L'Oreal Waterproof Voluminous Carbon Black

L'Oreal Waterproof Voluminous Carbon Black

2.6

on 10/5/2017 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I use waterproof mascara to hold the curl I create on my long but straight and downward pointing lashes.
This holds curl fairly well and the carbon black defines that lashes beautifully but it smudges badly. I usually use the regular black Voluminous in black and it's fabulous. It seems like the extra pigment in this version makes it transfer and smudge. It's going in the garbage after trying to make it work for weeks.

on 5/31/2017 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

As a disclaimer: my eyelashes are very lightly colored and grow almost straight downward. They need a good curl before any mascara and are lightweight enough that heavy products do not weigh them down and un-curl them! My skin is also normal to oily, which definitely contributes to products slipping and lasting for a shorter length of time than for people without oily skin.

I was recommended this mascara by a friend, and also read a very positive review of it on a popular blog that I love. Unfortunately, this mascara just didn't hold up to its reputation for me. It certainly delivers a very deep, black pigment, which I really liked. It also made my lashes look thicker and longer, although not to the degree of other mascaras that I own (that, unfortunately for me, are about 3 times the price). The biggest negative for me is the fact that this slides off of my face within 3-4 hours, if not less. Despite the fact that the product is waterproof it does not have any long-lasting effect whatsoever. I found myself wiping mascara off from under my lower lash line only a few short hours into my (not sweaty, not overly taxing) work day. Given my long hours and frequent need for day-to-night transitions, I would not buy this mascara again because it could not stand up to even a short portion of my busy day!

Doesn't do much for me. I have short Asian lashes, try out better than Sex by too faced.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

It smudges and without much effort. I didn't even put it on my lower lashes and I still ended up with mascara smudges under my eyes by simply walking around all day. Maybelline Great Lash (non-waterproof) did so much better, even when applied to my lower lashes.

on 4/21/2017 9:21:00 AM

I really wanted to love this. I DO love how my lashes look - it definitely builds volume, and really makes my eyes stand out. Unfortunately, it smudges like CRAZY. It's somehow smudgey AND flakey at the same time - I looked like a raccoon by the end of the day. When I hopped into the shower my eyes actually started to burn. Will not repurchase, or recommend this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been trying to find a mascara that I love, and I'm not too sure about this one. I love how it lengthens my lashes and adds a little volume. The formula is watery which can be a curse cause it gets messy applying it or it can be a blessing cause it doesn't get clumpy. But the thing I hate the most about this mascara it taking it off. It can be so hard and time consuming trying to take this off. After using an eye makeup remover, washing my face, and taking a shower it is still on my lashes. It's most likely because it's waterproof, but I need that for the area and weather I live in. If you have a good eye makeup remover this probably won't be a problem. Overall I love how this mascara doesn't go on clumpy and how it makes my lashes look. But it's hard to take off some times and applying it can be messy. Oh I also like the cheap price and nice simple packaging.

on 11/25/2016 11:24:00 AM

One word: smudge. Never again.

on 11/16/2016 10:47:00 PM

I bought this on accident. I love the original Carbon Black and was going for that but in my haste (well, actually the boyfriend gets impatient when I'm in the makeup aisles cuz I can spend hours there and he was giving me "the look"), I grabbed the waterproof version instead of the regular one. Sigh. So my critiques are these: it's thick, makes my eyelashes look clumpy, and it can flake off and fall on my cheeks. That seems to be true though of most, if not all, of the waterproof mascaras that I have tried before so I can't say that this formulation is bad. It's not terrible. I have been using it but I definitely will not buy the waterproof version again.

on 11/25/2016 4:01:00 PM

Love this mascara I use both the waterproof and the regular been doing so for years, it doesn't flake, it's long wearing, just like in the name voluminous it builds great volume... don't know why there's bad reviews seriously this is a very good product and It could stand up to any high-end mascara... this I know because I do use them as well

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Well, this is a surprising product for me because I really do not like the regular Voluminous mascara. The regular one did not do much of anything for my lashes. But I do like this Carbon Black. The brush is the kind I prefer, a brush with bristles rather than the plastic kind. It is very black, which always makes my eyes stand out more. I did not notice any flaking and no eye irritation at all. My lashes are of average length and volume on their own and this mascara really did enhance my natural lashes as well as adding volume and length and a bit of curl. The only issue I had with this was a very small amount of smudging by the end of the day. As a waterproof mascara, I expected that it would not do that. That was the only con. I think I could use this daily without that being a big problem, since it otherwise made my lashes look so good. It removes well with the Neutrogena or Equate Oil Free Eye Makeup Remover.
Mascara has been one of those products I have had a hard time with for a while, because it seems like every time I found something that worked, it would disappear from the stores. (How I miss the long lost LeGrand Curl form L'oreal!). I just do not have the budget to pay so much for high end products, so I usually stick with drugstore. And mascara has to be replaced so often, I just cannot justify spending twenty dollars a tube. This one was about $6 regular price, and I got it on sale for $3, so it was worth that! I'm glad I gave this a try even though I was not impressed with regular Voluminous. Who knows why it works better, but it does and now my lashes look really good again!