MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural - Dark

3.5

on 11/12/2013 2:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Other

I really wanted to like this after all of the positive reviews, but after having it applied at the MAC store, my boyfriend said 'wow, you look sparkly' (not what I'm going for) and I had a suspicion that it broke me out. I tried it again at home, and didn't like the too sheer coverage (by itself), too cakey coverage on top of my tinted moisturizer, and very visible points of shimmer that you could see all over my face in bright light. This one is going back...

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I've been using this pressed powder in Dark for years after having such bad luck with drugstore powders. It matches my skin tone perfectly. When setting my foundation, it adds a nice glow to my skin, hence the 'natural' in the product name, I guess?? LOL. I agree with other reviewers that it is rather pricey, but I enjoy the quality of the product.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This was a very good product I bought mines in medium deep. Which may be a little orange for me but the lightest shade is way too light. I love how I can just wear this with concealer under and I look good. The lasting power is ok I get a little oily but not as much as when I wear liquid foundation. I don't have much to cover up so it provides me with just enough coverage.

on 6/13/2011 9:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Hello! For my first make up review I had to start with my favourite product!
Now I love mac, its reasonably priced for quality products. I'm a make up artist and my professional and personal kit is mainly mac. I found this product while I was in a depression and I decided to drown myself if the comfort of make up, and boy I'm glad I did!

I have a medium dark skin tone, and while I was looking in the mirror I realised I had a brown - sugar colour to my skin and I decided I wanted to make more of a feature of it. So i dyed my jet black hair to a pink/purple tone which really warmed my skin up. Then I invested in Mineralize, I started with the foundation - the compact version as it is more moisturising. Then I thought why not follow it up with the skinfinish powder? I had used it in makeover studios and it gave clients and instant glow and even skin tone. So I went for dark - even though the shade above would have been my actual colour, but I wanted a tanned skin look.

Not only does it make my skin instantly glow, look even, tanned it gives good coverage and its buildable to your hearts content. I have to say the foundation is nothing without the powder. You can easily wear the powder alone as a base - like my sister does. Since using Skinfinish I get regular compliments, like you look glowing or have you come off holiday? It really gives you a sexy skin, and since using it - i've got 2 other people hooked on the stuff!

Now the price 23 in the UK (may be more now) but i wouldn't know because I haven't had to repurchase it yet! The price is a trade off for how long it lasts and the effect it gives you.

Its a HG for me, I'm in love with it, God bless mac cosmetics!!

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I am NC45 and I bought this because I felt it would give me a "glow". It looked nice initially, but as the day wore on, it oxidized. It looked like I was trying to wear orange blush all over my face. I will try to figure out another way to use this.

on 10/30/2009 2:04:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I use this as a contour/ bronzer powder since Dark is 2 shades darker than my actual skin tone. I don't think I will repurchase this for that purpose again. It is better suited as a finishing powder. It seems to oxidize a bit and I'm too yellow to use a warm toned contour powder. I will use it as a bronzer though until I get through this pan. I can't wait to try MAC's Matte Bronze. At least an actual bronzer has a mirror.

on 10/26/2009 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

i love this, it gives a very natural look, ie it doesnt take away your natural glow. i used to use the select sheer, but since i found this ive never looked back! love it!!!!

im an n45 i use the dark as a powder and use the deep dark for contouring.

so ive discovered that the 109 brush from MAC applies this AMAZINGLY, LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. you get a fantastic finish unlike any other brush.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

If you'd asked me a week after buying this, I'd have said I loved it. I used it as a bronzer / contour, and even though it gives quite light coverages, it had a very pretty shimmer. HOWEVER after about three weeks I realised I had broken out horrendously, in the exact area where I put it (in perfectly symmetrical C-shapes from my temple to the apples of my cheeks).

Skinfinish obviously has a comedogenic ingredient - I'm guessing something similar to cornstarch that I reacted to very badly. I know other people use it without any problems, so I'm writing this as a warning, just in case anyone else has a similar skin type to mine.

My horrendous time with Skinfinish doesn't diminish my love for any other MAC products though, I'll just chalk this one up to experience. (Although I'm still bitter about the post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation that's still there months later). Ah well, c'est la vie. x