Shea Moisture Organic African Black Soap

Shea Moisture Organic African Black Soap

3.9

(**This is the list for the non-organic large bar. I believe they are the same but the small bars ingredients are organic**) African Black Soap Base , African Shea Butter , Oats , Aloe , Plantain Extract , Vitamin E , Essential Oil Blend , Vegetable Glycerin , Palm Ash , Rosemary Extract , Iron Oxides

on 6/7/2017 6:16:00 AM

This product broke me out sooo bad and dried out my face. I only used it for a week and realised I began to develop cystic pimples, I thought it was just a purging period but I was wrong. It got worse and worse, clusters of pimples all over my face. I've got oily/combination skin but this soap literally dried out my face so bad that moisturiser couldn't even hydrate it. Bar soap aren't meant for the face. Avoid at all costs.

on 5/25/2017 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

The first time I bought this was because I was experiencing some facial breakouts and wanted to experiment with something new and more natural, instead of staying with my usual Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser bar. Hmm, I wouldn't say I like this for my face because it stripped my skin from moisture. BUT I really liked it for my body because it makes you feel squeaky clean- very, very clean. I, honestly, don't know if I would use it for facial acne or troubled skin, because I suffer from mild rosacea and the excessive dryness exacerbates it, and this made my skin quite dry. It makes a lot of suds with just a little bit that you use. The smell is quite nice, kind of sweet and clean at the same time and the actual bar of soap is HUGE in comparison to regular soaps. It comes wrapped in a plastic paper, nothing fancy, but you can actually see the bar of soap. I buy this sporadically, whenever I feel like it. It's not like I NEED this, but it makes my body feel squeaky clean, which I like ^_^

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I just could not hang with this soap! Dried my skin out to a point that it was hard to rehydrate afterwards with moisturizers.

I've been using this product for only about too weeks but so far I absolutely love it! I have never had extremely acne prone skin or cystic acne, just a few pimples here and there but I have to say that since I started using this I have no blemishes at all (most of the time - not counting the days after a night full of alcohol or during my period). Plus it doesn't dry out my skin (which many anti-acne products tend to do) and leaves it nice and soft.
It has a characteristic smell which I personally love and the bar will probably last a really long time because after 2 weeks of usage it is still the exact same size.
If you have acne prone skin I would definitely give this a try!

on 3/25/2017 10:13:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I always wondered why Shea Moisture also bars were so expensive until I bought this one and it's so far lasted 2 months and gone done about 20%. It's a huge bar. I wash one and night and sir in the morning for at least 15 minutes and the thing still looks like I've only used it for a week!
That's the first plus. The second is the scent. I don't like fragrances but this scent isn't harsh. It goes very well with the scent of cocoa butter. The only reason I wouldn't buy it again is because Palmer's Cocoa Butter Bar works much faster at clearing up blemishes and had a much milder scent.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I think this is a mild version of authentic black African soap. It's nice and gentle but I prefer a slightly harsher and more effective acne treatment. However this is nice to wash off makeup and also use as a body soap, especially if you get blemishes. It doesn't dry out my skin and doesn't smell bad. It's a nice cleanser but not a miracle as far as acne goes. I prefer the sheaterra black African rose hips face wash, works better and smells nice.

on 12/19/2016 9:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

LOVE this line. This is one of the few black-owned lines you'll find anywhere, and not only is that super cool, the products are great. There's something for everyone, and the soaps are all natural without sodium tallowate, which is the primary ingredient in most bar soaps AND made from beef fat.

Nice, huh? That bar of ivory is beef fat leftover after processing. I'm not complaining b/c at least if we're gonna eat beef, I think we should not waste anything, but still...SHEA MOISTURE ROCKS! Go try it!

this product has saved me so much!! I have never written a review so to actually be writing one for this soap means I love it!! i have been using this soap for a month and has cleared my skin soooo much in so little time. when i first got it I had such bad acne, all over my cheeks and jaw since that's my problem area. In just a week or 2, i started seeing results and over that time my skin has improved. I actually feel good enough to go out with no makeup now. It's also good for blemishes since i have that and it's slowly all fading away. It is a bit drying but i think it's all worth it. as long as you use a good moisturizer you're all good. this is my holy grail and recommend this!

on 12/4/2016 11:07:00 AM

this product doesn't help my skin that much but I still use it about once a week (I don't like using it everyday) I cut it in half and use one half on my face and the other to clean my makeup brushes and sponges. I love it for cleaning it smells Wonderful and cleans my sponges so well no dryness either

on 10/15/2016 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I really wanted to love this product! It smells wonderful but it dried and broke out my skin. I though it was due to the "purging" phase but after months of "purging" I had to let it go.