Laura Mercier Flat Eyeliner Brush

Flat Eyeliner Brush

4.6

on 11/18/2016 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

First: I should mention that I'm very new to tightlining and am not very good at it yet, so this may bias my review. I purchased a travel-size version of this brush on eBay -- note that travel-size here just means shorter handle; it has the same brush head. I hate to be a dissenting voice on a page full of 5-star reviews, but I found this brush much too wide for tightlining -- it's more narrow than the MAC 212, but again...too wide and hard for me to control. I use a gel eyeliner to tightline, and my preferred technique is to push the liner at the roots of my lashes from below while lifting up the eyelid. I think the LM brush is well-made, but again, too wide and difficult for me to get a good precise line. I ended up buying the Sephora Pro #32 Tightline Brush and am MUCH happier with that one, as it's not as wide and easier to control the tightline. I may give the LM brush another shot as I refine my technique, but for now, I really like the Sephora brush better. YMMV! EDIT: I've added a picture of all 3 brushes for comparison.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

This brush... where do I start? It soooo good. Internally I was going to return it because because I have a Japonsaque flat brush the MAC flat brush and the sigma flat brush this beats all of them out of the water! If you have almond shaped eyes or Asian eyes this is the EYELINER BRUSH FOR YOU!!! I can finally tight line my top and bottom lash lines! Love it wish I had brought this and not wasted money on the rest.

My favorite tightlining brush ever! I wish I hadn't resisted buying it for so long. I have dozens of flat eyeliner brushes, from high end ones to cheap art store ones. Don't believe that the art store brushes do as good a job as this one. They don't. Some of the other brushes I own are too stiff and scratch my eyelids. Others have bristles that are too long, flimsy or bendy. This one is just right to push waterproof gel eyeliner Into the lash roots, just below the lash line, on my upper eyelid. It's just sturdy enough too, but not stiff. And it's tapered just enough too.. Plus the tip of the bristles seem to be rounded, because they feel gentle when I push them into my tightline, even when I wiggle them to fill in the gaps, they never irritate. The tip isn't too wide either (The Smashbox flat eyelining brush was okay to line the top of the lashline, but too wide for below, as my upper tightline is not straight, but very curvy). You can sometimes get this Laura Mercier brush on eBay for a great price. That is where I got mine. :) I hope this helped.

on 3/20/2014 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I've had this for about five years, maybe a little longer, and it still looks as new as the day I bought it. The quality is excellent. It's held its shape perfectly throughout constant washings, and it's the only brush that works for me when I tightline. I use it with a couple of LM's cake liners and I get such a nice, precise effect with no fuss. It took me a few tries to get the hang of using the brush and tight lining with it but once I did it's as quick to use as a regular pencil liner.

The handle is a good length, the bristles are a great blunt shape, and they're soft enough not to feel like they're poking at my eyelid. I wash it regularly with an antibacterial hand soap and just sort of press the bristles together gently immediately afterwards so it dries correctly. This is one of my most used brushes and I've even used it to fill in my brows in a pinch when I was traveling and left my angled brow brush at home. A must have brush for me!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is an incredible brush. I have the travel-sized version, so I can get up super-close to the mirror. I use it for tightlining and for regular liner. Just get the brush wet, wiggle it around a bit in your favorite shadow, and apply to the base of the lashes. Build it up if you prefer a thicker line. Or use LM's cake liners for awesome tightlining. I suck at pencils, I can't keep my hand steady enough for a clean application. Same with gel liners. But this brush makes it pretty much foolproof to define my eyes.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I love this brush with the Laura Mercier Tightliner Cake. It is just the right size to get just where I want it. The bristles are just right, being stiff but not hard enough to hurt your eyes. It also hasn't frayed at all. The downfall is that the handle is a little to long, so you can't get super super close to the mirror, but I can work with it. It was a little more expensive than I would usually pay, but I really like it, so I am glad I bought it. If you buy the LM Cake Eyeliner, I would recommend this brush! I am actually thinking of buying another one.

on 4/30/2011 9:45:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I absolutely love this brush. I couldn't get the hang of tightlining until I bought this brush. Yes, it's expensive, but it is totally worth the price. I tried to find an equivalent brush in the painting section at Michaels, but I couldn't find one that had the right balance of softness and stiffness. I use the LM Flat Eyeliner Brush to tightline with gel liners or with dampened powder shadows/liners. To tightline with this brush, I get some product on the brush, then hold it parallel to my lashes and wiggle the brush into the base of my lashes from the underside of them. It also works well to create a smoky line when brushed along the tops of the lashes with dry powder shadows/liners.

on 4/23/2010 2:08:00 PM

When new, this brush is fantastic. But, over time, it gradually becomes harder and harder to get an accurate line because the bristles don't remain completely flat at the end after repeated washing of the brush. I find that I have to replace the brush about every six months, which is annoying considering how expensive it is. I haven't found any other brush that comes close, which is why I continue to buy this one. It's that good.

PROS: Would be good for someone who wants a soft brush that is not too firm and doesn't mind that the line won't stay thin for long.

CONS: Well, the brush gets a little fluffy or expanded at the top pretty quickly, and because of that, it makes keeping the application line to a fine line difficult. Not firm enough for me, especially for tightlining purposes.

ALTERNATES: Sephora Professional Flat Eyeliner Brush #16 is better but may be too firm for some. I love the Trish McEvoy #11 brush for this purpose; it's firm but soft and has held it's shape a long time.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I'm a sucker when it comes to eyelining, as my eyes are rather deep set, so I need to draw a super thin and precise line otherwise eyeliner just looks rubbish on me. THIS brush is a godsend. It allows for the most perfect application ever, you just push it against your lashline until you have covered it all. And it's incredibly easy to use! No smudging, no stains to remove with Q-tips, etc. It literally takes 20 seconds to do both eyes. I love to use it with Bobbi Brown gel liner or MAC fluidline, but it also turned out pretty good with liquid eyeliners when they have bad applicators. It's expensive, but worth it!