Almay One Coat Nourishing Mascara (Thickening)

Almay One Coat Nourishing Mascara (Thickening)

3.7

I love this mascara! It doesn't take more than two coats to get thicker looking lashes and the brush is the perfect size and shape for me (the one drawback of my all time favourite Almay Get Up and Grow which has the best formula IMO but it has an annoyingly huge bushy wand). I find that it builds at the base of the eyelash line and not the end of the lash so it doesn't look spidery, which is awesome. Overall a great find!

on 6/4/2016 8:10:00 AM

In spring I tend to have sensitive eyes and that's why I gave this mascara a try. It's a decent mascara, providing volume and a bit of length but nothing outstanding or special. I wouldn't go as far as to say I love this mascara but I find it good in terms of reliability (tears aren't an issue, the mascara stays put) and compatibility (no irritation).

To Read all 296 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have somewhat sensitive eyes that tend to tear if I don't let mascara completely dry for at least ten minutes if not more before I head out of the house. Monday-Friday, I apply my mascara at work and I have been doing so for the past 12 or so years because my eyes will start tearing if I am driving especially when it is sunny out.

Previously to buying this mascara, I had been using Ulta Amped Lashes which I love but I came across this mascara again and decided to give it a try again after swearing around 10 years ago I would never use it again. Well, once again, I will never buy this mascara and this time I mean it.

I have decent lashes so I am mostly looking for a bit of color and mascara that does not transfer to underneath my eyes by the end of the day making me look like someone punched me. In that aspect this mascara is great but the burn when I wear this is unbearable. I have been having major issues with my eyes for the past 2 weeks and it's because of this mascara. Now I remember why I hated this the first time I tried it. NEVER AGAIN. I will stick with either Ulta Amped Lashes or my trusted Avon Wash-Off Waterproof. If you have sensitive eyes DO NOT BUY ALMAY ONE COAT- you might end up like me!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Yay!!!

I had to break up with L'Oreal mascaras that I really liked because it was drying out my eyes like crazy. Thought it would be hard to find a gentle mascara with dramatic results but it turns out there was one right across the aisle by Almay! My eyes are definitely not dry and red anymore. I was surprised by how nice it looks on my lashes too. Gives me doll eyes. Lots of volume and length which I was not expecting because let's be real Almay packaging looks boring af and looks as it will barely tint your lashes? (but I guess it's better than super tacky neon packaging in huge tubes that are looking more and more like vibrators? like what's up with that) but since it's such a nice mascara I guess it has taught me not be such a judgy b****, so like, thanks Almay.

Oh it smudges a bit by the end of the day. Hence minus a lippie.

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

This mascara is seriously nothing special, but then again it doesn't really claim to be. I bought it because every other mascara was making me tear up and irritating my eyes (I'm looking at you, Benefit). I had always heard Almay was good for sensitive eyes, so when I saw it was BOGO at Bartell, I thought, "Hey, why not." You definitely need more than one coat if you want the mascara to look at least somewhat noticeable. For me, once I have applied at least three coats I'm good to go with a natural/subtle look. It just seems like a waste of product since I have to apply so many coats when it claims to be a "one coat" mascara.

I would say this is a good product for beginners who are just getting into mascara. As far as the benefits for sensitive eyes, it hasn't made me tear up/turn red yet, so at least that's good.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I'm giving this mascara a tentative 4 lipsticks and will update with further road testing.
In my quest for a less expensive alternative to Bobbi Brown's Smokey eye lash mascara, I decided to get Almay's One Coat Thickening mascara as it was on sale.
I used it once years ago and didn't like it because it didn't give me the volume I wanted. This was before I discovered the necessity of lash primers for my very thin Asian lashes.

I'm definitely impressed with the results of this mascara with my beloved Lancome Cils Booster primer. My lashes had great length and definition with reasonable volume. I prefer nicely defined lashes with natural volume instead of full on voluminous lashes in my older years. This mascara is definitely more lengthening than thickening.

My lashes stayed curled all day and there was just a hint of smudging by the end of a long day. (most mascaras smudge on me in varying degrees and I can't wear waterproof ones)
Removal is easy and effortless and my sensitive eyes are grateful that it's fragrance free.
As much as I like CG's Clump Crusher, that scent does bother my eyes somewhat.

Is it a dead on replacement for the Smokey eye lash mascara? Not quite but close enough for me and the price difference can't be ignored.

I hope Almay doesn't discontinue this product as my wallet will be happy.

EDIT to add: I think it's a decent mascara but it has a tendency to make my lashes look 'crispy'. Review revised to 3 lipsticks.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

After the tube dried out a bit and I scraped off all the excess, this had beautiful results. Thickened, lengthened, and curled my lashes. Unfortunately, the smudging was strong in this one and I will be trying the waterproof version. I recommend that you scrape most of the mascara off the brush before using to avoid clumps. This applies to all mascaras.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I'm pretty easy to please with mascara, all I ask is that the mascara helps my eyelashes look better than with nothing on and preferably not flake. This didn't do much for me. It was an ok product, but not one I feel the need to repurchase. I do like that my lashes feel soft, I hate when my lashes feel hard. It did flake on me though. I feel like this is pretty average, so I gave it an average rating.

on 1/1/2016 12:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This was my holy grail, but, the last two I bought were so wet and goopy I just made a big mess on the upper and lower lids, I thought I had a bad one so I tossed it and got one more.it took forever to dry making a bigger mess. I don't know what Almay did to this product but it is bad, sadly I have tossed my last one and moved on to a cruelty free brand, which is for the best anyway.

on 12/18/2015 9:22:00 PM

I really like this. Very basic, easy to use brush, natural looking lashes. Nothing spectacular but nothing bad to say about it either. This was my HG mascara about years ago until I decided to branch out and try every other mascara on the market. I only recently bought it again because it was on mega clearance at Shoppers which in my area is no longer carrying Almay??? Boo. However I got 2 tubes practically for free and Im enjoying it. Also, I do find I only need one coat with this...and it does indeed make my lashes look thicker...and I like that its a nice wet formula but not too gloopy and that the wand is small and simple. No major length or lift from this if that's what youre after but its nice