Wella Color Charm White Lady Toner

Wella Color Charm White Lady Toner

3.9

on 6/6/2016 7:22:00 PM

So happy with how this fixed my yellow hair! I bought the 20 volume Wella developer with it! The only downside is that the smell is incredibly strong! But obviously that's to be expected ! Can't believe how awesome my hair looks now! Will definitely use again

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I have used this plenty of times on myself and others after bleaching. It's works great but you MUST use 20 vol developer, MUST have at least dark yellow to light yellow level of bleaching for it to do its thing and MUST I mean MUST leave in for 30-45 min for any good results. Believe me, I am a colorist. If you don't leave it in you will not get the full ash tone results. You may be worries because your hair appears purple or grey with the toner on but leave it ALONE. lol.
The results will be a beautiful ashy blonde. If the hair was really really light blonde previously you may get a slight purple tone to it but it will wash out in a few washes.
If you hair is orange (even light orange) DO NOT EXPECT RESULTS. You will need to either lighten more with bleach before using this toner or select a darker toner with more blue tones in it.
Always consult the color wheel. This is a purple toner and the opposite of purple is yellow on the wheel. You can't go wrong if you use the color wheel before selecting a toner.
With all this in mind, I took one star off because the smell of this product is insanely atrocious. It literally stinks. So bad. Use in a well ventilated area! It also leaves the hair dry so be sure to deep condition afterwards.
Please also keep in mind to use a cream developer, not a liquid. This product is a liquid and the cream developer will make it much easier to apply. Another great tip is to be sure you use this on freshly shampooed hair, no conditioner and damp not dry hair.
I really hope I helped anyone who is questioning whether to use this toner or not!

To Read all 96 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/12/2016 11:21:00 AM

Maybe I did it wrong? I went from dirty blonde with bleach highlights and covered it with Preference Lightest Ash. The color was good, but felt it could be a little better. It looked a tad yellow and my roots where a little orangery, so I tried this Well T18.

I used 20 vol, 15 min because I was scared to leave it in longer due to the reviews here. My hair turned darker and brassy :-( Maybe it will wash lighter?

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I've been fighting brassiness in my hair since I decided I want to go blonde. I'm not at the shade of blonde I want yet I'm still working towards that.

I've used T14 on my hair, it's more blue based. It did a decent job but my hair is less orange and more yellow so I decided to pick up T18.

I am a professional hairstylist so knowing what I know about color, I only used a 10 volume developer with this. 20 volume will only further damage your hair and if your hair is orange, it will most likely just make it more orange or not change at all.

So anyways, I put this on damp hair for 30 minutes. If you have extremely light hair to begin with, watch this closely as your hair could possibly go purple, but if it does dont worry it's not permanent. I wasn't worried about my hair pulling purple because I had some intense brass to get rid of lol

It did a really great job, i would definitely use it again, however, it is incredibly drying.

I did post a before and after :)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So I've been wanting to go back blonde for awhile, however it has been awhile since the last time I went from dark to light. I've pretty much forgotten the steps. So of course bleach well I went to Sally's because there are some new products out I suppose since the last time, and improvements. (Supposedly) the woman at Sally's (we will just call her Sally for all intensive purposes) so Sally recommended this wella toner. Well I have used wella in the past and hated it. Again, its been 3 years so I figured meh why not. As it was burning my scalp off I started reading the reviews. First off don't go by the box.... 30 minutes is wayyyyy too long. Second off, I thought it was crazy that some of these women had part of their hair dyed greyish purple. Never once thinking that could be my head. So I get in the shower and start washing the crazy purple toner out of my hair for about 10 minutes, (my hair is very thick). I get out only to look in the mirror and just about go crazy...my roots are fricken purple!!! I calmed down got back in the shower and thinking its possible I didn't wash it all out. Nope not the case my root are pother pricken purple!!!! For the most part my hair is not orange but it is yellow still. It also made ny skin itch quite a bit! Maybe if i had used a ten devolper it wouldnt have done that. I wouldn't recommend this product at all. I would recommend ion high lift cool ash blonde which I would have used if they weren't out.

