Maybelline New York Stylish Smokes in Natural Smokes

4.1

Price: $

Price: $

on 3/12/2014 1:59:00 PM

I love this quad. I suck at smokey eyes but this makes it easy AND natural looking and not batshit crazy looking! Not the softest most pigmented shadows ever but that is good since I am heavy handed.

on 3/29/2012 2:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

I love eyeshadows with the steps on the package & this had some decent reviews so I wanted to try it. The colors didn't really impress me once applied. The two darker shades are too similar in my opinion and don't really pop. It looked more blah than smokey + the vanilla shade was a little to white against my skintone. The textures of all three colors were chalkier than smooth. I won't repurchase.

on 2/7/2011 1:04:00 AM

Very disappointed in this quad. The 3 dark colors are too close in intensity and it's hard to get any contrast from them. Making it worse is the fact they seem to have a purple undertone and every time I have used it, it looks like I have a black eye.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

My go-to when I'm in a hurry. All colours coordinate perfectly with right amount of matte and sheen. The brown is so pigmented which is perfect for lining or for smoky. I've also worn the hiliter and lid colour -- looks natural and quick. No fallouts. I noticed that a new packaging has minimized some the shades. Will pick up another set for my gym bag. Wish it came with a mirror. Good price.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I am a Maybelline Skeptic. I've rarely tried a Maybelline product that I didn't find to be cheap, both in appearance and quality. I bought the Amethyst Smokes quad and was so disgusted with the hard, dry, chalky consistency and poor pigmentation that I threw it in the trash after one use.

But, after reading the reviews I decided to take a leap of faith and give Maybelline one more try with this quad.

I have to admit, the quality is pretty darn good. The shadows are smooth, deeply pigmented and easy to blend. Can it compare to high end shadows? Frankly, no. But this is a drugstore product that delivers good quality at a very affordable price.

However...I will caution warm skinned gals that although this quad appears to be neutral/warm, all the colors apply as some variation of silver/gray. At least they do on me. The crease color, which I thought would be a very, very deep bronze, applied as just a darker variation of the lid color. Now, I have very fair skin and I am definitely warm complected, so maybe on a cool complection, they would apply as warm as they appear in the pan. But on me, they really applied too silvery/cool for my warm complection, and too dark for my fairness.

Still, beautiful colors, good quality and unbeatable price for the right person. Just not me.

on 11/7/2010 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

After hearing great reviews for this quad and seeing it in the stores, I finally decided to get it. The color scheme is great, however I didn't like the quality of the shadows. The colors were kind of hard to blend, and were not smooth or long lasting like, say, mac shadows. It took twice as much product to get the color payoff. But it's true you get what you pay for, and this is decent for a drug store palette, but I would rather spend more for better quality.

on 11/7/2010 8:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Very nice, especially for the price. I love to wear the crease color on the lid as a standalone shade, I wish I could find this in a single shade. I would think this quad would work for many different skin tones. For ref: NC50.

on 11/6/2010 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This isn't the best quality e/s and the packaging lacks but I have already purchased a back-up. Needs primer for best lasting power..UDPP.
The red undertones really make my blue eyes pop. I'm actually only rating this as a 5 because it works so well on my complexion. I am solidly a Colorstay oily/combo 180 Sand Beige, AL 2YL. Med Auburn hair and blue eyes.
I don't use it as instructed though. I have deepset eyes and the brow 'hides' my big eyelid. (I have hooded eyes but my eyelid is huge). If I apply the colors as instructed I just end up with a flat looking eye...hoping this makes sense to ya'll...lol.
I use the lightest brow/hilite on my entire eye area, concentrated on the lid/lash line and blended up above the crease as a base. The lid color goes into the crease and the crease color is my "V". The color labeled outer corner I use as a smudged liner during the day but for a more dramatic or smokey look I use MAC black tied over liquid black liner.
This method along with a nude/pink lipgloss can be a soft, neutral daytime or a smokin' hot, sexy look for night.
I like how I can start out the day with these colors at work and then just amp it up in the evening.
I am really looking to dupe these with a higher quality/pigmented brand now.

on 10/31/2010 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I was never a fan of Maybelline eyeshadow until I tried this one. This is really nice. Love the color combo, love the color pay off and lasting power, and I love the price. I believe these are dupes for several of MAC eyeshadow for a fraction of the price.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I purchased this quad for work. I wanted something simple for every day. What could be simpler than this product that even tells you which shade goes where? I have some makeup skills so the result is partially how well the shades work together, the texture of the shadows and my ability. I couldn't believe the gorgeous smokey eye I achieved with this quad. My eyes never got so many compliments. The staying power is outstanding. No primer. Applied with the little spongies that came with it. Lasted all day and evening. When I went to remove it, 17 hours after I had applied it, with no touch-ups, it looked exactly the way it did this morning. Shocking. Will definitely repurchase because I foresee using this daily.