NARS Cosmetics Night Star

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
NARS Cosmetics Night Star

2.8

on 4/14/2011 12:25:00 AM

After reading the poor reviews here, I thought I might have to return it but have been pleasantly surprised by my results. I bought this product because I felt that the glitter in it was unique to the NARS brand and I didn't want to just purchase an eye shadow that I could find elsewhere. I accomplished this with NARS Hungry Heart Duo (another controversial product) that I can add on top of all my other blushes to give it the NARS glittery effect (not to be combined with Night Star, thatís too much sparkle!). If Iím going to fork out the dough, itís gotta be special! And I think this is so far. The gold particles in Night Star seem to be actual glitter, very high quality and sparkly as they dazzle in the light, yet it is very dispersed (not very concentrated) in the shadow, so it makes a subtle yet radiant statement. Itís NOT shimmery at all, as to not create unflattering texture or disco ball eye lids, just glow. It has been great for both day time and evening looks and goes on great over matte colors from neon high fashion colors (like the #5 Coral from MUFE) to naked/naturals for the workplace (like Cargo's essential palette) and just lightens them a tad, not really effecting the hue too much (I like the fact that it is mostly transparent). The gold flecks lasted all day over shadow and primer without any touch-ups. I was surprised! This is definitely an eye shadow to get for that extra kick to your look and a product indicative of the NARS brand. Itís not a must-have, but a great addition for those into the finer things of the material plane!

on 11/30/2010 3:59:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

My initial impression of this is that I'm glad I swapped for it and didn't pay $22 for it. So, I have used this for two days. The first day, I applied it over my ELF primer (which is amazing, BTW...see my review!). It hardly even showed up. I was sooooooo disappointed, especially after reading all the reviews on here that it is an every day staple for a lot of people. The next day, I applied it over UDPP and the color showed up. It is just a peachy skin tone. Not much of the glitter stayed with the pigment so it ended up being kind of matte. I guess I'm going to have to use UDPP with this shadow, which is unfortunate because the only other shadows that did not perform well with the ELF primer are cheap drugstore brands. All my mid to high end stuff works fine with the ELF to the point that I can't tell whether I have on that or the UDPP. I hope all NARS shadows aren't like this (this is the first one I've tried). So, over all, I would not buy this again, and I might even put it up for swap. Even though I like good neutrals for highlighting and all over color, I don't like poor quality....and this seems kind of poor quality, especially for the steep price tag.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love this for a night time look. I use it with the Nars Key Largo for a sparkly bronzy look. I don't tend to use this in the day because of all the glitter but I like to keep it for nights out. It is expensive but you get a lot in the pan and you only need to use a tiny amount.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is the first eyeshadow that I have EVER hit the pan with. I use it every single day and it gives the right amount of sheen pretty gold sparkles that I can't live without this. It's very light, but come on- it's a gold/light eyeshadow- it's not going to have much layering power. It's a great color to always have in your bag for those inner corners, and brow bones! LOVE IT!

on 2/13/2009 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a vanilla / beige-ish color with gold flecks / shimmer. Its a very nice color in the pan, it doesn't show up so well on the lids. I use it sometimes, but its just kind of blah. I agree with other posters, for what this cost, it should show up. I guess it depends on what you want. If you want something really light, that you can't really see, this is for you. The packaging of these e/s are nice, there is a little mirror in them, but the color is not a repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

For an expensive price tag NARS eyeshadows are definitely NOT WORTH IT!!!!! The colors don't show up very well on the skin, and it's very difficult to apply and pack on the color...Not good for blending...it's not even good as a base color. Spend your money on a better shadow

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I usually love my NARS shadows. Really I do. But I completely regret the $25 I spent on Night Star because frankly, it doesn't show up on my MAC NC 30/35 skin. At all. In the pan it looked like a gorgeous shimmery light beige that would create a polished but not glitzy look - Night star pretty much creates no look period. It's pigment level is really really low and any shimmer in the pan is undetectable on your skin. Pretty much any color in the pan is undetectable on your skin. To make things worse, it crumbled horribly in the pan after a while. I would have expected this from a $5 drugstore eyeshadow, not an eyeshadow from NARS. BIG dissapointment.

i use this when i need a dry base for my lids, it has a light shimmer and shows up slighlty tan beige on my light olive skin

mainly, it helps me neutralize any redness i may have in my lids due to allergies , contact lenses, etc.

As a product: This is definitely one of NARS' chalky shadows (I find that most of their light or pastel shades are). It is not as soft as other. Many complain about the "night series" shadows being either unpigmented or redundant; I have to agree with this particular shade. For $21, I prefer the color to be more rich and long-lasting, although I am a sucker for the signature black casing.

As a color: Night Star is a basic neutral beige with gold glitter pieces. While it is very blendable, the application process often whisks away the sparkles that make this shade so appealing in the pan, leaving your eye with a somewhat chalky beige. When applied wet, it is a much more brilliant shade, although when the water (or your mixing medium of choice) evaporates, it still leaves you with a sheer chalky mess :(

As a whole: Only when applied wet does this have promise, however, there are many other better shimmery beige shadows in the vast cosmetic world that there are better (guaranteed!)

Complementary products: If you can manage to wring some color from Night Star, it looks lovely with a shimmery peach shade on the outer half of the eye (i.e. MAC paradisco or NARS Faith) and a brown liner (i.e. Clinique Chocolate Luster). A shimmery pink blush (i.e. NARS orgasm) and a bright pink gloss (i.e. Clinique Cosmic Pink or MAC Lychee Luxe) finish off the look.

I love Night Star. From reading the reviews, it seems like most people think it's really light and I think that's the point of it. I like it for a bit of glimmer. Or I use it as a highlighter on the brow.

I do tend to use it over NARS Danceteria glitter pencil which deepens that pale glittery color. Surprisingly, this color goes well with a light gray in the crease. I've been thinking it would also look really stunning with a bright green on the lower lash line.