Maybelline Stylish Smokes in Natural Smokes

4.1

on 5/25/2012 7:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I only really use neutrals on my eyes, and this is so far the best I've tried! I use the darkest shade as liner for my eyes and brows, and the shimmery taupe for my lids. I don't use the lightest shade or the crease shade as often, only when I'm going for a more dramatic look.

I recently ran out of the lid colour, and instead of re-purchasing I bought the single-colour Chic Naturals 250S Tastefully Taupe. I actually like this much better, it doesn't have as much shimmer and the colour suits me better.

I would purchase this quad again though, it's really handy for the darker colour and when traveling... but they changed the packaging and now you don't get an even amount of each colour, so I might be looking for something new.

This is definitely my favorite drugstore eye shadow quad of all time. Its my standard day-to-day smokey look. I use it for day time and amp it up for a sexy night time look. I adore this colors and think they work so well together. I've hit pan and that says a lot considering I have a ton of other quads. I'll get into each color and what I like about them.

Matte Cream White(Highlight)- A little sheer, least pigmented color of them all, but make a nice matte highlight or to put over blended color to tone it out.

Shimmery Taupe(Lid)- A beautiful taupe color with shimmer, some sparkle. Very pigmented.

Medium Brown(Crease)- This color is a satin finish and perfect for the crease. Its a deep brown.

Black-Brown- This shade is a combination of black and brown in a matte finish. The color is perfect for taking your eyes into a night look.

Every girl should have this whether they like neutrals or simply if they're beginning in makeup. One thing I do suggest is that you use a base underneath, preferably with color to it. Maybe a taupe or a champagne color to enhance the lid color.

I'm really surprised at how great the reviews for this are! I bought it about 4 or 5 months ago and I've only used it twice. The browbone/base shade is a chalky white; it doesn't even feel or look smooth in the pan. On my browbone it barely shows up and I'm a PPP. Same story with the lid color, except that it's taupe. These two shadows are not smooth or buttery in the least. Very 'rough' feeling for lack of a better word. I do like the crease shade, but I simply have better quality shadows in a similar shade. I do like the outer corner color a fair bit, but I find it hard to blend. Overall, it just did not work for me. Bummer :(

I LOVE the colors in this quad! They are decently pigmented and just gorgeous, in my opinion. The reason I rated it so low is because even when I apply Urban Decay Primer Potion, these shadows STILL crease on me. Granted, I have really oily eyelids, but my MAC and UD shadows don't crease when used with UDPP. So if you don't have an issue with oily eyelids, I would highly recommend this quad!

Yes this is a fantastic pallette for beginners and dummies like me who have no idea how to achieve a gorgeous smoky eye, BUT I must admit the finished product washed me out somewhat and I needed to add the 2 lightest gold colours from the "Give me Gold" pallette to my lids and inner eyes to make my light green eyes "pop" however, this quad provided that lovely smoky look and a gorgeous base, it just (on my face) needed that extra little oomph of something, Looking forward to trying the emerald smokes but have a feeling I will also need to add something to give that pop of colour.

on 12/14/2010 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Great quad for a brown smokey eye. I really like the colors-good pigmentation, very blendable and easy to transition from a day to night look with one palette. I like combining Patina and Satin Taupe with this palette too. Some reviewers have noted the lid color is not that pigmented, but I've found that if I put the highlight color all over my lid and then layer the lid color on top it looks really pretty-actually similar to patina. The crease color actually looks good in the outer v if you are looking for a daytime look. I would say the crease color is similar to MAC's Handwritten. Great value.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I am a Maybelline Skeptic. I've rarely tried a Maybelline product that I didn't find to be cheap, both in appearance and quality. I bought the Amethyst Smokes quad and was so disgusted with the hard, dry, chalky consistency and poor pigmentation that I threw it in the trash after one use.

But, after reading the reviews I decided to take a leap of faith and give Maybelline one more try with this quad.

I have to admit, the quality is pretty darn good. The shadows are smooth, deeply pigmented and easy to blend. Can it compare to high end shadows? Frankly, no. But this is a drugstore product that delivers good quality at a very affordable price.

However...I will caution warm skinned gals that although this quad appears to be neutral/warm, all the colors apply as some variation of silver/gray. At least they do on me. The crease color, which I thought would be a very, very deep bronze, applied as just a darker variation of the lid color. Now, I have very fair skin and I am definitely warm complected, so maybe on a cool complection, they would apply as warm as they appear in the pan. But on me, they really applied too silvery/cool for my warm complection, and too dark for my fairness.

Still, beautiful colors, good quality and unbeatable price for the right person. Just not me.

on 11/7/2010 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

After hearing great reviews for this quad and seeing it in the stores, I finally decided to get it. The color scheme is great, however I didn't like the quality of the shadows. The colors were kind of hard to blend, and were not smooth or long lasting like, say, mac shadows. It took twice as much product to get the color payoff. But it's true you get what you pay for, and this is decent for a drug store palette, but I would rather spend more for better quality.

on 11/2/2010 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I questioned if these colors would be too dark on my very fair complexion but I love them! And you can't beat the price.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love love love this eyshadow quad! I cant believe Maybeline has finally made some decent eyeshadows! I own Satin Taupe which is a dupe for the crease colour in this quad, but for some reason ST looks kind of greyish on me.. does anyone know of a MAC shadow that is similar to ST or the crease colour in this quad..minus the grey?