John Frieda Go Blonder Lightening Shampoo

John Frieda Go Blonder Lightening Shampoo

3.5

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Lactic Acid, Glycol Distearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Betaine, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract (Matricaria), Citrus Medica Limonum Peel Extract (Lemon), Curcuma Longa Root Extract (Turmeric), Crocus Sativus Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus Seed Extract (Sunflower), Vitis Vinifera Juice Extract (Grape), Vitis Vinifera Seed Extract (Grape), Glycerin, Benzyl Alcohol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Cocamide MEA, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycine, Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Xylene Sulfonate, Malic Acid, Tocopherol, Disodium EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance, Yellow 10

PLEASE PLEASE DONT USE. I am always ignoring bad reviews when there are more good ones. I've been using this for a couple of weeks and had begun to notice painful lumps on my scalp. I was feeling around yesterday and felt the biggest bald patch at the back of my head. I am horrified. I have noticed more small ones here and there and my whole head is just tingling. Throwing this away and using some natural products from now on. My hair is the same dark blonde and it's staying that way. Not worth going bald. Don't use this, don't even give it a try. I probably won't get all my hair back. This is just the worst. I'm only writing this review to warn people. Just be sensible and go for natural stuff. Get some highlights, whatever. I bleached my hair for 10 years and never had any problems like this.

This product defenitely does what it claims it will do. I have blonde highlights throughout most of my hair because I wanted to go lighter for the summer/fall. I've had multiple people tell me my hair looks lighter and lighter every time they see me, I'm assuming its from this product. However, I've never lost more hair in the shower than I have when I've used this product. Huge amounts of hair falls out of my head and I end up collecting it all in a big ball after the shower. It's kind of scary. Even after drying my hair and brushing it out, hair still falls out. Also, my scalp is so itchy, dry and irritated that the skin of my scalp comes off when I brush it after I use this product. Because of this, I wouldn't buy this product again.

To Read all 115 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This didn't work for me at all. I was hoping to gradually lighten my hair a little, esp my root area. I have natural light brown hair but after a few uses I saw no lightening at all. Plus like another reviewer I lost much more hair in the shower than normal. In the trash it goes!😞

on 9/10/2015 3:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I really like this shampoo. I have blonde highlighted hair, and it does make my hair lighter, brighter and healthier.I use it with go blonder mask and it really works.

on 8/23/2015 2:39:00 PM

This stuff really works! I have dark brown hair, and was interested in doing a bit of a natural-looking ombr effect, so I picked this up at Shoppers Drug Mart for about $10, and used it on the ends of my hair only. It has such a pleasant colour and smell, and lathers nicely. I would run it through the ends of my hair, lather, then leave it on for about 3 or 4 minutes before rinsing. I saw lightening results within a few uses, and although it was slightly drying, it's nothing a good conditioner or mask can't fix. I recommended this to a friend who has light brunette hair dyed blonde, and she found that using it on her roots only meant that she didn't have to go for touch ups as often!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I actually really like this stuff! It has a very subtle lemon scent, lathers well and comes in a bright yellow bottle. I do not have any issues with dryness in my hair--ever--and this stuff is no exception. Keep in mind, though I have stick straight, fine hair (but a LOT of it). If you have dry hair, curly or damaged...I can't speak for you if this would exacerbate the problem but it definitely did NOT dry mine out at all.
After dyeing my pixie hair blonde I noticed the golden tones really bugged me. I started off as a medium golden blonde (I am normally a 'dirty' blonde) and after a couple uses I can definitely tell that the golden/brassy tones have been reduced causing it to definitely look lighter.
(yes, I use the conditioner too).
If something changes, I'll come back and change the review but all in all I really actually like this stuff. Cheaper and easier than buying a toner for sure.
(keep in mind that my hair isn't very dark to begin with...someone who is a natural brunette who has dyed it blonde/r might not have the same results...I assume since my hair is closer to blonde it might work a bit better....).

on 6/14/2015 5:43:00 PM

I used this when I had dyed my hair blonde and I loved it ,definitely does what it says it'll do. I prefer my natural dark brown hair but if I ever went blonde I'd buy this again.

on 3/18/2015 11:45:00 AM

I have dark blonde hair and I began to see results with this shampoo after about a week of daily use. My natural highlights looked shinier and brighter. However, this made my hair fall out much more than usual! It became extremely dry, not bouncy, kind of rough and hay-like. I had to stop using it after a few weeks and went back to more moisturizing, less harsh shampoos. The hair loss stopped as soon as I switched back.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this shampoo a while back when I was previously trying to enhance my blondliness. Ironically enough, I'm attempting to go back to blonde (will I ever learn?) and of course now I'm buying all the hair care products geared towards my goal.
This shampoo did smell nice to me and got a great lather. I don't recall if it's sulfate free or not but it is very drying. Which is understandable, i.e. nature of the beast.
But it got to the point that I was using it daily for maximum efforts and my hair was just turning to straw, on top of the bi weekly highlighting I was doing to get lighter.

Fast forward to present and I'm thinking of opting for something more for babying my hair and repairing it than further ruining it. lol.

Oh and it did work, once I was using it on a daily, but I think it made my blonde lean towards brassy.
It's not expensive and you can find it anywhere so I say give it a shot.

on 2/24/2015 10:20:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I bought this product because I wanted to get rid of the red tones in my hair. I recently bleached my black hair, and died it red and now that the red is fading I'm left with copper hair, with bright red roots. I would really like to get the red out, so that my hair is the light ginger color that is was before I died it red.
So I seen this shampoo at walmart when I was looking for a heat protector.
What intrigued me was the "lightening" part that this shampoo claims to do.
So I bought it, I didn't bother getting the conditioner because I always use the Macadamia oil conditioner by OGX.
The first time I used the shampoo I fell in love with the way it lathered, and how amazing it smelled. It smells a lot like lemon meringue pie.
I didn't notice a change right away, but the second time I used it I noticed that a lot of my red hair, especially in the ends, is now a light orange.
I don't understand why it says to use it daily, because it is super drying and my hair is already dry enough since it is winter and -40 outside. But I will definitely be using this every time I wash my hair (every three days) until my hair is the color that I want.

I highly recommend using a good conditioner and a deep conditioning treatment every time you use this shampoo, or your hair will feel like straw and be more prone to breakage.

Popular Shampoos