Bobbi Brown Perfectly Defined Mascara

Bobbi Brown Perfectly Defined Mascara

3.2

water - acrylates copolymer - kaolin - silica - beeswax - butylene glycol - peg-15 glycerl stearate - alcohol denat. - carnauba wax - hydrogenated rapeseed alcohol - polyvinyl alcohol - bentonite - tocopherol - jojoba seed oil - dimethicone - simethicone - stearic acid - sucrose distearate - aminomethyl propanediol - aminomethyl propanol - sodium citrate - phenoxyethanol - chlorphenesin - sodium dehydroacetate [ /- mica - titanium dioxide (ci 77891) - iron oxides (ci 77491, 77492, 77499) - manganese violet (ci 77742) - yellow 5 lake (ci 19140) - chromium oxide greens (ci 77288) - chromium hydroxide green (ci 77289) - carmine (ci 75470) - bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163) - blue lake 1 (ci 42090) - ultramarines (ci 77007)].

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Clumpsville... I LOVE it!!! 💛💛💛

on 12/21/2016 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this as part of a trio of Bobbi Brown products on QVC, I had never tried anything from Bobbi Brown Before so I was super excited to trial them. The packaging on this thing is lovely it was a sort of mirrored tube which might have been exclusive to the set I bought it in. My first impressions on this mascara were fairly okay, it lifted and separated the lashes well, it opened my eyes up quite nicely. I found I had to work quickly with it as it dries quite fast and will stick lashes together if you're not careful. The consistency appears to be nice and even. This mascara is a nice mascara but it isn't amazing and certainly not comparable to that of Benefit's They're Real which blew me away. I used this solidly for about a week and each night I found it incredibly hard to take off which was gutting because this was becoming a staple in my routine as a nice daily mascara. I found that it was coming off in sort of crumbs that were getting caught in my eye and irritating it, I tried breaking it down by rubbing balms into my lashes which was taking it off but the balm was also making contact with my eyes and irritating it. In the end I gave up and put it into a box with the rest of the mascaras I wasn't using at the time.

Months later I took up using Micellar water, the oil infused one by Garnier to be specific and I had a brainwave that perhaps the reason the mascara wasn't coming off was because I was trying to wipe it away with wipes rather than break it down first so for the first time in months I whipped it out applied it and took it off later by holding a pad with micellar water to my eyes for about 10 seconds and wiping. It worked brilliantly, now I think about it I don't know why I didn't do it before as it just seems like common sense.

I wouldn't like to say I won't buy this product again it's possible that I may but at the moment I feel like there are far better competitors on the high street makeup market let alone higher end brands.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have straight long heavy lashes, so I need a product that does not weight down my lashes. Unfortunately this doesn't do the trick. I find this mascara clumps easily and after a few minutes my lashes are straight even after I used a curler.
I like the packaging but I think is too expensive for what you get,

on 10/9/2011 1:52:00 PM

This mascara is a little deceptive. It goes on okay. Separates and thickens okay. But getting it off is a lot of effort. Using Clinique's purple, dual-phase remover this mascara crumbles off and it takes forever.

on 5/16/2011 5:53:00 PM

This is my everyday mascara, at night I go bigger with a volumizing mascara with a lash primer. But I have spent AGES looking for something that would stay on through my workouts, swimming and all nighters. I have lots and lots of those, and I haven't had a single smudge, flake or smear with this one. It's not volumizing or lengthening, but I like that for day. Taking it off isn't a problem for me, I do it in the shower, and just rinse, rub, and rinse again.

on 2/14/2011 7:35:00 PM

I love this mascara! I was suffering with racoon eyes through the Australian summer and received a sample of this whilst picking up something else at the Bobbi Brown Counter.
I only wear it during the work week as it does take time to remove compared to normal mascaras. I have found the best method is to take it off in the shower. I stick my head under the shower spray for like 30 seconds to soften it up and then I cleanse my face with Clinique Take the Day Off lotion and find that this comes off without any dramas.
I do like to give my lashes a rest on weekends though so I just wear a normal mascara then.

on 12/12/2010 4:46:00 AM

This mascara does exactly what it says it will. Its a perfect everyday mascara, and multiple layers can easily take it to a night time look.
More importantly though - it NEVER clumps. It is so easy and quick to use. Am very happy with it. While drugstore brands are cheap and good too, I am always annoyed that they clump. So for me, I don't mind paying the extra to avoid that!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

UPDATE (2012-02-17): BOYCOTTING RE. CURRENT ANIMAL TESTING FOR CHINESE MARKET

UPDATE (02/2012): now discontinued. The replacement (2013) is Intensifying Long-Wear mascara. Looks similar but itchy flakies.

Seriously good tubing mascara with a first-class brush. Zero irritation. The formula is very very very like that of Clinique Lash Power (see ingredient list and comparison at end of review). PerfDef = costs more but more volume, better staying-power, less flakeage, longer lasting: L-Power dries out in 4-6 weeks vs 3 months+ for PerfDef.

Like other tubing mascaras, this forms polymer tubes around lashes, which dry and stay: smudgeproof and waterproof; resistant to smudging and running c/o tears, sweat, oily eye creams. One issue with some other tubing mascaras is that they can dry very fast, not giving you time to comb through lashes, and resulting in clumping and the 5-legged spider effect. PerfDef is (so far) the slowest-drying I've used, allowing time to comb and tweak, and indeed to add a coat. Also means the tube lasts longer before starting to dry out. Clinique's Lash Power would be the second-best on this (and Blinc etc. not as good).

Note that this is a natural-look mascara: look elsewhere for false-lash effects, Tammy Faye, and so on. It's a mascara for everyday wear. YBB. This stuff is lovely with one coat only; and tested side by side with the Clinique tuber, the Bobbi Brown one gives a slightly lusher fuller effect.

The brush is fabulous: short, slim, perfection for getting every lash. It's slightly less curved at the ends than the Lash Power brush (see photo at end of review). Both are great brushes for getting colour right down to the lash-roots--an issue for us paler-lashed folks--and the short wand helps steady control. The combination is as good as it gets for precise application.

Lashes feel nice and soft, even the morning after being left on overnight. Much softer than with even the flutteriest of old-style waterproof mascaras. Waterproof--tested this in heavy rain and swimming--and long-lasting--tested out by partying then sleeping in it. Tested out side by side with the Clinique version, Perfectly Defined is less flaky. That is: the next morning, there were a few flakes (about 3 for an eye, but 99% of the mascara was still there, top and bottom) but they were larger than the Clinique ones, could be picked off cheek, and actually that previous day's mascara would have been wearable the next. For the Clinique, though, there was far more flaking, with smaller flakes (also got in eyes, annoyingly). Maybe 5% of mascara left on lower lashes and 75% on top ones. So for endurance: the Bobbi Brown version wins.

Removal is, as with other tubing mascaras, the big issue. If you're new to this, give yourself a little time and several attempts to learn how. This stuff will only come off with warm water (at above body temperature, for reasons that ought to be obvious) accompanied by light pressure. Just use fingers, be gentle. Try one eye at a time: splash lots of warm water on it (should be at least 38-39C), cup water in hand and pour over closed eye, then start using fingers directly on the lashes. Pinch, hold, pull gently. This is the tricky part: but once you've got the technique working, it's plain sailing. If there's no budging, DON'T resort fo brute force: keep adding more water, hold water and whole hand over eye, and if all else fails, fill a basin of water, stick the relevant sections of face in it, place hand underwater and continue the pressure business with fingers from there, underwater. Not needing extra makeup removers* and cotton-wool pads can save money in the long run, and cutting cotton-wool pad consumption give the tubers a slight environmental plus point.

Costs around USD22.00 / CAD 29.00 for a 6 ml tube. The Clinique version is a better buy. Both are fragrance-free, properly tested on sensitive humans, and cruelty-free (as is Blinc, but not Kanebo, and I've yet to find any information on Imju's animal-testing status).

INGREDIENTS AND COMPARISON WITH CLINIQUE LASH POWER ING (main difference = preservatives: BB = no disodium EDTA & parabens; worth knowing if that's an issue for you): BOBBI BROWN PERFECTLY DEFINING
water - acrylates copolymer - kaolin - silica - beeswax - butylene glycol - peg-15 glycerl stearate - alcohol denat. - carnauba wax - hydrogenated rapeseed alcohol - polyvinyl alcohol - bentonite - tocopherol - jojoba seed oil - dimethicone - simethicone - stearic acid - sucrose distearate - aminomethyl propanediol - aminomethyl propanol - sodium citrate - phenoxyethanol - chlorphenesin - sodium dehydroacetate [ +/- mica - titanium dioxide (ci 77891) - iron oxides (ci 77491, 77492, 77499) - manganese violet (ci 77742) - yellow 5 lake (ci 19140) - chromium oxide greens (ci 77288) - chromium hydroxide green (ci 77289) - carmine (ci 75470) - bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163) - blue lake 1 (ci 42090) - ultramarines (ci 77007)].

CLINIQUE LASH POWER
water - acrylates copolymer - kaolin - silica - beeswax - butylene glycol - peg-15 glycerl stearate - carnauba wax - alcohol denat. - hydrogenated rapeseed oil - polyvinyl alcohol - bentonite - tocopherol - jojoba seed oil - dimethicone - simethicone - stearic acid - sucrose distearate - aminomethyl propanediol - aminoethyl propanediol - sodium citrate - disodium edta - phenoxyethanol - methylparaben - ethylparaben - propylparaben - butylparaben - [+ /- mica - iron oxides (ci 77491, 77492, 77499) - titanium dioxide (ci 77891) - ultramarines (ci 77007) - blue lake 1 (ci 42090) - bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163) - carmine (ci 75470) - chromium hydroxide green (ci 77289) - chromium oxide greens (ci 77288) - yellow 5 lake (ci 19140) - manganese violet (ci 77742)].

Comparison of brushes and wands (click "continued" to view):

*Though I tend to use oil for makeup removal anyhow. continued >>

on 6/9/2010 11:59:00 AM

I thought this mascara did what it was supposed to...it gave me really defined lashes and I thought it did wonders for length. no added volume though which is too bad (but I didn't expect volume either). To sum up: great length and good separation. Too expensive to buy again.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Ooops, seems I'm the minority here, but all I can say is WOOOW!
My lashes are long, literally colourless and very, very thin and fluffy. I need something to hold the curl, and I hate thick formulas like Diorshow Iconic that make me look like I have 3 thick clued lashes))) I got what I wanted! This mascara holds the curl very nicely, I didn't even use a curler today and yes, it defines! It reminds me much of Kanebo 38C, but this one holds the curl way better. And it looks like true black... well it's not that Iconic blackest black, but at least not dark grey! Girls with fine lashes like mine, give it a try!

Upd. Now I've been using it for a week. Well, it's really a bit harder to rinse than Kanebo's. You'll heed warmer water to do it quickly, almost hot, but... Doesn't smudge and oh that curl - still 5 lippies!