Daylong Actinica - Spirig Pharma

Daylong Actinica - Spirig Pharma

4.8

Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Isoamyl p-Methoxycinnamate, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Methylene bis-Benzotriazolyl Tetramethylbutylphenol, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Excipient

on 9/3/2016 5:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hmm, I've got a love/hate relationship with this sunscreen.

Let us start with the pros:

-Excellent sunscreen protection
-PPD rating above 20(asked their company directly to confirm)
-Pump usage delivers exact amount + their pamphlet mentions how many pump per skin area is needed
-Affordable(80g for around £20)

Cons:

-STICKY AF (the kind of tackiness that makes it hard to rub in)
-Super dewy finish(great for my dry patches, but I'm not someone that likes a dewy finish)
-White cast(slight white cast, I am an NC35 ish and this leaves me looking I've definitely got something on my face without that super white cast that physical sunscreens give)

Overall, this is the sunscreen for you if you're looking for a no-frills affordable sunscreen option. This is NOT the sunscreen for you if you want something lightweight and easy to absorb, or something cosmetically elegant. If you're a user of Japanese sunscreens you'd HATE this one.

So why do I still use this then? Because it's very good at sun protection, simple as that. Ever since using Retin A and Azealic acid I need something that'll guarantee me protection and this does exactly that.

Also, you're going to need it to absorb for at least 45 mins before you go out. After it absorbs into your skin it'll leave you looking really glowy and nice.

This isn't your best option if you want something quick and easy to apply before you dash out the door. You really gotta leave it on and do its job before you go out.

I use a total of 4 pumps= 2 pumps for my face + 1 pump for my neck + 1 pump for my décolleté(if wearing something low cut)

Definitely tie your hair up before you apply this, if not your hair will stick to your face and it'll just be a greasy mess.

Overall, it's not easy to use but it's really good. Sunscreen is one of the proven factors to decrease skin wrinkling, hyper pigmentation, etc. So do invest in a good sunscreen even if this particular one does not appeal to you.

**Update**: (24th Sept 2016) I only use 1 and a half-ish pump for the face now given that 2 pumps seems way too hard to be rubbed in to my skin especially when I'm in a rush.

With that being said, I think 1 pump should be sufficient enough for facial use given that this sunscreen was made in mind for skin cancer patients, those particularly not susceptible to melanoma could possibly get away with using 1 pump. (Just my though, did not confirm with the company though)

I am using the Cetaphil Suntivity Liposomal Lotion SPF 50 version of this, which I am pretty sure is the exact same formulation as Actinica, just at a lower price point. It has the exact same sunscreen ingredients. It's also very dewy and shiny, it's very good for dry skin. This works really well with makeup, both dewy and matte foundations. Before this I was using another Cetaphil Suntivity sunscreen but it was discontinued so now I'm using this.

Anyway this sunscreen works REALLY well. It uses new generation Tinosorb S&M which I believe is far superior than any other actives on the market. My skin tone used to be around NC 25/30, now I'm NC 20 which shows how well it works. This helps with pigmentation a lot, I don't have any new pigmentation from last summer and have never been sunburnt with this on. This is my HG face sunscreen. However I only use this on my face, it's way too heavy on my body. I use Trishave SPF 30 on my neck and Cancer Council Active Dry Touch SPF 50 on my arms.

To Read all 6 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I got this 50+ SPF free with a fillers package at Aust Skin Clinics and was dubious about why they'd be giving away a full sized pricey sunscreen. But all suspicions aside I LOVE this sunscreen. It's this high tech new type of spf called liposomal, which I understand to mean it absorbs in the top layer of skin and no further, reducing chemical absorption in your body. It's kind of a weird product to use and you only need 1 pump not 2 for the face. It will leave a shiny tacky finish to the skin but not oily or sticky like Invisible Zinc. I've been trialling with matte fdtn for that reason. It gives life to matte fdtn like ELDW. I'm excited to see what it does for NARS All Day Luminous! It worked nicely with KvD tattoo lock-it. The luminous look we are all going for these days makes this SPF more wearable for me. Back in my heavy flat powdered days I probably couldn't have used this! The reason I like it (fdtn base aside) is that it has improved my pigmentation 100%. I read another review saying the same thing. I sometime apply SPF not knowing if it's actually doing anything and just feeling like I have to, or that I'm investing in my future face. With Actinica I actually have seen results. Freckles are lighter and skin is more even overall. Which means I use less makeup! Win! I will be purchasing this, no doubt about it. Ps when you pump it out, spread it over your whole face lightning fast, it will look white, then press into your skin till it's all absorbed. Leave for 3-5 mins at least before applying fdtn because when I haven't done this my makeup won't set. When I do, it sets perfectly fine and I look alive.

