Calypso Mineral Beauty- Rainbow Eye Kit

2.8

Ordered in November last year, emailed her in January and Jennifer said to wait a bit longer. Emaiiled her again and it turns out oops! she didn't put enough postage on my original package, will send it out with more things to make up for it.

Now she's closed her store, closed her FB account, changed her paypal email and STOLE $160 FROM ME.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is nothing but an internet scam.

I won't say "don't buy from her" because her account on Etsy AND Paypal has been closed so you can't.

I first ordered in June 2009 and got part of my order In August 2009. Its now January 2010, and Ive been trying to get the rest of my order with no luck. She kept saying shed send them but in November she stopped replying. DO NOT PURCHASE CALYPSO MINERALS! Although they have beautiful pigments, its not worth it. I think she's "out of business" now ...

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I am in love with Jen and Calypso Minerals. These pigments CANNOT be beat for texture and color pay-off. I use these nearly everyday and get so many compliments on my make up.

The other reviews below mine did a great job of describing Jen's business and the colors in the rainbow stacker, so I won't repeat that info.

I find that these are super fun with OCC lip tar in clear, MAC mixing medium, and I also use some of them to change up some of my blushes. The uses are endless.

:D

First of all I need to state that I am not a regular user of mineral makeup, particularly not mineral eyeshadows. So my opinion here is not meant to be an expert opinion, and I don't have many comparison points.

In August, I saw Vintageortacky's video on the CalypsoMineral rainbow stacker. She actually got a customized one that the owner of the company, Jen, had kept available after that. Although I love color, I don't wear all of them - I stick to blues and peaches a lot. But I guess the vid just spurred me and I decided to order. Since etsy was mentioning the product was in stock, I expected it to arrive quickly.
Unfortunately, a month later, I still had received nothing. So I contacted Jen, and asked for a refund, since that stacker was 80$. It appears that she had shipped quite some time after my order because she had had a lot of orders and there was some delay. But still, she was very friendly and did refund me, and also said if the package was ever going to arrive, I could keep it for free. And to apologize for the inconvenience, she sent me another stacker, the matte one (worth 75$).

The first stacker I ordered actually showed up, and Jen confirmed I should just keep it! I then received the matte one but the post stamp indicated that it had been shipped 30 days before. I really don't get why this took so long since I always get my parcels from the US within 4 to 8 days. But well... I had been frustrated at first, but Jen was always very friendly, polite and I think she did more than what was really needed to make my customer experience better despite all the shipping problems. She also added nice samples to both packages.

Unfortunately I have come to hear a lot of different stories from people who did not receive anything nor a refund. I think as a person, Jen is lovely but as a business owner, she needs help. I'd think twice before ordering again.
Now, onto the actual review.

I can tell you how impressed I was by the pigmentation, especially for the mattes. I never wear all matte looks because I don't feel like they look the best on me, but what mostly puts me off is that with a lot of mattes, you have to pack on to get color pay off. I didn't have that problem at all with the mattes from the stacker: they feel very creamy and you really don't need to use a lot to have great payoff. Also they are easy to blend, and they also blend very well into each other to create new colors. So I must say I am impressed with the mattes! The shimmery rainbow stacker is great, too, although probably less unique in terms of consistency and usability, but all the colors are very bright and they look on the skin exactly the way they look in the jar.

So, all in all, is it worth the money? Well, 80$ is a lot to spend at once, but if I counted well, that's 14 eyeshadows you get there, which means you're paying $5,70 per color. Not too expensive, I think. But I would say that unless you're really into bright colors and love most of those available in the stacker, I'd stay away and would order single colors instead. That would lower the investment and guarantee you get things you're going to use only. I would also say that to me, the mattes are more unique and therefore more worth the investment.

