Shiseido Shiseido Maquillage Eye Lash Curler

Shiseido  Shiseido Maquillage Eye Lash Curler

4.8

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

bought one when i travel to japan
it's everywhere there, i think you must buy this if you visit japan

my only eyelash curler that i really love
it fits perfectly on my eyes, doesn't pinch my skin

my eyelash looks so great whenever i use this and then apply a mascara

an essential tools for my eye look, i'm a fan of this product

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Out of all the lash products and tools I have tried over the years, I can credit the significant rise in my eyelash game to this Maquillage curler, along with the standard Shiseido curler. Both are great, but this is the Rolls Royce of curlers in my short-straight-lash world. I love this more than the Shu Uemura that I've used for the past decade. This will either become your ride-or-die, or it will be boringly mediocre...and it all depends on your eye shape and lash length.

Ergonomically, this is a pretty standard and simple design, and it comes in a dark, purple-grey toned metal that looks pretty cool. Nothing super exciting, though.

What makes this work for me is the shape and thinness. The clamp is not bulky, which allows me to move in and control it very precisely. That's invaluable, for anyone who has short lashes or flat eyes. (For someone with long lashes, it might not make a big difference). This curler has a flat curve -- even flatter than the standard Shiseido (which in turn, is flatter than the Shu Uemura). Out of all curlers, the shape of this hugs my lash line perfectly and gets every single hair. I can get extremely close to the root of my lashes, so I can start at the root, and clamp outwards gradually to form an organic-looking curl. No more L-shape bends for me!

It may take some practice, like all curlers and tools when it comes to beauty. And I think if you really went for it, you might accidentally clamp your eye a bit, but that can be countered by some careful practice and the great control this curler offers.

PROS
- Not bulky at all -- allows for optimal control
- Flat shape -- great for asian eyes, and allows you to get at every single lash from root to tip
- Simple design
- Compatible with Shiseido replacement pads

CONS
- Not for rounded eyes
- Might not be anything special for some people
- Can clamp skin if you're not careful

In many ways, the Maquillage curler is similar to the Shiseido curler, and they come from the same parent company, but the Maquillage just happens to work better for me. However, both are fantastic. For mascara recommendations to go along with the curler, Majolica Majorca has some great formulas, along with Isehan Heroine Make mascara. Both brands are Japanese, holds a curl like a boss, and are as waterproof as the day is long.

I also wanted to note that Maquillage is one of makeup lines by Shiseido, including Integrate, Majolica Majorca, Aupres. Maquillage is specifically a Japanese brand, and this curler runs cheaper when purchased in Japan. Online prices (if you buy from Amazon) may fluctuate.

on 4/6/2017 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Shu curler lover who wanted to find something with replacement pads. This curler is bigger than the Shu and doesn't quite fit my eye shape as well as the Shu curler, but I can make it work. Also, for some reason, it feels like something is getting in my eye (a lash or something) when I first position this curler. Once I get it all positioned right, it does curl my lashes beautifully.

on 11/8/2014 3:27:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

My curler's been going strong for years now and rarely needs replacement pads. I use it daily with great results!

Pros:
* easy to use
* gentle on lashes
* comes with replacement pad
* doesn't muck up my eyeliner

Cons:
* needs to be cleaned fairly often or it will gunk up

on 7/23/2014 8:56:00 PM

I recently switched to Shiseido after using the Shu Uemura lash curler for almost 20 years. I have owned the Shu Uemura since late 90s when roommate was Allure magazine Accessories Editor. I'd shown her a Vogue ad for a fancy mascara (probably Lancome) and asked if it would help with my puny "Asian" lashes and she emphatically said "no." Then she took me into her bathroom and showed me her Shu eyelash curler and said it would actually do something for my lashes versus just a mascara. I'd been okay with it. But in the past few weeks, I got fed up with how the Shu did not reach my outer and inner lashes to curl them. Trying to reach them would make the outer edges of the curler dig into the skin. The Shiseido curler is flatter and fits the shape of the bones around my eyes better.

The Shiseido's squeezing mechanism is tighter so I have to use light pressure to curl my lashes. If I squeeze too hard, the lashes curl too much, creating a radical crimp or "L"-shape. The curler fits my eye shape perfectly and all my lashes fit into it. This is what I do: After some experimenting, I have found that starting from the outer tips of my lashes (away from roots) and GENTLY closing the curler repeatedly while moving the curler toward the lash roots to introduce a graceful curve into the lashes is producing the best effect.

It took a little adjustment to switch to the Shiseido, but I'm glad I did. I'm giving it 4 stars because I wish the flatter shape could be combined with the less-tight squeezing mechanism of the Shu, which gives a more graceful curve ("C"-shape) instead of the Shiseido's more radical "crimp" or "L"-shape (if I use the curler normally instead of the way I describe above).

Unlike Shu's ridiculous claim that you need to buy a new curler of theirs every time the pad is worn out, you can get refill pads for the Shiseido. I'm actually changing my rating to 5 stars because of this!

on 7/31/2014 8:13:00 PM

It is definitely the best eyelash curler I have ever used. It curls the eyelashes perfectly because it can reach the inner and outer lashes without pinching the skin. Been using it for about 8 years now. I used to use Shu Uemuras, and I wish I had found out earlier that there was a curler more suitable for hazel eyes.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

Best eye lash curler I have found. I tried Shu Uemura first and always ended up with majorly crimped eye lashes. That has yet to happen with the Shiseido. It gives me perfectly curled lashes everytime. I always get compliments on my lashes.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

loves how it curls my lashes

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Love this eyelash curler! perfectly fit my hazel shape eyes. This will last me for ages.. x

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

For us 55+ foxes - no need to get frustrated with those out of wack lashes! Couple few days using this eyelash curler will also help train those lashes. This curler is very light and easy to use. And, it CURLS the eyelashes. Glad I purchased this curler...toss the others!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools