Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Pull-Apart Brush

Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Pull-Apart Brush

3.2

on 10/25/2011 6:24:00 AM

Poorly designed receptable: capping action continuously caught hair to such an extent that brush head permanently bent and product now useless.

on 7/31/2009 9:53:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I've been using this product for the past 4 years. I believe it's the only high-end retractable concealer brush on the market. I would used to pull the silver part of the handle whenever i wanted to dismantle the brush, and with my first 2 brushes, the silver part would come off. Luckily for me, Bloomingdale's has a great exchange policy and exchanged it for me both times.

After the 2 exchanges, I had a good one, which I used for about 3 years. I used and washed it daily, and over the years there was some splaying. Overall though, it's great quality -- soft yet firm with excellent precision. I lost it and bought another one.

Seems like the new design of the brush has a more rounded tip, but the precision is still impeccable. I lost it yet again, and bought another one.

There's no brush on the market like this, and luckily, the quality is great when you get a good batch (like another reviewer said).

on 3/13/2009 3:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I'm adding this here because there's no entry for the regular Secret Camouflage Brush.

This is a very nice brush that does exactly what it was designed to do, but...it costs an arm and a leg. The only reason I have one is it comes with the Flawless Face Kit they sell at Sephora. I would never spend this kind of money on a brush. I spent many years as a buyer for an artists supply store, and you can easily get equivalent brushes at any art supply for less than one fifth the price. For everyday usage, I use a Loew-Cornell La Corneille Series 7000 #4 filbert brush that I got at A.C. Moore for less than five dollars, which is a virtual duplicate of the Laura Mercier brush. The Loew-Cornell brush has a slightly longer handle which doesn't fit into the LM case that came with the set, so the LM brush is what I use on the road.

If you like synthetic brushes like this LM brush, or others in her line like the Flat Eyeliner brush, go to your local art supply and pick up some of these Loew-Cornell brushes instead. You'll save a ton of money, and get exactly the same performance. I keep a #6 shader at home to use instead of the Flat Eyeliner brush, and a #2 round for when I want a pointed eyeliner brush. All three of these cost me about ten dollars.

My other brushes are all EcoTools, which are cheap and work like a dream!

on 4/8/2008 6:33:00 PM

Not impressed. Hair fell out right away. Rough. Didn't wash well (even with proper make-up soap). Just seems to be a cheap quality brush ostensibly for a product touted as high-end.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I have had this brush going on three years and just as many compacts of secret concealer and undercover. Great, high quality brush which is easy to clean. I think the previous reviewer must have gotten a bad batch because mine is three years old and at one point was getting daily use (now more weekly) with no deformities or problems whatsoever. I would get this one before I got the full size were I to buy again, because I like travel brushes. Laura Mercier brushes seem to be good when they are good, but victims a bit too frequently of bad batches, she needs to have a come to Jeebus with her supplier about consistency in production. I have had good luck with all her brushes and prefer LM brushes to mac, bobbi brown, trish mcevoy...Laura's are the best (well and Shu, my other love)!

on 2/17/2004 8:36:00 PM

This is an terrible, terrible brush! It started splaying after just a few uses. If it stayed intact, I would be happy with it. It has firm yet soft bristles. And it worked great for precision work. But now it's falling apart.

Popular Makeup Brushes