L'Oreal Waterproof Voluminous Carbon Black

L'Oreal Waterproof Voluminous Carbon Black

2.6

I don't understand the bad reviews. I've been wearing this since they started making it. I sweat like crazy on a normal work day and it doesn't budge. I wipe the wand off lightly on tissue before applying and comb out my lashes with a eyelash comb afterwards, I repeat this like 4 times an eye because my lashes are blonde. End result= long thick dark plush lashes that last all day and night with NO smudges

on 6/19/2016 12:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Good mascara but smudges like crazy if you're at the beach, runs so much if you accidentally wear in the shower or pool. Absolutely do not purchase for waterproof capabilities. Decent mascara otherwise.

To Read all 258 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/6/2016 5:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I LOVE THIS MASCARA. I'm one for a lot of volume in my mascara more than length because I feel volume works better for my lashes and makes my eyes look bigger.

The packaging is black and gold and looks very luxurious and high end. I also like the traditional brush because I find traditional brushes work much better for my lashes than rubber/plastic bristles do.
The formula is smooth and black, and my lashes are volumized and separated well. The only issue is I get a bit of smudging but I think that's just the way my body works with makeup so I'm not too worried about that. I can easily wipe my under eye no problem.

I also don't understand the bad reviews! If you're someone who likes more volume than length and traditional wands, then I recommend this mascara! HOLY GRAIL!

I am so disappointed by this mascara. It SMUDGES like crazy within minutes after I applied it even though it is a waterproof formula. Never have I hated a mascara so much. DO NOT BUY.

on 9/13/2015 5:02:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm surprised by the low ratings for this mascara! I bought this on a whim when it was on sale for $5.99, and I have not looked back. My left eyelid was swollen around the inner corner so I was trying to go easy on the eye makeup for a while, but when I needed something to perk up my look for classes, this worked wonderfully. I picked up the non-waterproof version a few years ago and hated it because it transferred all over my lower lashline, and I spent a few months using it as an eyeliner for how black it was (all I did was dip an eyeliner brush into the wand and apply it to my eyelid).

The wand is one of my favourites, aside from the fact that the tip will always have a huge chunk of product that comes out with the wand unless you wipe it off. It's just fluffy enough to coat all my lashes well but not too big that it hits my eyelid whenever I apply mascara.

The formula is amazing! I love the way it doesn't clump up in big chunks on my lashes but adds the right amount of volume at the same time, and it lengthens beautifully. The mascara itself doesn't dry to a crunchy feel on my lashes but it isn't completely soft either, but I don't have too many issues with that. It holds a curl very well, and I can go the entire day without looking in a mirror and still have the curl in place at the end of the night with no smudging! It doesn't flake either, which I love. I go in with two coats to start, and if I'm feeling adventurous, I'll do 3 or 4 and it'll still look just as good.

I've had a lot of issues finding a good waterproof mascara that holds a curl without flaking everywhere and clumping up when I go in with more than two coats, so this was a godsend. Would definitely repurchase when it goes on sale!

on 5/8/2015 8:42:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This mascara....yikes! Like many reviewers have mentioned, this product will give you major raccoon eyes despite being a "waterproof" mascara! I've used the regular voluminous in waterproof and it works great, so if you were to pick from this or the other, definitely pick the other. This formula also feels a lot more wet than the regular.

on 5/8/2015 4:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I never hated a mascara so much! It applied well, I enjoyed to overall look. It made my eyelashes longer, and full. However, within an hour I would get HORRIBLE smudging under my eyes. I have never had this problem before with any mascara. I tried using eyelid primer under my eye and it only helped delay the smudging by a few hours. Not sure what the hype is I would not recommend.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I am so disappointed by this, I had to review. First of all, I bought this because Thataylaa on YouTube swore by this stuff! I have naturally long eyelashes, so pretty much any mascara I use will be fine. Let me start off with the formula type, it is a very wet, thick formula so it's very hard to get a desired coat. When applying to the lashes, it feels very thin, and smudges just terrible! If it didn't take more than 5 coats to thicken up my lashes, then I wouldn't mind it. By far the worst L'Oreal mascara!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I accidentally bought this in a hurry, instead of Maybelline's full n soft waterproof which I've tried years ago. I liked the firmness of the bristles of this brush - it wasn't too big and I hate that. It was easy enough to apply, but the look wasn't "great". It was just a regular mascara look, no "4x the volume" as advertised on the packaging. However, I purchased it for a day of watersports and it totally held up. Absolutely no smudging after my face being sprayed by ocean water from a boat, and being dunked under water about 20 times. Water was freezing, not sure if it would act differently in tropical warm water or a hot tub. Therefore, for me it totally served its purpose (I was really worried I'd be a mess after). It was quite stubborn to take off but that's expected. In conclusion, lash effect = ok, waterproof = good. Wouldn't wear except for beach and watersports as I have better ones that are non-waterproof.

--> I did notice on the package it reads "NEW Waterproof and Longwear". I wonder if its an improved version as others don't seem to have had my luck. Still called Voluminous Carbon Black Waterproof though.

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

Good Lord, does this stuff smudge! I don't use very much mascara at all -- just a single flick on each eye's upper outer lashes -- and I still wind up with raccoon eyes after only an hour of wearing this. One hour, at home, where it is cool and dry, with no eye-touching at all. That's *terrible* performance, and I swear, it continues to smudge for days. I thought for sure I'd taken it all off last night, but then this morning -- raccoon eyes again. So back to the oil-based remover, and once again I thought I'd got it all off, only to find in another two hours? Raccoon eyes *again.* This is crazy. I've honestly never seen smudging like this before. Even in my teenaged Goth phase, when I was all about the super-heavy black eye makeup, I never had this type of persistent smudging.

I hate throwing things away, but I think I'm going to have to toss this one out. Not recommended.