MAC Cosmetics Mineralize Skinfinish Natural - Dark

4.4

on 11/12/2013 2:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Other

I really wanted to like this after all of the positive reviews, but after having it applied at the MAC store, my boyfriend said 'wow, you look sparkly' (not what I'm going for) and I had a suspicion that it broke me out. I tried it again at home, and didn't like the too sheer coverage (by itself), too cakey coverage on top of my tinted moisturizer, and very visible points of shimmer that you could see all over my face in bright light. This one is going back...

on 8/30/2010 11:22:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I bought this powder while on holiday in Paris. When I went into MAC, my face looked like an oil-slick, and I was just looking for a quick fix to tone the oiliness down a little. MAC was somewhat of a God-send. I decided to try MAC Mineralize and was surprised at how effective this powder. It not only toned down the oiliness, but it looked so natural (very unlike Studio Fix, which I still like but can make me look "made-up"). I applied 187 duo fibre brush and was able to build up the powder nicely (I bought the brush as well ;-) ). The result was an even and fresh look. I have to add that it doesn't do much for coverage (if you have dark spots, etc.), so I wouldn't use it in the stead of foundation, for example. However, it does make you look fresh, even and natural. I would definitely repurchase if I ever finish the powder in this life time (I have never finished make up - not even a lip gloss...).
5 lippies!!

on 5/1/2010 6:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

This would have been my HG powder because it is so lovely on the skin, but I noticed that every time I used it I would get little tiny bumps all over my face the next day. So, lately I have been using the pressed powder in Heat by NARS, which I just love. I would have kept using this if it did not break me out.

on 2/25/2010 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Other

This is one of the few makeup products that I have bought multiple times and have "hit pan" with. I usually only want light coverage on a day-to-day basis. I have acne prone skin, so foundation everyday is a major no-no for me. This gives my skin a smooth finish that let's my skin shine through. It is a bit expensive - close to thirty bucks a pop, but it lasts a while. I use my MAC kabuki brush (182, I believe) to buff this into my skin and it last me a few hours, depending on the weather. I also own MAC's blotting powder in Dark to help it out in the summer months. I tried finding a cheaper alternative with Revlon, but that was a waste of money. Oh, and for people who use foundation, I think this would be a great finishing powder.

on 10/6/2009 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

Hmmm. I like this powder, I do, but it doesn't always work the way I want it to. For that reason, I would only give it 3 lippies but I love the warm color! ... so it gets 4. I finally realized this is not a stand alone product, for me at least, and use accordingly.

I tried this in the MAC store and she gave me the version that is darker than this - Deep Dark I think it's called. MAC makeup people really get on my nerves sometimes. They always want to stick me in a darker color range by matching foundation to a few darker tones in my skin. They don't do that for fair skinned ladies! Maybe they do, idk. But, after my skin adjusts to it and it oxidizes, I look a shadowy mess because the color is too dark/red/and/or sallow. You match the foundation to the *lighter* tones of your skin - the overall tone, not the dark shadows here and there. UGH!! Rant over....

Anyway, I exchanged it the next day for the "Dark." I find that I need some sort of primer with this for it to perform at its best. Today I used Chanel Matt Lumiere. It looks fantastic dusted over with a Kabuki brush. Or if I moisturize and use a powder foundation, and THEN use this it looks really nice. When used alone, it either looks like nothing - like I just brushed air on my face, or it looks very heavy because in an effort to 'build' the light/medium coverage, I end up piling on too much.

So, I'd say this is a great "in addition to..." powder. I use it when I feel like my skin looks dull to brighten me up with a warm glow... it's my HG Bronzer for sure!!

Like I mentioned, I LOVE the color, and even though I am a dark hued sista, my undertones are very yellow. This powder is very orange/yellow and brings a healthy natural glow to my skin that really no other powder does! My other powders do match well, but they tone down some of my yellow glow and can look ashy if I'm not careful to blend and mix, if that makes sense.

Overall very silkly and nice when applied right and with the right tools. I'm on the fence about buying again only because I'm transitioning to mineral makeup.

on 5/26/2009 11:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I love this powder. I love MAC, Bobbi Brown, Chanel & Lancome makeup (I loved Loreal True Match - BUT the ingredients are horrible and it gets rancid. Ick!). I have had luck with these brands because they have a broader range of dark pigments with yellow undertones. It used to be soooo hard for me to find colors that matched my skin tone. I think I went through age 19 - 26 with the wrong color makeup on! lol. I read some reviews about this shade being orangy, and I could totally see that on a deep brown skin chica with red undertones. For me though, it's perfect! I also use the Deep Dark version on my cheeks and to highlight sometimes. A little goes a long way (make sure to tap the excess off the brush before you apply) and you do need a really good brush to apply this evenly.

on 4/9/2009 9:28:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

Again, another product by MAC that I love so much. Even though I'm NC30 (but like to wear NC35), Dark works for me. I will never need to go on a sunbed again! And goodbye fake tan! It's so golden, there's no rose or anything in this which makes me look ruddy and strange. Just a natural looking golden glow. Love it and would repurchase 100%.