Pravana - ChromaSilk

4.8

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I have been using Pravana Vivids for a long time. Originally I mixed red and violet to get magenta, then did the violet alone/diluted. I use tressume naturals silicone free in Aloe and Avocado, but any silicone free conditioner should work. That one is pretty good and also cheap. I have since picked up Orange, green, pastels, neons... My hair isn't light enough to use the pastels alone, but I also mix with a pastel or neon which changes the color only a little because the purple is so strong but to mix it up/dilute. I have to say though, the neons are pretty good if you do have light spots/white hair. Better than the pastels.

My purple lasts a really long time, but I don't wash that often. It will fade around the face and ends first and I often throw in a different color there to mix it up. In the back where the hair is hidden, it can last a super long time.

Of course it does stain, but bleach will get it out of the counter and tub, and ot is my favorite brand so far.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

This review is for the 'Vivids' series in 'Silver'.

Great texture, turned my hair a kind of thundercloud, stormy grey which I love. I used this 1:1 diluted with a white cone-free conditioner. And boy, does this stuff STICK! Three weeks down the line my hair still looks decent. The parts of my hair that were very white picked up more of the colour, obviously because it is more porous there, and it turned a dark, almost denim blue colour. Washing it once with a sulfate shampoo lifted it back to the gunmetal/silver colour I was going for. I may try to use it undiluted next time as a 'shadow root' and dilute it 1:2 colour to conditioner to refresh the ends. Only took 1 lippy off because I think I would have preferred a more neutral grey rather than a blue-toned one, but I love the formula so much I will continue to use this. Here's a pic of my 3-week old silver colour.

Full Size Image

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I'm going to offer a slightly mixed review of Pravana Chromasilk red based on my several months of experience with it. My hairdresser introduced me to it and transformed my bleached locks into the brightest, most saturated magenta-red possible. It was literally stunning.

For four washes. I wash my hair daily because it's the oiliest hair could possibly be (I've tried not washing it, and that doesn't improve things; my skin is similarly just as oily). I try to minimize damages with sulfate-free shampoo and cold water and quick washing. Dry shampoo laughs at my hair. So dying my hair red has only been possible in the past by dying it with permanent dye and then bumping the color once a week with Manic Panic. This results in a more garnet color. Pravana red turned my hair brilliant magenta. The thing is, I really wanted it to be red, not pink. And after those four washes, it turned bubblegum pink and wouldn't budge.

So, I re-dyed it several times, and I wound up having to do this once a week to avoid the hideous Pepto-Bismol color it kept fading to. It was terrible. I noticed that it took far, far better on my roots, which are naturally a kind of Nordic blonde, but the bleached part it was applied to seemed to not hold the color well whatsoever. My hairdresser tried the sealant that they sell, and it smelled like pine, was kind of oily, and did nothing whatsoever. She also tried leaving it on for four hours (we're friends, and she works at a very high end salon; luckily, she doesn't charge me for some of these things). She tried protein treatments. if you are a natural light blonde, perhaps forego bleaching it. I really hated the pink undertone, and here I am, four months later, with obvious Pravana pink still hanging around in there.

Applying it, it's thick and paste-like, so a little hard to apply, you have to use a tint brush and bowl, and it stains everything including your skin. You wind up in the shower being dyed pink by this stuff. If it rains, it runs down your face. I've seen it online work far better on other people, so I presume it has something to do with your hair texture. If your hair tends to not hold color well, Pravana is not really going to fix that. I also find the color to be misleading. Red? That's bright deep pink straight from the tube. But four stars because it's looked amazing on other people, and I've seen it, and the first four days are actually amazing. My hair looked like it was glowing from inside it was so bright. In those four days, I have literally never had more compliments on my hair (and it's been every color of the rainbow and then some). Just sharing my experience. Oh, also, it's cheap!

I am a licensed cosmetologist and I use this color line! I've never been up happy with any results! Very even tones. Always true to color. The reds are very vibrant and last long!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I'm not sure how I've missed writing a review on this. I've been coloring my hair at home with Pravana Chromasilk in 4G Golden Brown for about 2 years now. I mix it with the Pravana 20 developer. I'm around 20% gray and this does a good job of covering my grays. I love how shiny an natural this color looks. My hair stylist even told me to keep using this as he thought it was the perfect color for me.

My natural hair color (other than the grays) is about a shade darker than this and a little more ashy since I've gotten older. I'm very pleased with this and will continue to repurchase this.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

My stylist has used Pravana ChromaSilk colors on my hair the last few times she's done my all-over color, highlights and lowlights. We both could not be happier with the results! Long lasting, shiny, no damage, no strong scent, true colors. She uses coppers, reds and blondes, separately and mixed. Never any trouble with fading.

Love this product! I am 50% gray (maybe more, been coloring so long who really knows!) and this product completely covers my gray. I use Brown and the color is even and deep and doesn't fade. I stopped going to the salon where they use Aveda products as I could no longer afford a haircut and color. I dinked around with regular store brands but found they didn't totally cover my gray and the smell, yuck! So glad I found Pravana, it is well worth the price.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I have been using Pravana Chromasilk color with the No-Lift Developer with excellent results. I mix 2 very light ash blonde shades together as I am blending in my grey hair rather than attempting to color it over completely. This works beautifully. The result is a bit dark when it is first done, but after 2 or 3 shampoos it is nearly perfect. Easy to use, doesn't smell too bad, doesn't irritate my scalp. Very professional-looking results, and my hair is shiny and well-behaved. I'm going to continue using it and plan to try the Clear Shine Demi treatment soon as well.

I used a blend of Chroma light ash beige blonde, 7 blonde and 20 peroxide to cover my grays and blend my roots. Chroma covered my grays 100% and the color is comparable to results I used to get from a well known salon. I couldn't be happier to achieve such great results at home because that salon sure wasn't cheap and the grays seem to be coming in a lot faster lately.

I tried Clairol's Gray Busters and Fekkai home color with little gray coverage success.

For reference, I am over 50% gray/white and the texture of my hair is baby fine. I purchased Pravana Chroma from Extendedlengths.com.

HUGE rave for this product. I have dark brown hair and normally use Tigi color which is nice but this color is much better. I used 3/4 and zero lift developer and not only did my grey hair get totally covered but the color is shiny, rich and lovely. I left color on for 20 mins and I have had no scalp irritation so far so that is also a huge plus.

I also did the demi perm glossing treatment and it has left my hair beyond shiny and soft.

Cant say enough good things about this color and line in general. I have tried many products and have had fantastic results from all of them.

Popular Hair Color Products