I used this after the second bleach to get to platinum. I use 10 volume with this, and only leave it on for about 10 min. I heeded the advice of others here and stayed close to the mirror to check...glad I listened!
I got good results, the yellow is completely gone, but my hair is quite dry. I would never use this with 20 volume.
Color Charm did work for me, but I will give the Redken 9V a try, as another reviewer advises.

on 12/25/2015 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This product completely removes all brassy/yellow tones from bleached hair, leaving it a brilliant WHITE, or silver if you leave it on a little extra (I've done this a few times and it looks great). Absolutely amazing results.

However, this does come at a price. The product contains peroxide and therefore damages the hair quite a bit in comparison to other toners which are not oxidising, so make sure your hair is in good enough condition in the first place and follow with some deep conditioning!

Highly recommended for people who have tried other less damaging toners and can't get rid of brassiness in their bleached hair.

on 12/22/2015 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I used to bleach my hair to a very yellow level 10 and use this toner to get a silvery/white tone. It's a miracle worker BUT you have to be careful: you should use a developer 10 not 20 since it's only a color deposit, not a lift and you should monitor your time VERY carefully especially if your hair is porous and damaged. One time, i left it on too long and got muddy grey hair. It faded after a few washes but it was still unpleasant. Sometimes, only 5-7 minutes is enough for this toner to work so don't just assume that 20min is 20min like you would with a regular hair dye. STAY in front of your bathroom mirror =)
But other than that, this stuff is the bomb!

on 12/22/2015 9:06:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've used this toner several times with mixed results. I usually mix it with T11 because I want a neutral result and using T18 by itself gives me an outcome that is ashier than I want. This toner has been around forever and is probably one of Wella's most popular products. It has a violet base, which neutralizes golden tones. However, if left on too long, this can make hair silvery/purplish and overly ashy. So it's important to watch the timing carefully. This toner works for some in just a minute or two. I'm one of those people who's hair absorbs ash very quickly so I only leave this toner on for about one minute, even when mixed with T11. I tried it once by itself and I ended up with a result that was far too cool for my light neutral skintone. It took several shampoos to lift the ashiness out. However, I no longer use this brand of toner. I've found a salon brand that works much better for me. Redken Shades EQ in 9V has a violet base and gives me much better results. It too neutralizes the golden/yellow tones and works in just a few minutes. But it leaves my hair soft and glossy and does no damage. Color Charm always left my hair quite dry and lifeless with no shine at all. SEQ is mixed with the SEQ processing solution, not a standard developer. However, a large bottle of the solution is only $15-$20 on Amazon or ebay and will last forever. I usually use 9V with 9NB (in equal parts). 9NB has a neutral brown base and together they give me a nice neutral result. This formula still cancels out the overly golden tones but does not give me a too cool outcome. I've used 9V alone and I do like the effects but the neutral shade suits my complexion better. SEQ is applied to clean, damp hair for a minute or two up to 15. As soon as you see that the unwanted tones have been neutralized, rinse. Don't shampoo for 48 hours because the color needs time to set and the cuticle needs time to close. The color will last a lot longer if you do this. SEQ lasts twice as long as Color Charm, usually 15-20 shampoos as long as you use a sulfate free formula. And SEQ doesn't leave my hair dry but very shiny and conditioned. There's a reason it's the number one demi permanent formula and has been for 25 years. I buy SEQ on Amazon or ebay, whichever has the best price. Shipping takes about a week. But it's worth the wait, I promise. I much prefer SEQ and would never go back to Color Charm. SEQ is more expensive, but produces salon worthy results that are much more predictable than Color Charm. There are also a wide range of SEQ shades and it's possible to do any kind of color correction. For example, if your hair has too much orange, 9B has a blue base and neutralizes orange really well. If you have a mixture of yellow and orange, usually referred to as "blorange", lol!, then you'll want equal parts 9V and 9B. I can't say enough good things about SEQ. There is no downside. I can't think of one negative thing about it. I no longer use Color Charm because it damages my hair and leaves it flat and matte and very dry. SEQ isn't like that at all. If you want super shiny color that also conditions and leaves hair very healthy looking, then SEQ is what you want. I definitely do not recommend Color Charm T18. You'll like SEQ 9V much better, I promise.

on 12/3/2015 8:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Unfortunately this did nothing for me. I so wanted it to work because of all the good reviews I've read but it didn't take out any brassiness/yellow in my hair at all. I used it twice. Nothing.