John Frieda Sheer Blonde Color Renew Tone-Restoring Shampoo

John Frieda Sheer Blonde Color Renew Tone-Restoring Shampoo
Sheer Blonde Color Renew Tone-Restoring Shampoo

3.7

on 8/20/2016 1:49:00 PM

Level 6 hair bleached up to level 9, so lightest blond before nearly platinum. In short, cuticle blown wide open, easy to tone hair with slightly yellow hue.

As all purple shampoos where I live have to be joico (fairly drying), ordered online, or this one, in a pinch I bought this one. This product was left in for an hour and generously applied. It did absolutely nothing. At all. Except dry it out a little. I understand building the colour up with multiple shampoos could help it work, however unless you're a natural blond, you don't want to be shampooing, and not with a drying product, nearly that often.

The market is full of good purple shampoos between $10 (blonde brilliance) and $25 (sachajuan, naissant, drybar blonde ale...many) that work properly with one application and last at least a week or two til the next. It's a reasonable expectation for medium to light blonds. Paying $9-14 for this shampoo vs not wasting your money and paying a touch more will get you far superior, gentler, and gorgeous results. Consider a good one needs 1 per week or 2 application and compare how long that'll last against this shampoo which would need nearly daily application, and your budget will balance out.

Needless to say, this product was returned.

on 3/5/2016 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This did not help to remove ANY of the yellow/brassy tones in my hair. I was pretty disappointed. (Joico's color endure violet did the trick though)

To Read all 107 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

love this!! really helped tone the brassiness in my hair. made it a nice platinum color. I'm a natural brunette and my hair does not like bleach at all. this really helped. it can be a bit drying though. I don't use it every day. 3x a week keeps the brass away for me.

on 2/28/2015 8:01:00 PM

One word AMAZING!!!!!! I had bleached my hair trying to go from dark purple to my natural light blonde but of course it went bright ginger ( clearly not the aim) saw this shampoo thought what the heck maybe it'll tone it down a tiny bit until I could get to the hairdressers. I left this on for a good hour and the difference was UNBELIEVABLE I honestly couldn't believe the difference it made, it was like I had dyed it! My hair went from dry damaged bright ginger mess to soft light strawberry blonde. I use this product every time I lighten my hair to get rid of any red tones. Bit of a life saver product didn't have to walk around like a carrot!

on 2/18/2015 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I have mixed feelings about this shampoo, I like the fact that is a very dark purple color and that is a little less harsh than Shimmer Lights, leaves my hair really shiny and frizz free however, it's very drying so I can only use it when my hair is really dirty and I have a suspicion that this shampoo is yanking my hair color out and giving me a funky tone.
EDIT: woke up with orange brassy hair.

on 1/27/2015 11:52:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This stuff seems milder and less chemical-y compared to other silver shampoos, but it still works pretty well on my undyed, sandy blonde hair.

It does feel like it doesn't really wash as well as regular shampoos do, as I have to wash my hair every 2 days when I'm using this (I usually wash every 3 days). It's also a bit drying, but the smell isn't too strong, and it feels more gentle than most other silver shampoos I've used.

on 11/8/2014 3:29:00 PM

I love this shampoo! I'm a natural blonde with red undertones so when I get my hair highlighted, they turn brassy rather quickly. I started using the shampoo and conditioner because I heard great things about it. My hair still looks the same as the day I left the salon. There is no brassy color to my hair what so ever. I do have dry hair so once a week I do a deep conditioning treatment to keep the moisture there. Very happy with this product and will continue buying it!

on 7/25/2014 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I saw immediate results using the shampoo and conditioner. Specifically, I left the JF conditioner in my hair for quite a few hours (while at home), then washed my hair yesterday evening with the JF shampoo (left it in for ~7 minutes) and then rinsed with the JF conditioner again. I woke up this morning after my hair dried and I could immediately see results. I have medium to dark brown hair that had orange/brassy tones after using ColorOops to get out months-old black dye, and this worked liked a charm. It wasn't miraculous, but after one use I could see that strands that were once copper orange were now a nice, light blonde. I look forward to continue using this product to to see if even more brassiness comes out. Very satisfied with this product, and it smells great too.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Didn't work well for myself. I recently went from dark dark brown (might say black) to platinum blonde. Had been using L'oreal Professional Silver shampoo. It is a very dark purple and I use it everyday and leave on for at least 3 minutes. Keeps my hair from going brassy. The John Frieda actually made my hair brassy. Shampoo for blonde hair needs to be dark purple in order for it to actually keep your hair colour looking good and keep you from having to tone it weekly.

on 3/6/2014 1:30:00 AM

This shampoo is absolutely amazing! I use it together with the conditioner and while I have been using these products, my hair has turned from brown to brown with a tinge of blonde. I have gotten so many compliments on my hair since I've started using this. Highly recommended!