EDIT my SPF story: I grew up allergic to sunscreens so never used them. They all gave me a weird sandy texture to my skin! All bumpy and awful. Fast forward to my mid 20s and I gingerly tested a few and found my HGs. These are invisible zinc tinted 30+, QV 30+ moisturiser, sun sense 50+ tinted matte. I like 50+ ideally but sun sense actually gave me that reaction again after 2 yes of use. So I'm taking a break and will go back to it soon. It's the best overall as it doesn't interfere with makeup application. Actinica is still the most effective!

on 8/30/2014 6:42:00 AM

(Edited) I was prescribed it for melasma by a dermatologist, and having checked out the ingredients it really is the top for protection. I've used it now for almost three weeks daily, though this is post-holiday (wish I'd known about it BEFORE the summer, then my melasma probably wouldn't have worsened...) No break-outs, maybe a couple of blocked pores - for my clog-prone skin that is fabulous. No irritation. No dryness, in fact unless you have flaky areas there is no need for moisturiser underneath this sunscreen.
I have used Actinica every day because I'm also doing treatment with hydroquinine so effective protection is a must. (Skin lightening treatment without religious use of s/s is at best ineffective and at worst the blotches may darken even more.) This regime has resulted in significant fading of the blotches in less than three weeks (ok they weren't really dark to begin with, but I am pale).
The downside is that this is possibly the most cosmetically inelegant s/s ever. It does not leave any white cast (it turns transparent within seconds of application) but it is so shiny, I look like I literally slathered oil all over my face. It's also extremely sticky, and the stickiness doesn't go away. The application directions are clear: 2 pumps for the face, otherwise the protection is weakened, apparently. But I find I just cannot use 2 pumps on a daily basis, it's an enormous amount of goop... so I do one pump and add a bit more over the most important areas. That still leaves my skin pretty tacky to touch.
I can get rid of the shine by waiting 15 minutes and carefully applying transparent loose powder (I use MUFE), but foundation and concealer are difficult to apply on top of the tacky finish. It depends on the foundation, I guess - I managed well today with Paula's Choice all bases covered (which I'm trialling), but haven't tried it yet with my normal NARS sheer glow. Usually, if I wear Actinica all over, I go without makeup and just use powder. If I needed to look polished for work, however, I would use a different sunscreen product because with this the shine does come through in the course of the day. So: great product that appears effective and gentle on skin - but with a sinifiant downside considering daily use in a work environment. I give it 4* than! I'll definitely use this on holiday next summer though!

on 1/15/2014 8:01:00 AM

HI
I was very interested to read the comprehensive review by Erica 74 on this product as I have just been prescribed it by my dermatologist here in South West France and was trying to read up some information on it in English as the booklet I was given is in French . I will update this review after I have been using it for a couple of months. I have a couple of keratoses actiniques on my face so it is a medical necessity but sounds like a super efficient sunscreen to prevent others developing keratoses. It isn't funded here on the health system but well worth the price and no more than buying a La Roche Posay sunscreen or similar.

on 6/2/2009 6:01:00 AM

Hair: Other, Other, Medium

Daylong actinica will protect you from the harmful UV radiation that is part of sunlight and will prevent the development of non-melanoma skin cancer. This was proven by a 2-year study carried out on patients that were highly susceptible to the development of non-melanoma skin cancers (actinic keratosis, basal cell carcinoma & squamous cell carcinoma). Daily usage of Daylong actinica proved to be effective in the prevention of actinic keratosis and squamous cell carcinoma. Therefore Daylong actinica is essential prevention for people who are at risk from non-melanoma skin cancer (NMSC). It protects from both UVB and UVA rays. It is waterproof and contains photostable broadspectrum filters.

You cannot beat the protection this sunscreen offers and apart from all research and bibliography, backing its potency there is my experience:

I have melasma, many years now. With hydroquinone+tretinoin treatment (2004) and sunscreen everyday use, it subsided a lot. After giving birth (2006), it almost faded (a mystery yet to be solved!), but every summer it comes raging on my face, no matter how many buckets of suncreen do I slather on.
Now I discovered this (a sample was given to me in Athens Dermatology Hospital) and decided to give a full bottle a try.
Last Sunday, I was at the beach with Actinica on but with my hat missing. We spent the whole day at the beach, it was hot and the sun was intense and I was sure to come back to a face full of dark spreading blotches......NOT A SINGLE ONE!....NOT EVEN A GLIMPSE OF DARKENED PIGMENTING...Nothing!

I live in Greece and I try to use the best european sunscreen I can find. I alternate a lot, so I can hit the best. I think this is it.
Cosmetically-wise, it is a little sticky and heavy (no need for an extra moisturiser - after all you apply this on bare cleansed skin to get full protection), but with the protection it offers, this is my choice of suncreen this summer. Period.

Ingredients

UPDATE 15/7/2009: I've been using it for almost 2 months everyday, I am very very impressed! No darkening (which is a first), no breakouts, no irritation!!!!!! It is mid summer with intense sun and temperatures of 35 degrees Celcius and my dark spots have not yet made an appearance!!!! I will update again after my 2 week vacation in August.

UPDATE 11/7/2012: I don't know if it is scientifically provable but, this susncreen has made my melasma a minor skincare problem. During autumn, winter and early spring, my spots are vanished. During summertime they show but not in full force, thanks to Daylong actinica. I think this is because I've been using this all these years, my spots have faded and now they're not a problem worth mentioning. Mind, that my skincare routine has not been concentrated in skin lightening at all. So the only thing I've been using regarding my melasma was this sunscreen. The packaging has also been improved with a pump that measures the right amount for application.
Great stuff!