Salt

Few days ago I ran out of BB cream and I went to buy a new one. I asked the lady which color might match my skin and she said: "but you don't even need it?". That, for me, was one of the best compliments you can get because my skin is acne prone.
I write this here because it's because I've been applying salt externally. I mix a teaspoon of sea salt with brewed green tea and apple cider vinegar in a ratio of 3:1 respectively, I apply it after washing my face, let it dry and then I apply my moisturizer without rinsing the toner.
I've been doing this for 15 days and I LOVE IT. I did get little purge the very first day but it was gone 3 days later and now I do have few pimples in my chin because of my period so what I do at night is that I wait until the moisturizer is absorbed and then I apply a paste of table salt (a clean bag, not the one that has already been used for cooking) and few drops of toner and I leave it overnight.
This toner dries the pimple, flattens it and heals it faster. If it becomes a blackhead, I wait until it has no inflammation around it, I use a comedone extractor and then I apply the toner with a q-tip, and yes, it stings a looooot but it's worth it because after 6 hours or less, there is no inflammation at all, not even redness!.

**Edit (12/25/16)***
I stopped using this salt toner because it dried the skin too much and it started getting difficult to apply makeup.

I only use it as spot treatments sometimes, I keep switching between this and calamine (please check my review on that).

Actually, I've got very few pimples in a month (maybe two), so when they are starting, I do a salt paste (salt+apple cider vinegar) and it works amazingly. After 2 days, I apply calamine and if it is a very very annoying cyst, I apply a little bit of hydrocortizone (Check with a doctor before using it), if you plan to do it too, PLEASE don't use it often because it makes the skin thinner, use it only if it is an emergency, leave it overnight and the next night, use the salt paste.

on 9/6/2012 6:39:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

i use sea salt mixed with water and put it in a spray bottle and use it twice a day as my toner. it works wonders for me as it calms my redness, minimises pores and clears breakouts! it also controls oil on my t-zone! super easy and affordable and incredibly effective!!!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

This might sound a bit crazy, but I can swear it works!(well for me at least).
My skin cracks a lot near my wrist and ankles, I easily get bruises, I'm always knocking myself into things and I get burnt a lot from mishap episodes in the kitchen.
Anyways one day my mom burnt one her leg severely(3rd degree burns, had to get a skin graft etc) and during a visit at the specialist for her, the doctor was going on about how if she could take a swim in the ocean that would greatly beneift her etc and that salt not only disinfect her wounds, but also promotes healing.
After that appt for my mom, I went home, got the table salt and went to have a shower, I used the salt as a body scrub, and ever since then I seriously dont see the point of buying body scrubs at the shop anymore!
When I use the salt scrub on my body it did sting a little, but only around the areas where I had cuts/breakage in the skin. It most certainly did not leave my skin feeling dry and it wasn't as abrasive as I thought, only because the salt dissovles as your scrubbing.
And yes, it did promote faster healing especially areas where I had cuts.
I now use table salt at least 2x a week, and a bonus is its soo cheap!

on 9/26/2010 7:47:00 PM

WELL.

I went to a market and purchased a salt lamp, and decided to buy some himilayan crystal salt soap...and wow. The dry skin/dermatitus on the back of my thighs is almost gone, the patch of dry skin/acne I had on my chin is gone (I usually wake up with atleast 5 whiteheads, bluuurgh) and i rub it on my skin before I apply deoderant and it makes my deoderant last longer....dont have to use horrible chemical full crap anymore!!!! This is only after two days of use. But be CAREFUL. It's rock hard and very abrasive so It's best to rub it on your hands then on your skin coz you could literally tear yourself up...

Amazing. Amazing amazing. Will repost soon but I've never been this impressed this quickly.

on 4/13/2010 3:29:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

During a trip to China, we went to a hot spring resort that used salt water. After a day of soaking, I found that it was much easier to clean my pores.

I draw a bath up once a week, and put about 1- 1/2 cup of salt and let it dissolve Then I soak in it for as long as I need. I use normal table salt that I bought from the dollar store.

I also wash my face with salt water, just use a table spoon and dissolve in water. After your done, splash your face with cold water and moisturize! Salt is very dehydrating so you must moisturize.

If you don't mind the drying affects, it is an inexpensive way to clean your pores and help clear your acne!

on 6/18/2009 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have sensitive skin that reacts to chemical and dust mites, and my skin will got red, hot itchy whenever there's dust mites. I used to use hydrocortisone, it helps, but it's really slow. Accidentally, I found out that J&J head to toe baby wash helps to relieve the itch, whenever I got itchy at my bf's house, I rushed to clean the area with the wash. Anyways, I wonder why it helps, and I looked at the ingredients, I don't know the others but the Sodium Chloride (table salt.) So next time, I tried to add some water to the a lot of table salt and put it on the itchy site, although the redness is still there, I didn't feel that itchy any more! Then I used salty water on my pimples/whitehead before my sleep, it helps as well. What I think is the high concentration of salt water pulled out the "bad liquid" from the the area to relieve the situation. update: don't use it on open wound because the salt is going to damage the cell because salt hypertonic drawing out all the contents from the cell and burst the cell, making the wound bigger and uglier. Also, don't mix a very high concentration of salt in water.