Byredo Gypsy Water

3.6

on 4/15/2018 11:24:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have to agree completely with Gother who left his/her review in 2013. This fragrance lasts at most an hour. For one who detests fragrances that others can smell from a distance and prefers subtlety in fragrance, makeup, and clothes, this is just too darn subtle for me. I succombed to the hype, having spritzed it on at the uber chic boutique in my area, Kima Zabete. I think I was buying into feeling like I was wearing something that few knew about and as I really don't care for Byredo's other scents, this was my only option. When Saks had a 10% off everything event, I caved. I used this all winter to use it up. I have not received one comment on how I smelled, either good or bad. My favorites Chanel Sycomore, Lubin Gin Fizz, Kurdijian Universale, Hermes Eau d' Merveille and even Kurdijian Lumiere Noire sprayed lightly elicit some response. Not this loser. MEH!

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I'm a man and I love this scent. At first I was concerned because I thought it leaned more toward the feminine. However, with a man's chemistry, it's something all together different. I love the bright opening that transitions into a woodsy sent and then dries down to incense with hints of powder. I receive numerous compliments and I'm very seriously thinking about making this my signature. Give it a shot because it definitely grows on you.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I came back to buy another Byredo fragrance when I was visiting Warsaw (I cannot recommend an excellent perfume shop Galilu in Mokotowska Street with very helpful and knowledgeable shop assistants) and I was toying between this and Seven Veils. As SV was sold out, I came out with a very generous sample and an oil version of this one (I was travelling with hand luggage only and in the end decided to get just a small 7.5 ml bottle rather than 100 ml!)

Unfortunately this was not going to be a love affair like with Bal d'Afrique, although at first sniff and based on description it sounded ideal (plus apparently it is a favourite Sienna Miller's perfume and who would not like to smell like Sienna? ;) ) - vanilla and sandalwood in the base, bergamot and citrus at the start, what is not to like. Helas! it turns very masculine on me and quite harsh so after using up my 7.5 ml (I still have a looooooong while to go!) I will not repurchase.

on 6/25/2014 11:50:00 AM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

Not my scent. The Barney's sales associate told me that Gypsy Water was one of their most popular scents. I sniffed the bottle and it seemed promising, but on me I smell a brief burst of lemon that transforms rapidly into incense. It reminds me of what my car's seatbelts smell like at the moment, which absorbed the CK Obsession my SO had sprayed on his shirt. If that sounds like your cup of tea, you may like Gypsy Water more than I did.

on 6/8/2014 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This was my first incense-based fragrance. I bought after a long search and I fell in love with the incense heart. However, it is quite a complex scent, with a head of lemon an pepper and a base of amber and sandalwood.

It is quite a heavy, winter fragrance. I also love the round, simple bottle and the black top. However, I find its lasting power slightly weak fir such an expensive perfume, and the incense note not strong enough. I am glad I found Bois D'Encense by Armani, which is exactly the type of scent I wanted.

on 4/27/2013 1:46:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I have heard great things about this fragrance and it was recommended to my by the SA after I mentioned I was looking for something light and casual for everyday. I sprayed a couple of fragrances on and I was drawn to this one. It smelled soft, like sandalwood with an interesting twist. However, I sprayed more on later in the day, and the scent was overpowering and literally made me nauseated. I had to shower it off. I read the reviews online and didn't understand how people described it as a sweet lemon because I had smelled soft woods at first. Later on, I had a different experience and found it too sweet and cloying. It was not pleasant on me at all. This was not something I would like to smell like. I gave it one more try the next day with the same result. Contrary to some reviews, I found this to last on my skin for hours and even longer on my scarf. I guess this one is like all perfumes, where it is different depending on body chemistry. I definitely recommend wearing it for a few hours at least to see how it changes. Unfortunately, I had to return it.

on 3/31/2013 5:55:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Eyes: Violet

