InStyler-Tre Milano brand

3.7

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This is just okay it does minimize the amount of damage being done to your hair but it's not as nice as a lot of other curlers and straighteners. It works really well at the beginning then when it gets a bit of wear and tear on it it doesn't work as well but other than that it's great as long as you're careful not to mess it up. I got it for Christmas of 2011 and loved it. Now I still have it and I still like it but I don't love it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I had my instyler for over five years and loved it, as a straightening tool. If you're buying it as a 2-in-1 product to curl and straighten you'll be disappointed. The curl is hard to do, and very loose. More like a wave. Works fantastic as a straightener, I don't use flat irons anymore.

To Read all 123 Reviews, Login or Join

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

If you look at my profile pic, you will see that I have bleached blond fine hair. This has always been a problem when it comes to straightening irons and super heated appliances.

I purchased my InStyler for about $120 Australian, so I was pretty determined that I was going to get some use out of it. Now here's the thing. Your hair must be completely dry when you use it. The first time I used it, my hair was touch dry. I had used a hair dryer until I was certain my hair was dry. Because It still had a tiny bit of moisture in it, I could see steam coming off my hair as I ran the InStyler through it. This was on the lowest setting!!!! The end result was horrible and I almost gave up. The next time I used it, I washed my hair the night before, making sure to condition really well and put product in. When I woke up, my hair was completely dry and I tried the InStyler again. Wow! What a difference. This time there was no steam and the hair actually looked smoother.

So here are my tips, particularly for ladies with fine, damaged or bleached hair. The first tip is to use the lowest setting. It is still pretty hot, but the higher settings are going to cause damage. My second tip is that your hair must be completely dry. Completely dry means no moisture at all!!!! My third tip is to run the InStyler through each section slowly. I know it seems counterintuitive to leave a hot appliance on bleached or damaged hair, but it means that you get the result first time without having to run it through your hair multiple times.

I do love my InStyler and will use it from now on. I figure it is better for my hair than my blow dryer and it is really quick if you wash your hair the night before. It takes about 10 minutes to do my hair.

For me this is only a one lippie product. On my uber fine waves, it was burning my hair even on the half way setting! I have never had this issue even with my Sedu flat iron. It also worked no better than my Sedu. So my crazy fine wavy locks looked fried and blah. Not for me at all

Now, for my cousin who has Rosanna Rosanna Danna hair...super, crazy out of control thick coarse hair....it works wonders at taming her mane...even better than any flat iron ever could. Her hair is left glossy and smooth...better than I have ever seen it in her 43 years.

So that is that. I wouldn't touch this again with a 10 foot pole for my fine & tender locks. But I would definitely recommend it to those with hair like my cousins.

A TON of hype for this product. it's a little ridiculous. After seeing the ads over and over i finally bought it myself.
Huge waste of money, burns my hair and leaves it looking shapeless and dry. Simply a bad product. Ive had it for 2 years now... and every now and then i take it out and try it to convince myself maybe i didnt use it right, such a shame i never use such an expensive product. and then im reminded what c*** it is. so just advice for the rest of you ladies, dont buy this.

SERIOUSLY this hair styler changed the way I do my hair for the rest of my life. I could never figure out a way to blow dry my hair voluminous and bouncy like the hairdresser, and so I bought this. Best decision of my life. It is so easy to use and makes my hair look blow dried perfect. My hair is naturally wavy and very thick and I have no issues with this tool.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

When I first got this, my medium-long, thick, slightly wavy hair was all one length. Since it tends to get frizzy and I'm not the biggest fan of flat irons, I decided to give this a try.

This doesn't really do what I'd call straightening. Straightened hair tends to look like it's actually been ironed. It's flat, sleek, and smooth. This tool did tame my frizzies and fly-aways pretty nicely, but it doesn't give that flat ironed look. There's much more volume with this than with a flat iron. So if that's the look you want, i.e. reasonably smooth but with lots of volume, definitely give this a try. If you're looking for actual straightening, you're probably better off with a proper flat iron.

Since I got this, I got my hair cut. Had some of the length taken off, though it's still past my shoulders, and I had textured layers put throughout. And now, this product isn't that useful to me, unfortunately. The layers make my hair much less prone to frizzing up (the layers curl instead; when the hair is long, the weight prevents the curling and just gets frizzy-puffy), so I don't need this for that, and, as I have never managed to get the "curling" aspect of this device to work for me, I can't use it to shape the layers (and I have the 1.25"/32mm version and the barrel is too big to do much for the shorter layers).

I've been using curling irons, hot rollers, regular rollers, and all sorts of other hair appliances for 35+ years now, but I just cannot seem to get the twirling motion needed to make a curl with this thing. I can use a clipless curling wand perfectly, no problem, so I definitely know how to wrap the hair, but this? Nup. Can't get a curl with it. Have reviewed a number of websites and I don't even know how many YouTube videos trying to figure it out, and it's just not happening. Well, actually, on a couple of occasions I've managed to get a bit of a curl going, but any curls or waves I do manage to get don't last long, sadly. So as a curler, I have to say this is pretty useless for me. I know some people absolutely love it and can make amazing beachy waves and who knows what else, but I just can't seem to get it, sadly.

So, for me, there's no way this is worth the full asking price. It's okay to get rid of frizzies and does a reasonably good job of that, but that's all I really used it for, and it's actually not my favourite tool for doing that, mostly because this, with the rotating motor, is on the noisy side (my favourite tool for smoothing my hair is an ionic heated round brush). This is an okay tool, but I'm glad I got it second hand on eBay rather than paying full price for it new. If I had paid the full price, I'd feel really ripped off. I may, one day, work out how to do waves/curls with it (I'm going to keep trying!), but like all products from this company, it's way overpriced and somewhat overhyped.

So far so good! I use this tool to flip my hair in towards my neck and it does a good job. I think it is also less damaging than using a straightener to do the same, as it does not have two scolding plates touching my hair at the same time. However, only time will tell. I will update in a month in regards to the degree of hair damage my hair will have.

UPDATE: Still use and adore this tool. It is my go to everyday styler. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to control their hair with less damage. I got mine from Ulta on sale and used their 20% off coupon that comes out every so often. So totally worth it.

After only a few uses, The rotating brush got choppy. It would spin, but want to stall, slow down and simply didn't work well. It's overpriced, bulky, and doesn't work for long.

Popular Hair Styling Tools