4.6

package quality

price range

Reviews

4 months ago

Marvelous concealer for mature and/or dry skin. It covers dark circles without highlighting wrinkles.

About reviewer (22 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBrown

EyesHazel

3 years ago

This is absolutely my holy grail concealer. For me, concealer is the single most important makeup product. I have dark undereye circles which make me look exhausted and ill if I don't cover them up. I also have quite dry skin under my eyes and a lot of concealers end up looking patchy and creased. It's hard for a concealer to do the job of concealing without making the whole eye area look 'flat' in the process. Brightening and illuminating concealers aim to address that issue but rarely deliver - coverage is usually too sheer and difficult to build. Sometimes they end up veering into color correcting rather than concealing, which rarely turns out well, at least in my experience. By Terry's Touche Veloutee is none of the above. It's really in a league of its own and since I first tried it 3 years ago, I've never really strayed from it (ok, I've dabbled in some other concealers but in the end I always come back to the Touche Veloutee with even more appreciation for it.) Detailed overview of my thoughts below: SHADE: I have the Touche Veloutee in both Porcelain #1 and Cream #2. I first bought it in Cream based on swatches online and reviews which seemed to indicate Cream was a pretty universal shade for fair/fair-medium skin. In the end, Cream ended up being too dark and yellow-tinged for my very neutrally undertoned, leaning towards cool N15 skin. It wasn't unworkable - I still occasionally mix a dab of it with Porcelain to conceal darker blemishes - but it ended up making me look sallow in the undereye area and didn't blend into my skin perfectly. One thing I would recommend keeping in mind if you buy Cream is that I noticed it has a tendency to oxidise once you open the tube - not on your face but in the tube itself which obviously then affects the colour on your face. So it ends up a shade to a shade and a half darker (in MAC terms) after a span of six months or so. By that point, it's practically ochre and totally unworkable for me. Anyway, I loved the formula, and so I moved on and tried Porcelain, the lightest shade. It has a petal pink cast to it but the base of the formula itself is a pale creamy ivory, so the pink tones are muted and don't dominate. In fact, the little touch of pink brightens up the undereye area and really makes me look 'fresh' in the glowy, youthful sense of the word. One thing to note about pink based concealers is that there's a big difference between the light petal pink in the Touche Veloutee Porcelain versus the warm salmon-pink verging on apricot colour of the other By Terry concealer (Touch Expert) in #1 Fresh Fair. The latter is flattering on almost nobody while the former is great at delivering an illuminated, brightened effect, regardless of whether you have cool or warm skin. FORMULATION: This is a lovely satiny texture that is neither luminous nor matte in finish. It is extremely easy to blend (I like using my fingers) and really melts seamlessly the skin, provided of course that the shade is a good match. It's also quite buildable so you can achieve a pretty high level of coverage if you need to (although I do find that too much layering sometimes ends up looking powdery). I mainly use this under my eyes and it's great not just as a concealer but as an all around eye primer, evening out the colour of my lids and providing a nice base for eyeshadow. It's also very good at evening out redness around the nose, mouth and chin. For blemishes, I don't think this is the ideal concealer (I prefer a stick concealer for that). But if I'm in a pinch, I dab a bit on my hand - not on the blemish - and then apply directly to the blemish with a precision concealer brush. Whichever part of my face I'm applying it, I set afterwards with a light dusting of translucent powder to set it in place. I live in a humid climate so that's necessary for me, may not be for you. PACKAGING: I love click wand packaging so I'm a little biased but gosh, this is good. First of all, the amount of product you get is fantastic - there's easily 3x the amount of the By Terry Touch Expert, the YSL Touche Éclat or the Chantecaille Le Camouflage Stylo. Yes, this is expensive but I think in terms of cost per ounce, this one is actually a good deal. It has a paddle-shaped brush applicator which the product is dispensed through (one click is more than enough for my eyes, btw) and which theoretically you could use to apply directly. Personally, I find the brush a little stiff and in any case prefer my fingers anyway, especially in the delicate undereye area. Another thing about the applicator brush is that it will splay out if you don't replace the cap properly so mine tend to look a little mangy towards the end of their shelf life. I find that the tube itself is a little bulky/heavy but that's because it simply contains more product so I can live with it. I do leave this one at home and keep a less weighty concealer in my purse for any necessary touch ups (which are rare). Aesthetically, the packaging of the Touche Veloutee is in keeping with its price, as it should be. The tube itself is luxurious and golden and the gold doesn't corrode or peel off or anything like that. It is unfortunately very prone to getting smudgy, esp if you apply with fingers like I do. Can't have everything though. Bottom line: I love this concealer and I highly recommend it - it is WAY better than the other concealer in the By Terry line so for any of you who are debating between the two, go with the Touche Veloutee! Colour matching with By Terry products in general is frankly not the easiest thing to do and it may be best to try and have a look in store before buying (or else rigorously pore through the online swatches!) That said, I say it's worth the effort and the price. I have FOUR backups of the Touche Veloutee in Porcelain (just counted!). That's how much I love this stuff. Overall grade from me: A+++++

About reviewer (88 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinSensitive, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

EyesBlack

3 years ago

I use this concealer to hide occasional break-outs and for this purpose it is brilliant. It is very light but blends well covering my imperfections and stays put all day. since I use mineral powder foundation I need my concealer to be light but efficient. I have not tried it as a under eye concealer. It is pricey but the product lasts forever making the price more reasonable.

