Shea Moisture Organic African Black Soap

Shea Moisture Organic African Black Soap

3.9

(**This is the list for the non-organic large bar. I believe they are the same but the small bars ingredients are organic**) African Black Soap Base , African Shea Butter , Oats , Aloe , Plantain Extract , Vitamin E , Essential Oil Blend , Vegetable Glycerin , Palm Ash , Rosemary Extract , Iron Oxides

on 3/25/2017 10:13:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I always wondered why Shea Moisture also bars were so expensive until I bought this one and it's so far lasted 2 months and gone done about 20%. It's a huge bar. I wash one and night and sir in the morning for at least 15 minutes and the thing still looks like I've only used it for a week!
That's the first plus. The second is the scent. I don't like fragrances but this scent isn't harsh. It goes very well with the scent of cocoa butter. The only reason I wouldn't buy it again is because Palmer's Cocoa Butter Bar works much faster at clearing up blemishes and had a much milder scent.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I think this is a mild version of authentic black African soap. It's nice and gentle but I prefer a slightly harsher and more effective acne treatment. However this is nice to wash off makeup and also use as a body soap, especially if you get blemishes. It doesn't dry out my skin and doesn't smell bad. It's a nice cleanser but not a miracle as far as acne goes. I prefer the sheaterra black African rose hips face wash, works better and smells nice.

on 12/19/2016 9:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

LOVE this line. This is one of the few black-owned lines you'll find anywhere, and not only is that super cool, the products are great. There's something for everyone, and the soaps are all natural without sodium tallowate, which is the primary ingredient in most bar soaps AND made from beef fat.

Nice, huh? That bar of ivory is beef fat leftover after processing. I'm not complaining b/c at least if we're gonna eat beef, I think we should not waste anything, but still...SHEA MOISTURE ROCKS! Go try it!

this product has saved me so much!! I have never written a review so to actually be writing one for this soap means I love it!! i have been using this soap for a month and has cleared my skin soooo much in so little time. when i first got it I had such bad acne, all over my cheeks and jaw since that's my problem area. In just a week or 2, i started seeing results and over that time my skin has improved. I actually feel good enough to go out with no makeup now. It's also good for blemishes since i have that and it's slowly all fading away. It is a bit drying but i think it's all worth it. as long as you use a good moisturizer you're all good. this is my holy grail and recommend this!

on 12/4/2016 11:07:00 AM

this product doesn't help my skin that much but I still use it about once a week (I don't like using it everyday) I cut it in half and use one half on my face and the other to clean my makeup brushes and sponges. I love it for cleaning it smells Wonderful and cleans my sponges so well no dryness either

on 10/15/2016 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I really wanted to love this product! It smells wonderful but it dried and broke out my skin. I though it was due to the "purging" phase but after months of "purging" I had to let it go.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I use this soap as an all over body soap during summer months. I find that it's too drying to use on my face or during the dry winter months. I tend to get a few breakouts across my back during warm weather and this soap helps to prevent them. The only draw backs I've found are that it makes my shower very slippery and I wish it came in a smaller bar.

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Love the smell & best soap I've ever used!

on 8/22/2016 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

After reading glowing reviews for oily/acne prone skin, I decided to give this a go. I had previously been using the Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask which initially cleared up my acne years ago but now has just plateaued in effectiveness.
I cut a slice of the chunk and have been storing the small slice in a mini tupperware container. I have been using this morning and night, however trying to only wash at night because IT'S SO DRYING. Maybe I use a lot of product. But this product while initially drying up some of my breakouts has created new ones with how dry it has made my skin.
I am thinking of switching from Cetaphil face lotion to a facial oil to see if this makes a difference. But i'm kind of unimpressed with this so far. However, I am did JUST start using this on my back since I have a few pimples from sweaty gym clothes (glamorous, I know). I will make an update on this soon. But for now, only two lippies! Sorry.

on 8/21/2016 3:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

This soap has given me back my confidence! After quitting birth control, my skin was beautiful for a few months but a few weeks ago, I starting breaking out in horrible cysts. Red, painful, and new ones were popping up every day. I was so devastated because my skin was the best it has ever been. I tried switching to a cleanser that was very gentle and had worked for me in the past, but it did nothing. Years ago, a friend told me she used this soap and it cleared her breakouts right up. I was desperate so I went and got some. I am beyond thrilled. This prevented new cysts and calmed the existing ones tf down. My skin also looks way less red and irritated, so I feel the scarring will be minimal to nonexistent. I was worried this would make my skin insanely oily or dry it out way too much, it did neither. My skin feels soft and balanced.