I ordered eyeshadow almost 2 months ago . I never received anything. There has been no response to emails or phone calls. Her site is now down and she has turned off her message machine on the phone. I think she is an internet scam. DO NOT SEND THIS COMPANY YOUR MONEY YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

This is a great product to have if you like bright eyeshadow. I heard about this on YouTube (along with a million other products to spend $$ on), and have really enjoyed it. There are 13 shadows including (from website):
"Twilight" a violet duochrome that you can use with all of your colors to create a whole new color.
"Velvet" a dangerously red pigment (Must be careful as this is almost TOO pigmented and a little goes a long way)
"Lolita" a very dark Pink with low-medium Shimmer
"Mango" a medium coverage Medium Shimmer, Tangerine color (so pretty!)
"Madness" Medium shimmer full coverage highly pigmented green
"Lime Lite" Gorgeous Lime green! Low-med shimmer
"True Blue" SUPER Pigmented Matte Blue...beautiful when blended with Twilight!
"Pop Star" another favorite, very pigmented, finely ground, low- med shimmer. [bright blue]
"Tramp" Awesome purple color with low-med shimmer and lots of pigment
"Plum Crazy" so full of pigment, I love this color
"Ambitious" a very pearly pink color that shifts to purple..GORGEOUS! [think MAC Stars n Rockets]

also..Tango, a bright, medium shimmer orange, and Bandana, a VIBRANT medium shimmer yellow (what I wanted MAC Golden Lemon pigment to be).

These are available in stacked sifter jars or individual sifter jars, come with an eyeshadow brush, which my cats destroyed so I don't know much about it, and a few empty jars for creating your own colors. The jars are packed full. I also got two nice samples. If you count the cost of the shadows only, each one is a bit less than 6 dollars, a bargain compared to other mineral companies and the pigmentation of these shadows is so SO great. I use Lolita, Velvet, and Mango as blush. MANGO is the color to try, because its my fav out of all and it works on the eyes, lips, and cheeks. These work great over bases, including Mehron Paradise. They don't fade or change color. Good stuff. The company offers samples if you don't feel like dropping $80 on eyeshadow.

Calypso Mineral Beauty:

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

[[EDITED 1/30/2010]]
I had to update to say that no, I wouldn't buy again. Not because they're aren't high quality -- they are. But Jen has taken a nose dive as far as concern for customers. She has apparently taken money without giving product in return and I can't leave a review that has an overwhelming positive tone until (and if) she has set things right.
[[EDITED 1/30/2010]]

I adore both the pigments AND the woman who makes them.

This is a small business, and it shows in that Jen is very personable. She answers e-mail directly, she calls to check on things, she asks (and takes) input from her customer base -- and she grows her business in tune with the desires of the base.

The rainbow stack is gorgeous. Super pigmented and easy to apply -- and surprisingly little fallout, given the medium. It's amazing to know that I now have a truly red eyeshadow, a selections of oranges greater than the known orange spectrum, greens that make trees envious, purples beyond the dreams of historic royalty and duochromes to fit my mood even when I'm not sure what it is.

This is an amazing stack of minerals and so worth it. For people who are "meh" on the whole concept, I encourage you at least to try some samples.

The TAT is a bit longer than some other places -- but it's a one woman show! She's not got a host of people filling orders from a warehouse somewhere. It's pretty much her crushing and blending and being awesome. So you might wait a week prior to shipping, but you'll be back for more because they are well worth it. Well worth it.

I ABSOLUTELY love this! The colors are sooo pigmented and worth every penny. Jen, the owner and creator, makes and packages all of the products herself. Ship time will take a bit (even more so for me since I live in NH and she's based in CA) but WORTH the wait!!!!! I am on my 3rd order with her and I KNOW that will only be the beginnings!

She is currently in the process of moving her Etsy site to her own site, (so right now as of 9/18/09 she only has a few things on Etsy for sale) but visit www.calypsomineralbeauty.etsy.com ...you will be in LOVE!

Can't wait to see what she has in store for the new site!!!

The ones I have so far are:

Halloween kit: includes Curfew (usually comes with Velevet but I had that one already), Fanta, Jet, Neon Green and Bright White.

Original Rainbow stacker (I have the original, but the Vintageortacky one is GORGEOUS!!)

Singels in: (I have some duplicates) Matte Violet, Ambitious, Goldmember, New Moon, Kryptonite, Flambeaux, Eclipse, Sequin, What Ever, and Raspberry Truffle.

Patiently awaiting my Duochrome Stacker!!!!

LOVE IT ALL!!!