GVP Generic Value Products GVP Conditioning Balm

GVP Generic Value Products GVP Conditioning Balm

4.3

Water, Propylene Glycol, Myristyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Decyl Oleate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Hexyl Cinnamal, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Golden Seal) Extract, Fucus Vesiculosus (Bladderwack) Extract, Methyl-2-Octynoate.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I really really love this conditioner and I have purchased many bottles of it. I have never used the Matrix product that it is supposed to be a copy of, but why would I? This makes my hair very soft and tangle-free, all without silicones, and it moisturizes nicely too. I sometimes use it as a deep conditioner and other times I use it as a quick rinse to detangle my hair in the shower. It has good slip--as if it has silicones--and makes my hair feel really silky. I buy it at Sally's for a reasonable price.

I've never used the original Biolage but I love this product. Its rich and creamy and provides deep moisture without weighing my fine hair down. I like that it doesn't contain protein. The packing could be better. The bottle makes it hard to get product out.

on 2/20/2017 8:29:00 AM

I really wanted this to work since my skin can't tolerate cones and my hair can't tolerate a lot of protein. I live in FL and was only able to get good results with this from Oct.-Feb.( if lucky) The rest of the year I looked like I stuck my finger in a light socket. The theory that the more moisturized the hair the less it will frizz led me to repurchase several times in hopes of a different outcome. If you live in a high humidity area, I would not recommend this at all.

on 8/20/2016 5:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is a great product at a lower price-point. My hair responds better to Redken All Soft conditioner and heavy cream. However, this one is definitely in my top 5.

My hair: Dry, fine, color-treated. I need alot of moisture.

Pros:
- Moisturizes very well. It worked great with my dry tangled hair.
- Rinsed out well.
- Smells nice
- Inexpensive

Cons:
- None

Middle:
- The packaging is fine. It's cheap looking - but it's an inexpensive product, so it's not a big deal.

on 5/13/2016 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This conditioner works as well or better than the Biolage Hydrating Balm. I think Biolage changed their formula recently but GVP appears not to have made a change and is a dupe for the older formula. This GVP balm doesn't contain silicone or protein, so it's the perfect choice if you're sensitive to these ingredients. I think this conditioner hydrates nicely and is rich and thick so a little bit goes a long way. I only apply it to the midlengths and ends and I rinse for five full minutes, just to ensure that it's all out of my hair. Doing this keeps it from weighing my hair down and it leaves it light and bouncy with tons of body. My hair is highlighted and I also use permanent color to touch up my roots plus I heat style several times a week so dryness is always an issue. My hair is not protein sensitive and it does well with or without silicone. I've used the Biolage balm and honestly think the GVP version works better. It's definitely more moisturizing than Biolage. I also use the Biolage Hydrotherapie Hydrating Shampoo along with this GVP conditioner and the two products together do a great job of keeping my hair soft and shiny. After I run out of the shampoo, I want to try the GVP version. I figure that if the GVP balm works as well or better than Biolage, that the GVP version of the Biolage shampoo would likely work as well as Biolage. This GVP balm has been recommended countless times on the hair board and is often sold out so I thought I'd better give it a try. I switch shampoo/conditioner every time and this is a great duo to keep in my rotation. I try to gauge what my hair needs on any given day. I use Pureology Strength Cure s/c, Redken Body Full s/c and Living Proof Perfect Hair Day s/c. If my hair is very dry, I'll use the Biolage shampoo and GVP balm. If I want tons of volume, I'll use Redken Body Full s/c (which has been discontinued unfortunately) but it does make my hair rather dry so I'll usually follow it the next time with the Biolage shampoo and GVP balm. This routine works for me because I like to keep my hair guessing, lol! Using just one s/c has never worked well for me. I like to have a protein s/c in the rotation, hence the Strength Cure. I use it every third or fourth time to provide extra strength to my chemically processes tresses. But if my hair feels dry and crunchy, I'll use the Biolage shampoo and GVP balm. Sometimes I use it several times in a row in order to restore the suppleness and shine. This GVP conditioner works like a charm. And as long as I rinse really well, it makes my hair light and bouncy. If you're looking for a very moisturizing conditioner, you can't do better than this one. I highly recommend it.

on 12/28/2015 3:57:00 PM

After hearing rave reviews about this, particularly that it is based on the old cult favorite formula of Biolage's conditioning balm, I decided to buy this along with the matching shampoo. My hair is fine and wavy, with oilier roots and drier ends. The shampoo is extremely drying so I paired this thick, waxy conditioner with various other shampoos and just was not impressed. It's thick and doesn't feel like it's penetrating, it feels like it's just sitting on top of your hair. It does not detangle very well, either. You have to rinse & rinse to get it all out. Once it's all out my hair looks okay, certainly not shiny or detangled. Pantene & Herbal Essences work better on my hair than this. The smell is the best part, fresh and slightly fruity/ floral like Biolage. Overall a huge disappointment.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Great as a leave-in but makes an unaffordable daily conditioner. It's very moisturizing, and thick.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I can't help but compare this to the other GVP products I've tried, and the Paul Mitchell Detangler one is better. I've found this to be better than common drug store conditioners such as Garnier Fructis, Pantene, Organix...but Giovanni and Joico have performed better.

This is definitely a good conditioner, but by no means is it special...performed as well as Aussie Moist...I've heard a lot of people say this is an HG, and was kind of disappoined this conditioner wasn't that good.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Best deep conditioner I've tried, and my thick, wavy hair is very hard to please. Leaves it soft and lovely.

This is one of two of my holy grail deep conditioning masks (a close runner-up is the Moroccanoil Intense Hydrating Mask)! It isn't as "balmy" (thick/oily) as the old Matrix version, but otherwise it is nearly identical and performance-wise gets 4/4 stars from me, as the first generation Conditioning Balm has been long discontinued.

My natural hair is normal: not super oily and not very dry. However, I process my hair every 4-6 weeks (high-lift) and it takes a toll on my ends, which start to dry up, stiffen, and break. This problem has caused me be unable to grow my hair long, as it has become PRONE to breakage. It's also made my strands dull and tangly overall.

My hair itself isn't fine; I don't have a TON, but it's medium-textured, medium-density, and has a large curl pattern that tends to poof instead of look defined because it's usually so dehydrated.

I cannot use protein in my hair care regimen - unless it is directly after a very intense process. Even then, my hair is so picky and sensitive, that I'm still struggling to find a protein reconstructive treatment that doesn't leave my hair stiff as wires (K Pak is the reason I had to bust out my pure Argan oil & use up the rest of my Moroccanoil mask)!

When I use this mask, my hair's softness and shine is restored. It's as simple as that; this WORKS! No more crunchy or brittle ends that suck the life out of my hair. I can never be without this mask, especially for under ten dollars... it's hands down, the best!

I have found zero con's with this product. The scent doesn't trigger headaches (and I'm prone to them), the packaging doesn't bother me (I much prefer bottles to tubs), and the formula is 100% effective.

Please, NEVER discontinue this product!