Vanicream - Lite Lotion

No Image

3.7

Purified water, white petrolatum, propylene glycol, cetearyl alcohol, sorbital solution, cetearth-20, simethicone, glyceryl monostearate, polyethylene, glycol monostearate, sorbic acid, BHT.

on 8/15/2017 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

This has become my staple night cream for now.

I bought this to replace my Differin Balancing Moisturizer which is WAY too rich for me if Im not paring it with Differing gel & Benzoyl peroxide (In which case I prefer Differin Balancing over Vanicream light because it's more emollient. Then it balances out the drying effects of the actives). It was clogging my pores a little and making me look very oily. Not to mention it made me feel itchy constantly. I usually have problems with vegetable oils making me itchy and the Differin moisturizer has avocado oil in it. If Im using it together with Differin Gel & Benzoyl peroxide I dont experience that issue though.

It makes me sad and happy at the same time that this is a no frills moisturizer. Its basically water, synthetic emollients and an humectant. I apply it on a damp face since all it does is prevent water loss, so I want it to hold the maximum amount of water possible. When it dries I follow up with the rest of my topicals at night, which generally is Benzoyl Peroxide. I also like that its designed for people with sensitive skin in mind.

I tried using this lotion on my body as well after showering (the same as on face, on damp skin) but it didn't work out for me. I don't cover/wash my whole body with soap daily (just once/twice a week). The rest of days I wash the necessary areas and the rest I just flush with water) to prevent dry skin, so I noticed an increase in breakouts. I stopped using it as body lotion and went back to using Aloe Vera for that or nothing at all. Breakouts stopped.

I hesitate to call it an HG because it has no bells and whistles, but I'm definitively calling it a staple because it a good product to fall back on to, doesn't irritate my face or give me breakouts, it's accessible at drugstores, affordable because of the amount you get, and it has a nice hygienic packaging with a pump. Im VERY happy I found it and I give it 5 stars because it does what it promises to do.

on 2/22/2017 12:18:00 PM

No irritants
No fragrance
No parabens
I don't find it particularly moisturizing but my 16yr old son loves it because it doesn't burn his face and it doesn't feel heavy or sticky.
I do like to use this when I've derma rolled my face because it doesn't introduce any irritants into the skin.

on 10/19/2014 1:17:00 PM

HG cream for me. My skin has inexplicably become ultra-sensitive to products with strong chemicals or fragrances. I read about Vanicream on the boards and in reviews, but had trouble finding it locally until recently. So glad I did! The texture reminds me of DDF Ultra-Lite Moisturizing Dew, just a bit more watery. But, the lotion is very emollient. It rubs in pretty easily, holds moisture in, and most importantly... it has never irritated my skin! Love this.

on 3/30/2015 10:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This body lotion wasn't quite moisturizing enough for my dry skin. I like that it has very few ingredients, though.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This is a no-frills light drugstore lotion. For my dehydrated-normal skin with eczema, it doesn't fit my needs at all (I prefer creams or butters for year-round daily use) though. It's much too thin and not moisturizing enough. It's marketed towards dry skin, but it seems like it would be better suited to normal or oily skin types.

The price seems fair to me, clocking in at about ~$1/oz. However, since it's not quite as moisturizing as other drugstore lotions I've tried (Aveeno, Cetaphil, etc.) and certainly less moisturizing than creams (Cetaphil, CeraVe) it would be easy for someone with dehydrated or dry skin to run through it quickly.

Overall, this is a decent light drugstore lotion option but it doesn't suit my dehydrated skin at all. For anyone with dry or dehydrated skin, I would give this a pass. For those with oily or normal skin who want a light option this would be worth a shot.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

This product seems to "sit" on top of facial skin, never really penetrating. As the second ingredient is white petrolatum, I suppose I'm not surprised. It also left my skin looking oily. While it goes on smoothly with no offensive odor, its lightweight properties do not quite feel hydrating enough. I have only tried this product on my face, but perhaps it would be better suited for the body.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This is now a staple for me - and it's just as gentle and friendly as CeraVe moisturizer or Cetaphil (i used Cetaphil the cleanser, the one that works as both a cleanser and moisturizer).
The feel of it is not heavy or greasy. Sometimes with Cetaphil, I felt like it was a tad heavier or less breathable.
The bottle states it is safe for everyone, including babies, and with this giant pump bottle (I purchased for about $13 at CVS)...the whole family could use it and probably not run out too soon.
I like the bottle design; a pump is perfect to me, and i like the round shape.
The cost is definitely about the same as the other brands as well.

When I saw this, it reminded me of some kind of name that would be associated with lightening the skin (i.e. i kept thinking of porcelana or something), but trust me, it's totally an innocent, lightweight moisturizer that has no frills, smells or any funny stuff.

I love it and it's going to be a staple for me. Disclaimer: when i purchased, there were only about 2 bottles in stock, so it's less likely to be seen/found than CeraVe, etc. My guess is that this is less popular to buy, but it's really good.

on 4/10/2013 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Nice unscented body lotion but don't use on your face.

on 8/13/2014 12:22:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I really wanted to like this because I have very sensitive skin and this had a short list of ingredients. Unfortunately, I really didn't like this at all.
It was too lightweight, I never felt like it was even moisturizing my skin.

I have moved on to Clinique's dramatically different moisturizing gel for the daytime & cerave PM at night and I love those two much more.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have tried a bunch of different lotions for my sensitive skin and found this to be the best overall moisturizer. This lite version isn't as greasy as the thicker versions of vanicream. The only down side is that I also have to put on a sun screen before I apply my make-up, so it's double lotions. I thought about trying the vanicream with spf but after reviews about it beading up with make-up, I'm not sure I'll try it. I do like this lite vanicream though!

Popular Lotions / Creams