natural black color. Definitely be using this everytime i dye my hair black.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Before using this product I was using a mixture of Revlon Colosilk in Strawberry Blonde and Garnier Ultra Color in Light Tint Auburn. My hair was a orange/red outside and a browish/red inside. I was getting tired of having orange hair so I decided going back to my original color, only a few shades darker. I was going to use Garnier HerbaShine in Soft Black but the store I went to didn't have it so I brought the Natural Instincts instead since the Midnight Black looked so pretty. So I brought one box to use on my short hair. The packaging was really nice, better than Revlon or Garnier. So I applied the dye to my hair and left it for 30 minutes to get a more intense color. Results? I'M IN LOVE WITH MY HAIR! It's a really nice color, just like the picture on the box! I think there are some blue undertones? Not really sure but it looks like it on my hair. My hair feels amazingly soft and it's sooo shiny! I've gotten a lot of compliments so far (more than when I dyed my hair using Garnier or Revlon) I love the conditioner that came with it too, it seriously made my hair feel soft and it looks in better condition than before. Another I love about the product is that the smell is so nice, plus no dripping (unlike Revlon/Garnier) This has now become my number one hair dye and I'm never going back to Revlon or Garnier. I'm in love with my results!

THREE WEEKS LATER....
and I'm still in love with my hair color! It's nice and rich, hasn't faded into a lighter black. My hair still feels smooth and has a lot of shine to it. I recomend this only to people who are COMMITTED into having black hair... cause this isn't going to fade. Anyways I'm never using another hair dye ever again!