Green People - Organic Base No Scent Shampoo

3.3

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I have reviewed this shampoo under Green People Scent Free Shampoo - as far as I am aware Green People do not have a shampoo called Organic Base no scent any more and I think this is the successor. The ingredients have been changed too. However this is the review I wrote in case it helps:

I have been using this shampoo for a long time now but not all the time. I bought it due to various allergies and sensitivities - it is a bit of a lottery as to whether I am ok with a shampoo or not, but generally have to avoid fragrances (there are a few exceptions), most essential oils, colour, and sodium laureth sulfate. This one contains sodium coco-sulfate which seems to be ok for me (I have a very sensitive scalp).
The shampoo lathers pretty well and doesn't irritate my scalp or dry it out. However it doesn't really improve the condition of my hair. I also find that I have to wash my hair more often when I use it than I do with the other shampoo I use regularly. There really is no discernible scent at all, and it is colourless (may be a slight colour due to the ingredients used). I use the matching conditioner with it but some people may find the combo a bit lightweight - I would say it is suitable for families who have allergy problems so they can all use it as it is quite gentle.
I am giving it 4 lippies as I wouldn't wish to be without it although some of the claims made on the Green People website don't really happen with my hair - I don't find it makes it particularly shiny, soft or silky. But in my experience it is a good shampoo if you have allergies and sensitivities.

Edit: I have also reviewed the Green People Scent Free Conditioner

Ingredients (as on my bottle and Green People's website:
Water, Sodium Coco-Sulfate,Cocamidopropyl betaine,Decyl Glucoside,Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe vera) leaf juice powder,Camellia Sinensis (Green tea) leaf extract,Ananas Sativus (Pineapple) fruit extract,Yucca schidigera (Yucca) stem extract,Maris sal (Sea salt),Citric acid,Benzyl alcohol,Sorbic acid,Salicylic acid,Glycerin.
83% Organic,.

on 1/5/2015 12:19:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Great shampoo. Gentle on the hair and scalp. Leaves hair clean without drying it.

on 5/28/2012 3:13:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Meh. Not the worst unscented shampoo I've tried. It didn't give me a rash, cause breakage, or make my dense, fine-structured, curly, tending toward poof-y hair fall out. It did make my hair look a mess -- super puffy, no curl, and fried -- while leaving it cruddy feeling. After only two times using the shampoo and matching conditioner, my hand would feel mucky when I ran it through my hair, even though my hair looked really dried out. It wasn't a matter of build-up: the only thing I use in my hair is a teeny amount of coconut oil, which always washes out easily.

on 5/18/2009 5:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My hair: fine, abundant, straight; length changes from short to mid-length and back again quite frequently; coloured. I wash and blow-dry every other day; I flat iron my hair about once a week. Perpetually itchy and dermatitis-prone scalp.

The product: Basic, minimal, more "natural" shampoo. Its ingredients are mild enough for use on babies and other sensitively-scalped souls. Apart from the cleasing base, the only additional ingredients are anti-inflammatory aloe vera, humectant vegetable glycerin, and antioxidant green tea. As per its name, OBNSS contains no fragrance whatsoever, including essential oils, which in many cases I am sensitive to. While I applaud this, do be aware that it means that the shampoo will arrive in your expectant palm smelling very slightly odd. Fortunately this dissipates quickly.

The payoff for a minimal formula is that it's very concentrated. While it lathers well and rapidly, the concentration combined with the alkaline surfactants make it too drying to my hair and scalp for frequent use. Recent studies have made much of the soothing powers of aloe vera (the first ingredient) for seborrheic dermatitis, but if anything, my scalp was more itchy than ever while using this. I also noticed more hair loss during washing with this product and subtle but definite fading of my colour. In fairness, though, many sulfate-free shampoos I've tried seem to have had this effect and using this shampoo coincided with some changes in long term medication. If your hair is damaged, tends towards dryness, or you have an irritable scalp, this shampoo is best avoided. For sensitive scalps and/or dandruff, Green People's Rosemary Shampoo is well worth seeking out. For drier hair, Essential Care Gentle Herb Shampoo is very effective, also sulfate-free and a similar price. Neither of those options is fragrance-free; both are fragranced with essential oils. Otherwise, this is a good multi-purpose product to have around. I use it as a body wash and to clean make-up and hair brushes with synthetic bristles. At least one lippy is due to that, since as a shampoo this is mediocre at best.

Ingredients: *Aloe vera, decyl glucoside, glycerin, cocamidopropyl betaine, cocamoniumcarbamyochloride, *green tea (*denotes organically grown). GBP8.80/200ml, independent health food shops, greenpeople.co.uk, and other online retailers.