Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire

Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire

3.5

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

for the price of this stuff i cannot believe how awful it smells. it is incredibly strong, even one spray is headache inducing. it takes hours for that "strongness" and sharpness to dissipate but even then, smells awful. somehow this scent manages to be both sweet and sharp-loud and overpowering. its awful.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

There's part of me that feels I shouldn't like this perfume because it's everything I generally avoid. I love older scents (if a review says 'old lady perfume' I am on it!) and this is definitely targeted at a young market. It's candy-sweet, fruity and over the top. Yet it still manages to put a big smile on my face whenever I wear it.

Nb. For clarity's sake, I have the 2009 version (purple tinted bottle with a dress that looks more like Wendy's nightgown from Peter Pan).

The official notes are: Sicilian lemon, licorice, almond, rose, smoky tea, musk and vanilla.

What I get as soon as I spray this on is licorice, and candied flowers and fruits. The licorice is really amplified on my skin, and it's sweet sweet sweet! The rose is also sweet, more like a rose syrup than a fresh bloom. As it wears down, the scent takes on a musky quality and it becomes more of a candy floral than a straight gourmand.

Le Petite Robe Noir has a loud personality and wearing it is like looking at the world through a Willy Wonka lens: everything is high-contrast, unnaturally bright and slightly odd.

I honestly wish I could tell you why I like it, but I don't know. Perhaps it meshes nicely with my skin's chemistry. Or perhaps it's because it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's certainly not something that I expected from Guerlain.

LPRN is definitely in the vein of Flowerbomb and Lolita Lempicka, but I like it better than both of those option (LL was lovely but gave me terrible headaches). So if you enjoy those types of fragrances, definitely give this a shot.

Would I purchase it again? Hmmm, that's a tough one. I've said 'no' because I have to be in a certain mood to wear this scent and it's not really me. But I've enjoyed pretending to be someone else for a while.

To Read all 61 Reviews, Login or Join

on 12/29/2015 12:08:00 PM

I love this perfume!! It lasts on my skin all day and the smell is amazing! it's very sweet but not sickly. and the bottle is so pretty. I normally spray it on my wrists before work (7am) and when I come back home from work (10:30pm) I can still smell it. it's very faint by then but it's still there. I absolutely love this perfume!

on 6/27/2015 4:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Pretty girly bottle with a sweet little black dress on it. The first LPRN is the only one I really like out of all the releases, with the subsequent ones being too boring or fruity.

To me it smells mostly cherry and a bit of liquorice, among other things too that I can't label. It is sweet without bordering on straight sugar and is not like that apple DKNY one or many of the female celebrity fragrances.

I really like it even though it isn't my favourite. I do get that cherry coke vibe people mention but that appeals to me. While this is a sweet fragrance, there is that touch of darkness in there that makes it a bit richer and I think, unique. It also lasts well and you don't need more than two sprays as it has decent strength to it.

I don't wear it with a black dress but enjoy wearing it on a casual basis. While this isn't one I would reserve for special occasions I would still repurchase.

on 5/28/2015 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I'm not into different scent types and notes and such but i love this perfume sooooo much. Its sweet, fruity, fresh with a little heavy muskiness just slightly going on. It isnt a powerful smell that'll pong you out all day, but my boyfriend notices if hes close.

on 5/16/2015 3:33:00 AM

Sweet, fruity/floral/spicy/cherry scent. It has a slight heaviness to it, almost but not quite musky. Very feminine and sophisticated. I like this a lot more than Escada's Cherry in the Air.
This is one of my favorite fragrances, and I have repurchased it many times. My only complaint is that the lasting power isn't the best, so four lippies instead of five.

I will continue to buy it in the future!

on 5/14/2015 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I have tried the Petite Robe Noire EDT, EDP and Couture so far.

The EDT is light and springy, reminds me of candied roses and fresh cherries. Yes, it is sweet but not sugary.

The EDP is denser/sweeter with candied cherries, licorice and slightly powdery base. Quite along the lines of Lolita Lempicka but not as complex. Could be a flanker of it.

Couture is heavy on the raspberry, with a patch neo-chypre base.

All of them smell distinctively ''pink'' and are clearly formulated to attract younger customers. I find them all pleasant but honestly they are just a notch above the average designer scent and not really worth the Guerlain name.

This eau de parfum is a nice blend of black cherry and leather. At first sniff, I didn't know how I felt about it. Repeatedly trying it made me realize I did love it, once it's on my skin and set. To some it may be too sweet and people have said it smells like artificial cherry syrup. It's definitely cherry and sweet, and so girly and long lasting. 2 sprays will linger on your skin for hours.

on 12/20/2014 1:55:00 AM

Ew! Smells like cherry flavoured cough syrup ew!

on 12/15/2014 10:44:00 AM

This perfume is so easy and uplifting! Sometimes this is all we need or want. It's sweet but not cloying, and fun. The notes are red fruit, patchouli and something like cotton candy, I like the red fruit the best, for it reminds me of black cherry, which I adore.
It really is a happy perfume.
I didn't give it a five star for it's not a masterpiece perfume, but rather an easy to like one.
Posterior note: I ended up giving it a five star because I developed an intense love and dependancy on this fragrance and I did not see that coming! But it just makes me happy. Thank you Guerlain.

Popular Fragrances