Maybelline Stylish Smokes in Natural Smokes

4.1

on 10/15/2013 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I haven't bought Maybelline eyeshadows in years. I wore them in my teen years because that's all I could afford then and I hadn't ventured into the world of high end brands.
I took advantage of a promotion and decided to get this quad set based on the reviews here and I'm glad I did.
I think Maybelline has stepped up its game and I love the look of these eyeshadows. The texture isn't quite up there with MAC, UD or the other brands known for the dense pigment but it's reasonable. Having said that, a good eye primer is necessary for these shadows to last the day. Otherwise they may end up looking slightly powdery. (hence the four lippies)

The Natural Smokes quad is just that; a naturally smokey eye look that's perfect for the day. Of course you can always add more for a night look.

I'm very pleasantly surprised by these shadows. Now if Maybelline could improve their mascaras.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I love love love this product! I do love my NYX and Wet N Wild shadows, and although this is my only Maybelline eyeshadow product, this is my favorite eyeshadow quad. I use Natural Smokes almost all the time. I just love how it can give me the perfect smokey eye. For people who want a nice sultry smokey eye but don't look good in greys, this the absolute perfect quad. I paid around 4 bucks at Walmart for this bad boy, and I don't regret it at all. To be honest, however, I would give this quad 4.5 stars just because of the new packaging. I've seen the old one before and I hate how there's more highlight and liner color yet less crease and lid color. If I were them I would give more crease and lid color and less highlight and liner color. But still, I love this product and it's a definite HG for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Bought this based on the great reviews and am disappointed. Terrible quality! Shadows are chalky and lack pigmentation. For drugstore, Wet n' Wild or Milani is a better bet. Also am a little lighter than NC15 and the colors were too cool on me.

on 11/1/2010 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I generally don't like buying drugstore eyeshadows but this got so many positive reviews and the colors were different from what I had. I decided to get it and it was not expensive ($5 at walmart). Obviously it isn't MAC but for what it is (affordable and pretty colors) its amazing! I personally have to use a primer and sometimes a base to get the perfect color pay off, but I really like it. My boyfriend even complemented my eyes the day I wore it. I find it a little hard to blend it out with a brush, so I use my fingers. Totally worth getting if you don't have the colors, they are very pretty! I will get one for my sister who isn't very makeup capable because it is so easy to use and great for most skin tones.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

There are a ton of great reviews for this product already, and a couple of youtube tutorials using this quad so I do not think there is much more to say, but I will add my two cents to give it another positive review. I really like that I can take this with me of vacation and have a complete neutral smokey eye is a very slim and portable case. I do think that the outer corner color is too dark for my preference, but it could be added for a dramatic look, or left off for a more wearable look. The price is also good. I actually bought a backup of this because I like it that much.

on 7/22/2010 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I bought this quad for the outer corner colour - I wanted a cheaper alternative to Revlon's Matte eyeshadow in Rich Sable. I find it very difficult to find a good dark-cocoa eyeshadow so I was very happy when I saw this one, but although I love the colour, I have to put on several layers to get a good deep brown with any staying power. A couple of times, when I was in a rush, I only put on one layer and a few hours later it had faded terribly - it looked like hung-over, slept-in makeup. As long as I put on a few layers it stays well though. The crease colour is nice but I'm not a fan of shimmer at all so I use it sparingly. It has a smoother consistency than the outer corner colour. I never use the brow bone colour because I have the Revlon Matte in Vintage Lace which I think is heaps better in all respects, and I hate the lid colour. Mostly this is because of my aversion to shimmer, but also I find the consistency a little off ... a bit chunky, somehow? All in all, this quad is great for travelling as you can create many different looks with it, but since it needs multiple layers it makes the process very time consuming. I'll only repurchase if I can't find a better cocoa brown.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Very nice eye shadow quad! The color pay off is very good, not chalky or powdery. The lid color is a dupe for MAC Satin Taupe. The dark brown is a lovely liner that stays in place. The highlighter is a dupe for Bobbi Brown, Bone,and the crease color is a nice warm deep copper. The packaging is fine because it is small, thin, and will slip in your makeup bag, purse, cell phone case, or even pocket! I am tiring of the expensive brands, as they are getting poorer and poorer in quality, I am assuming because of costs I am also concerned about the products made in China. I have done a lot of research on the quality control measures in China for US drugs, makeup, etc. They may say that they are made by US standards but there are very few inspectors from the US sent to monitor the manufacturing processes. This is because of cutbacks in the FDA. The cosmetic company may send inspectors but it is costly and they are not disclosing their review process. This quad is made in America and I trust the practices here before I trust the dyes, and fillers from China! I have seen documentaries on television and news articles about the operational practices in China and what they are putting in our products! Beware about your cosmetics! Your skin is porous and whatever you put on your eyes, skin, lips, etc. is absorbed right into the tissue and bloodstream. Beware of those pencils used for the waterline. Buy American!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I am a fan of this quad. I'm fair with brown eyes and I have found the trick to this shadow is to apply it WET over a base (I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance). It also helps to apply very little at first and then blend out instead of packing it on. This should help avoid the 'black eye' look which I initially had a problem with too. I use the darkest shade as a liner and it's very pigmented so it works well for that. The lid color is my favorite; it's a rare, cooler-toned brownish taupe and looks great on camera. Overall, I am pleased with it!

on 11/10/2009 8:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I love this eye shadow! It works good on me... Its not too shimmery which I like, and creates a very nice smokey eye. I also think that you should use a different brush other than the sponge applicators that come with it. Other than that, excellent :)