John Frieda Go Blonder Lightening Conditioner

John Frieda Go Blonder Lightening Conditioner

3.7

Water, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Lactic Acid, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cyclopentasiloxane, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract (Matricaria), Citrus Medica Limonium Peel Extract (Lemon), Helianthus Annuus Seed Extract (Sunflower), Vitis Vinifera Juice Extract (Grape), Vitis Vinifera Seed Extract (Grape), Dimethiconol, PEG 14M, Amodimethicone, Sodium Hydroxide, Benzyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Tocopherol, Trideceth 12, Propylene Glycol, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Alcohol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance, Yellow 5

Horrible. Dried my hair, made my hair fall off and the worst of all... Dandruff. I wanted a little bit of lightening in my hair but all it did was damaging it. I now have to use baby shampoo and a medicated one to go normal again. I have really long hair and would never recommend this product to anyone.

on 12/17/2015 2:05:00 PM

This is horrible! It does not bring back ANY moisture to your hair, and it actually makes it drier. It does not lighten your hair in the slightest and it makes your hair fall out like crazy! Well at least in my experience. 1 lippie.

EDIT 13/05/16: For some reason my stubborn self decided to give this conditioner another try. This time I used it along with my H&S which has silicones in it (The review from above is after using it along with a silicone free shampoo) and OMG.... what the heck! My hair is crazy shiny, soft and leightweight, and it's lightening my hair beautifully without brassiness! I've been using it 3 times in a row and it gets more luscious each time. Probably the first time it got in my roots and that's why it made my hair fall? And prob this works with silicone shampoos only? I don't know but it went to 1 lippy to 5 lippies worth! Bear in mind I use a John Frieda Oil elixir after showering, but it only works if the conditioner works. If I skip the condish and only shampoo and use the oil, my hair is very meh. I will keep using it along with a deep treatment weekly (bc in the end this condish has lemon in it.. I am sure it can be drying overtime) and if my hair does not get damaged by this, I will come back and give it 5 lippies!

Final update 26/05/16: yes, this conditioner is AMAZING. If anyone knows of another conditioner that leaves hair just as shiny and perfrct minus the lightening PLEASE MESSAGE ME.
To all those whom this conditioner didnt seem to work for: try using a different shampoo along with this, and use some serum afterwards.

This product definitely does what it claims it will do. I have blonde highlights throughout most of my hair because I wanted to go lighter for the summer/fall. I've had multiple people tell me my hair looks lighter and lighter every time they see me, I'm assuming its from this product. However, I've never lost more hair in the shower than I have when I've used this product. Huge amounts of hair falls out of my head and I end up collecting it all in a big ball after the shower. It's kind of scary. Even after drying my hair and brushing it out, hair still falls out. Because of this, I wouldn't buy this product again.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

**Note...I used this same review for my experience with the shampoo as well...so apologies for the redundance.
I actually really like this stuff! It has a very subtle lemon scent, lathers well and comes in a bright yellow bottle. I do not have any issues with dryness in my hair--ever--and this stuff is no exception. Keep in mind, though I have stick straight, fine hair (but a LOT of it). If you have dry hair, curly or damaged...I can't speak for you if this would exacerbate the problem but it definitely did NOT dry mine out at all.
After dyeing my pixie hair blonde I noticed the golden tones really bugged me. I started off as a medium golden blonde (I am normally a 'dirty' blonde) and after a couple uses I can definitely tell that the golden/brassy tones have been reduced causing it to definitely look lighter.
(yes, I use the shampoo too).
If something changes, I'll come back and change the review but all in all I really actually like this stuff. Cheaper and easier than buying a toner for sure.
(keep in mind that my hair isn't very dark to begin with...someone who is a natural brunette who has dyed it blonde/r might not have the same results...I assume since my hair is closer to blonde it might work a bit better....).

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I DO NOT HAVE THE SHAMPOO. The product is loaded with chemicals which I refuse to wash my hair with because it would look fried. This is a review with the use of only the conditioner. Enjoy :)

I have wavy/curly, very dark blonde hair made of A LOT of fine strands. My hair is very dry and never seems to get conditioned enough. That being said, I know that my conditioner MUST be Heavy with moisture which this conditioner is not. I wasn't expecting it to moisturize (which is why I have deep conditioner I use after it) I just wanted that that blonde! This is why I give this Product a three.

I lived in sunny California for two years and it wasn't until being in six months of Winter in the Midwest, did I notice my hair being extremely dark. Almost light brown with a hint of red? ehk. The lack of sun showed my true hair color and I can hardly say I am a blonde :( If I compare pictures from ONE year ago and NOW It looks like I dyed my hair at some point, it was literally 5 shades lighter. I haven't dyed a strand in three years. All Natural, not to mention, it is now the same color as it was when I first moved to California! Thank god Summer is here.

The blonde in the Product:
I have used this ONCE.
I took before and after picture both in bathroom and in sunlit room, and I noticed a huge difference (no one else did but they will). I wasn't expecting it to work after one use so I can only imagine how it will look by the end of this week.
The tips of my hair have a golden tint as well as some parts in my roots. However, the bottom layer by my neck didn't seem so light, but that's okay!

I can already see this product lightening my hair and that is only using the conditioner.

I will update after using several times.

Thanks for reading!

on 3/18/2015 11:48:00 AM

This conditioner does not condition your hair! After I use it, my hair stays dry, knotty and rough, and it feels like I didn't use a conditioner at all.

I absolutely did not like this product. It did nothing to make my hair blonder or have highlights whatsoever, and it made my hair SUPER knotty and dry. Definitely not worth the buy.

on 10/11/2013 8:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

It's okay. I think the shampoo does more than the conditioner does...I only use them during the spring/summer seasons. It works better on those times, in my opinion.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Excellent conditioner! I don't know how much it actually lightened my hair, but I did notice my roots weren't as brassy as they were before I used this. I had previously lightened them but they weren't as blonde as I wanted them to be, now they seem more blended into the rest of my hair, which is a really pale blonde. My hair also feels A LOT softer! And it as really dry and unhealthy before from dying it so much. I love this conditioner and definitely will buy again! It's a little pricey for a drugstore conditioner but worth the price if it can make my over-processed and over-bleached hair feel this amazing!
Update : This conditioner seemed to dry out my hair over time, however I still use it occasionally when I want my blonde to look a bit brighter. When this bottle is finished I probably won't repurchase.

on 8/5/2013 10:34:00 PM

Pros:
Smells good
Leaves hair soft

Cons:
Didn't lighten
Bad packaging
Expensive

I used an entire bottle of this once, my hair didn't get the slightest bit lighter. My hair was a dark/medium blonde at the time I used it. I wouldn't recommend using this product alone, i don't know the results if you use the shampoo along with it. I merely used the conditioner alone and got no results.