About reviewer (7 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Curly, Medium

3.0

4 years ago

I was very disappointed by this product as an under eye concealer. As background I am 32 with a few fine lines under my eyes and ALOT of dryness - Im always on the hunt for an under eye concealer that doesnt highlight lines and dryness - this really does :( It sits really badly under my eyes, creases, and just cakes horribly! I was so surprised such a luxury brand looked so bad. However - this is a decent concealer for elsewhere on the face - it covers redness on my cheeks well and it blends in really well. However I wouldnt say that it justifys the price tag. there are lots of good reviews here for this item and by and large By Terry is a faultless brand - I'm a huge fan - this product just wasnt for me.

About reviewer (146 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

4 years ago

Expensive, but the tube is massive (at least twice the size of ysl touche eclat). If this concealer were only for covering uneven skin tone and blemishes, I would give it five stars - it's amazing on that front, as it blends seamlessly and provides high coverage without being greasy/obvious. However, using it on my under eye area is disastrous as it sets to a powder finish and settles into every crease and wrinkle. I will repurchase though, and use as a straight forward concealer - defo one of the worst under eye concealers, but one of the best spot-covering complexion smoothers.

About reviewer (45 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Warm

HairRed, Wavy, Medium

6 years ago

Oh this concealer is just divine! Apparently the same person is also the genius behind YSL Touche Eclat. I've been using it for approx the last 2 years and I'm currently on my 3rd tube (or is it pen?). I use it pretty much every day so it really does last. I buy it from Space NK. The concealer itself is a lovely creamy texture that glides smoothly onto the skin. Once blended, you don't even notice it's there (well apart from the obvious fact that it's covered the things you want to hide). I have pretty light skin (NW20) and use it in Cream. I use it with my foundation or on it's own to cover the odd few blemishes and to hide the minimal discolouration I have under my eyes. The coverage lasts all day too and never goes blotchy or slides off the skin. The only thing I honestly dislike about the product is that the brush is too big and using it applies too much product on my face. Instead I use my finger or a concealer brush to apply, which honestly isn't an issue for me. Tip: When you think the tube is empty it's really not, there's still LOTS of product left! I struggle a bit to get the brush end off, to get to the inner tube. Not very travel-friendly after this but definitely worth it for the extra product. Update Sept 2016: Still using this, it's just as beautiful, luxurious and silky as ever. But I have a mini rant - the price has went up so much! I bought one around Christmas 2015 for £33 I think. I ran out recently a bought another for £38.50! What the hell! How can a product go up in price that much in less than a year? Might start looking around for a cheaper one. This tube will last me for another 8/9 months so plenty of time.

About reviewer (10 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

from

7 years ago

This is another winner By Terry. Worth every penny!

About reviewer (8 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Other

7 years ago

I've tried so many of these types of products and they either dry out my under eye area or they fall into small creases. This is the best. It stays put, I don't need to reapply & doesn't dry my skin (Armani's under eye concealed does, ysl falls into creases, so does Givenchy's & that one has larger light reflecting particles that look noticeable on day light). By Terry's is perfect & while there are only 3 colors, it works great for me & my dark circles (& bags from working too late). Runner up (& more budget friendly) is actually origins- I tried it on a fluke. By Terry might be more costly, but it's both a concealer & highlighter/brightener . So you get a 2 in 1. The texture is smooth, and light (not too heavy/cakey). It applies really easily & a little goes a long way. I don't use the brush to blend it in, instead I apply with the brush in dots in key areas, then blend. I don't even need to touch up at the end of the day. I like the packaging a lot, it's beautiful, but large so I gave it a 4

About reviewer (5 reviews)

SkinOily

HairBrown

8 years ago

I set this product a huge challenge today (it just arrived this morning) as I was out late last night and had a couple (ahem) of glasses of wine, then had to get up at 6.30am. So far I am very impressed with the product as an under eye concealer. It doesn't seem to cake - I find that YSL Touche eclat can gather in those tiny creases (I don't really have wrinkles yet) and looks too cakey if you're trying to cover really tired circles - but this doesn't. It is a lovely silky texture, which turns to a matte finish. Possibly if you had very dry skin you might find it a little too dry, but for me (I have normal - combination skin) it is great - and the packaging is nice. Definitely pricey, but I think you really do get what you pay for with under eye concealers as they have one of the trickiest jobs on such delicate skin! I would definitely get this again and will be recommending it to friends and sisters! The only thing I would say is that I am confused by another reviewer saying it runs dark. I bought it in Porcelain (the lightest shade) and it is VERY light. I have fair to pale skin, and this is almost TOO light on me. It's ok, but I'm pretty sure the next one down would be slightly better, certainly if I had any tan at all.

About reviewer (17 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBlond

8 years ago

I love this product. It is so much better than YSL Touche Eclat. It is more expensive, but you get twice as much product. I put it under my eyes and everywhere else on my face where I need concealing. It stays put, does not crease. I will say that it runs dark. I usually wear a light, but in this product I purchased porcelain. I will never be without. Highly recommend!!!!

About reviewer (64 reviews)

Age56 & Over