Shea Moisture Organic African Black Soap

Shea Moisture Organic African Black Soap

3.9

(**This is the list for the non-organic large bar. I believe they are the same but the small bars ingredients are organic**) African Black Soap Base , African Shea Butter , Oats , Aloe , Plantain Extract , Vitamin E , Essential Oil Blend , Vegetable Glycerin , Palm Ash , Rosemary Extract , Iron Oxides

on 9/22/2018 11:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I purchased this because I have very sensitive skin and cystic acne. After one week my face cleared up! This is the only cleanser I’ve used that has cleared my sensitive skin up. I am definitely keeping this as my HG!

on 12/14/2017 8:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this stuff for years but I'm using the liquid version not the bar. I have sensitive skin and it does not break me out at all. A little drying but I have oily skin so it's perfect for me.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I love this soap. It smells amazing, like something (maybe a food/candy) from my childhood that I can't remember. I don't use this every time I wash my face, just a few times a week. I like to rotate between a few cleansers, this being the strongest. This soap is nice for taking off makeup and/or heavy sunscreen or the oil based treatment I sometimes wear overnight. I'll even use this with my clarisonic. Great value, especially if you chop it into smaller chunks and I love this company.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

My rating is for using this as a brush cleaner only: I am hesitant to use this on my face; I bought this, as a few other reviewers, to use as a brush cleaner. Works great as a brush cleaner. I first saw the idea on a youtube video. There are a couple youtube videos demonstrating this, but it is pretty self-explanatory. Does have a smell that can be a little off-putting, if your nose is sensitive to scents. Works just fine as a brush cleaner, I cannot attest to any other uses for this. But I doubt I will repurchase, I will likely stick with the spritz type brush cleaners. I guess I am just too much of a traditionalist in that regard.

Skin: Dry, Other, Neutral

Hair: Other, Other, Coarse

I was browsing Ulta looking for a solid brush cleaner, and the only one I could find was $20.
I'm not one to spend that much on a small tin of brush soap, so I started looking for their bar soaps and came across this one. When I finally returned home, I used this to clean some eye and face brushes, one of which I had already tried to clean before but failed at- you cannot imagine how much residue this soap was able to get out of that brush! It worked well and was really easy to swirl my brushes on the soap bar to lather up. I'm completely satisfied with my purchase!

On a side note, I did use this 1 time as a 2nd cleanser for my face, and never again. I thought it left me too squeeky clean and that it was too harsh for my skin. But as a brush cleanser this is fantastic.

on 8/5/2017 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

After hearing all the hype, I really wanted to like this. It seemed to be a miracle worker for so many people, and for the price, it seemed like a great buy. The soap has a really strong smell like black licorice/fake cherry and is black with small pieces of what I think is plantain peel?? I lathered the soap on a small facial towel and used it in the morning and at night. Right away, I started breaking out in small clusters of whiteheads that soon progressed into cystic pimples. I freaked out a bit but saw some posts about a possible purging period with this product, so I kept using it. My skin only proceeded to get worse, so I did more research into the purging process. It should only happen with products that contain agents that increase the rate of cell turnover, bringing any hidden bacteria and pimples to the skin. This product doesn't contain anything that should cause purging. I stopped using it and realized how sensitive and dry it made my skin. It's been 3 days since I stopped using the soap, and my skin is dramatically improving. For some, this is a great buy!! But for others like me, this product did not work out.

on 6/7/2017 6:16:00 AM

This product broke me out sooo bad and dried out my face. I only used it for a week and realised I began to develop cystic pimples, I thought it was just a purging period but I was wrong. It got worse and worse, clusters of pimples all over my face. I've got oily/combination skin but this soap literally dried out my face so bad that moisturiser couldn't even hydrate it. Bar soap aren't meant for the face. Avoid at all costs.

on 5/25/2017 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

The first time I bought this was because I was experiencing some facial breakouts and wanted to experiment with something new and more natural, instead of staying with my usual Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser bar. Hmm, I wouldn't say I like this for my face because it stripped my skin from moisture. BUT I really liked it for my body because it makes you feel squeaky clean- very, very clean. I, honestly, don't know if I would use it for facial acne or troubled skin, because I suffer from mild rosacea and the excessive dryness exacerbates it, and this made my skin quite dry. It makes a lot of suds with just a little bit that you use. The smell is quite nice, kind of sweet and clean at the same time and the actual bar of soap is HUGE in comparison to regular soaps. It comes wrapped in a plastic paper, nothing fancy, but you can actually see the bar of soap. I buy this sporadically, whenever I feel like it. It's not like I NEED this, but it makes my body feel squeaky clean, which I like ^_^

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I just could not hang with this soap! Dried my skin out to a point that it was hard to rehydrate afterwards with moisturizers.

I've been using this product for only about too weeks but so far I absolutely love it! I have never had extremely acne prone skin or cystic acne, just a few pimples here and there but I have to say that since I started using this I have no blemishes at all (most of the time - not counting the days after a night full of alcohol or during my period). Plus it doesn't dry out my skin (which many anti-acne products tend to do) and leaves it nice and soft.
It has a characteristic smell which I personally love and the bar will probably last a really long time because after 2 weeks of usage it is still the exact same size.
If you have acne prone skin I would definitely give this a try!

EDIT:
I used to love this during the summer when my skin was more oily but now in winter it just doesn't work for me anymore. I dries my skin out as hell and it feels really tight on my skin after I use it... I guess I'll just have to wait until summer.

Popular Gels/Soaps