Almay One Coat Thickening Mascara

Almay One Coat Thickening Mascara
Almay One Coat Nourishing Thickening Mascara

3.7

Wow! I was not expecting to have such luck with this brand.

I am a contact wearer with sensitive eyes. All of the other drug store brand mascaras I've tried have ended up flaking and irritating my eyes a lot. I decided to give Almay a shot because they claim to be especially for sensitive skin. It only cost $4.99 for this tube of mascara at Target, and so to be honest I wasn't expecting much. The first time trying this, I was completely blown away! My eyelashes looked long, thick, beautiful, and clump free with just one coat. And the mascara lasts all day --not a single flake away. The best part is that this mascara also doesn't irritate my eyes. In fact, it actually feels kind of nice wearing it. Perhaps it's the conditioner it has in it.

This is going to be my go-to mascara from now on.

on 5/21/2017 5:44:00 PM

Never have I raved about a mascara that isn't waterproof, but I'm raving right now. As long as I curl my lashes properly, this stuff gives me nice, dense, pretty lashes and I love that it comes in a black brown option. It's an average price for a drugstore mascara and it doesn't have an obnoxious, bubblegum colored, over the top tube. Just simple white and purple, so another thumbs up! I haven't noticed flaking, but then again I don't check for that really. Best washable mascara I've come across so far.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Wow, I was not prepared for a mascara home run from Almay! Not that I wasn't expecting much, I just prefer very dramatic lashes and I didn't foresee this making the grade. Maybe it was the kind of boring packaging, or the fact that Almay is not a brand that screams "GLAM" to me, but I really didn't know if I would like this mascara too much..

Well, every once in a while on my makeup journey I am very pleasantly surprised! This is pretty much a winner across the board- the price is decent ($8.99), it's a volumizing formula that holds a curl super well, doesn't flake, doesn't smudge. The wand is average-sized, so I guess Almay didn't get the memo that every new mascara has to have a wand either super thin or massively caterpillar-huge (good on them- not everyone is "into" those).

If you're familiar with drugstore mascaras and looking for a comparison, I would say this achieves the same overall "look" as the Maybelline Lash Sensational or CG Super Sizer. The wand on the former is curved and a bit harder to apply; the wand on the latter is very small and thin. If you want volumized, curled lashes and don't mind just a regular spiral mascara wand, this One Coat is a great alternative for you. I was especially pleased that this mascara held a curl really well and didn't smudge at ALL after 10+ hours of wear. This is kind of a rarity for me with mascaras, so yes I will be repurchasing!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is one of the few mascaras that I have liked that I can actually use due to super sensitive eyes. I have to throw away my mascara every few weeks. I love Tarte brand mascaras, they never irritate my eyes, they are hypoallergenic with more natural ingredients. So while I love and recommend Tarte lights, camera, lashes, I don't love throwing away over half a tube of expensive mascara every few weeks. Professional makeup artists say it's better to replace mascara every two weeks and use a really good eyelash curler (Shiseido is my all time favorite). Almay gives nice coverage in two coats, is non irritating and doesn't give me raccoon eyes.

on 9/7/2016 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Provided good volume, but after four hours I had raccoon eyes, and it wasn't even hot outside. Actually, I was only outside for a few minutes & spent the rest of the time in an air-conditioned library. Maybe the waterproof formula will last longer... Will not repurchase.

I love this mascara! It doesn't take more than two coats to get thicker looking lashes and the brush is the perfect size and shape for me (the one drawback of my all time favourite Almay Get Up and Grow which has the best formula IMO but it has an annoyingly huge bushy wand). I find that it builds at the base of the eyelash line and not the end of the lash so it doesn't look spidery, which is awesome. Overall a great find!

on 6/4/2016 8:10:00 AM

In spring I tend to have sensitive eyes and that's why I gave this mascara a try. It's a decent mascara, providing volume and a bit of length but nothing outstanding or special. I wouldn't go as far as to say I love this mascara but I find it good in terms of reliability (tears aren't an issue, the mascara stays put) and compatibility (no irritation).

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have somewhat sensitive eyes that tend to tear if I don't let mascara completely dry for at least ten minutes if not more before I head out of the house. Monday-Friday, I apply my mascara at work and I have been doing so for the past 12 or so years because my eyes will start tearing if I am driving especially when it is sunny out.

Previously to buying this mascara, I had been using Ulta Amped Lashes which I love but I came across this mascara again and decided to give it a try again after swearing around 10 years ago I would never use it again. Well, once again, I will never buy this mascara and this time I mean it.

I have decent lashes so I am mostly looking for a bit of color and mascara that does not transfer to underneath my eyes by the end of the day making me look like someone punched me. In that aspect this mascara is great but the burn when I wear this is unbearable. I have been having major issues with my eyes for the past 2 weeks and it's because of this mascara. Now I remember why I hated this the first time I tried it. NEVER AGAIN. I will stick with either Ulta Amped Lashes or my trusted Avon Wash-Off Waterproof. If you have sensitive eyes DO NOT BUY ALMAY ONE COAT- you might end up like me!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Yay!!!

I had to break up with L'Oreal mascaras that I really liked because it was drying out my eyes like crazy. Thought it would be hard to find a gentle mascara with dramatic results but it turns out there was one right across the aisle by Almay! My eyes are definitely not dry and red anymore. I was surprised by how nice it looks on my lashes too. Gives me doll eyes. Lots of volume and length which I was not expecting because let's be real Almay packaging looks boring af and looks as it will barely tint your lashes? (but I guess it's better than super tacky neon packaging in huge tubes that are looking more and more like vibrators? like what's up with that) but since it's such a nice mascara I guess it has taught me not be such a judgy b****, so like, thanks Almay.

Oh it smudges a bit by the end of the day. Hence minus a lippie.

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

This mascara is seriously nothing special, but then again it doesn't really claim to be. I bought it because every other mascara was making me tear up and irritating my eyes (I'm looking at you, Benefit). I had always heard Almay was good for sensitive eyes, so when I saw it was BOGO at Bartell, I thought, "Hey, why not." You definitely need more than one coat if you want the mascara to look at least somewhat noticeable. For me, once I have applied at least three coats I'm good to go with a natural/subtle look. It just seems like a waste of product since I have to apply so many coats when it claims to be a "one coat" mascara.

I would say this is a good product for beginners who are just getting into mascara. As far as the benefits for sensitive eyes, it hasn't made me tear up/turn red yet, so at least that's good.