I would define Gypsy Water as a fragrance for the fragrance shy, as it is very feeble, almost undetectable I'd say, and discreet.
This alone makes it a very elegant fragrance, if only... I could smell it!
Byredo house defines this as a Woody Aromatic fragrance for women and men (it's more masculine than feminine). Similar to a cologne, just a little bit deeper on the aromatic part and lighter on the citrus.
As for the pyramid: top notes are bergamot, lemon, pepper and juniper; middle notes are incense, pine needles and orris root; base notes are amber, vanilla and sandalwood.
What I definitely smell are the juniper berries, full and aromatic, and a distinct mic of incense and andalwood, which makes the most interesting part of it.
The citrus, as I said, is present, but never overwhelming, not enough to define it a citrus scent. It's more like lemon leaves than lemon juice.
OK, good, it's good, but the very short longevity of it (10 minutes?) makes me shun from getting the FB. I hope someone is luckier.

on 3/26/2013 5:10:00 PM

Very light and transparent on me, almost like scented water. If I splash it very generously, it becomes deliciously radiant, reminding me of Laura Biagiotti's Tempore Donna minus the chocolate note. It's a peaceful scent. I sometimes wear it to bed.

on 11/18/2012 1:50:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Masculine, powdery sandalwood with leather notes. Not bad, but I don't care for it. It's almost old fashioned, like something a grandfather would wear from the 1920s. I like the oily neroli-based colognes from that era, but this one is dry and powdery with a sandalwood edge that turns me right off. Not remotely something I would wear voluntarily, while not being offensive.

First of all, let me say “thank you” to the wonderful MUAer who suggested this review today (Spring Pansy, it’s you!). I got this bottle during spring last year, wore it a lot then, and just neglected it during last spring and summer. But I am glad I am wearing it today… early fall afternoons are still good for it!

Why am I saying all that? I will explain if you keep on reading. On my skin, this scent changes a lot depending on the weather conditions: when it’s too warm, the citrus takes over and this is not the kind of citrus that will go away after the first minutes (Mr. Epinette, please share the secret, LOL!). On the other hand, it does need some heat to develop, so in cold days, it ends up smelling like plain sandalwood, Tam Dao style. It’s not that I dislike citrus or sandalwood, I love both of them, but I have enough citrus or sandalwood based fragrances to choose from, so I hardly reach for Gypsy Water in extreme temperatures. But when the weather is “right” for it, it can be really magic.

I personally think the name is misleading. This won’t conjure mental images of gypsies in colorful clothes dancing around a campfire at dusk. The fragrance fits better to the simple designs of bottling and packaging of the Byredo products than to its name. Talking about packaging, the Byredo boxes are absolutely stunning. I love them so much, that I gifted a friend with a bottle of Seven Veils earlier this year and wrapped the box in just one more layer of clear cellophane and put some ribbons. But that’s another story…

Back to Gypsy Water, I guess I should start with the notes. According to Fragrantica, the top notes are: bergamot, lemon, pepper and juniper. The middle notes are: incense, pine needles and orris root. The base notes are: amber, vanilla and sandalwood. But how does it smell like? As I said before, it will depend on the temperature and how much you spritz. On my skin today, it started off with a lot of citrus, not too much pepper and something just a tiny little herbal. I don’t know how juniper smells like, but I guess this is it.

As it dries down, it has less citrus and a bit of smoke (hey, there is incense!), lots of good sandalwood and some underlying sweetness because of the amber and vanilla combo. But this is definitely not a sweet perfume. I’m not a chemist or a perfume expert, but the vanilla accord here seems to come from lignin, instead of vanillin. It shares the same “old library vibe” who those familiar with L’Artisan Dzing! and Diptyque Eau Duelle can detect. But of course the vanilla here plays just a supporting role, it is not the star of the show as it is in the two fragrances I mentioned. But yes, I could say they are all distant cousins and Gypsy Water is my favorite among them.

I see Gypsy Water as a unisex fragrance but I am pretty sure men can pull it off better than women in extreme weather conditions, since citrus and sandalwood are, in my opinion, the spine of most of the good masculine scents. But it doesn’t lean towards any gender, really. There is not too much projection, unless you bathe in it (which I wouldn’t recommend considering the price of the juice) and the lasting power is fairly good. This will last for roughly 6 hours on the skin and, after that, what remains is a pleasant skin scent.

Popular Fragrances